The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Zag (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I'm considering buying Mike Gallo's Zag coin. My main hesitation is that it looks like just what it is--a gimmick. Even if you borrow a coin and switch it with a spellbound move or something, it looks like a gimmick, to me, anyway.

I am not even sure what you are supposed to do with it. Any thought on this?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry, but, I can't understand why you would consider spending money on a PROP that "...looks like just what it is--a gimmick"

A "gimmick" is, by definition, an unseen device used in the performance of a trick. So, the coin may be gimmickED, but, it is not in itself a gimmick.

I (me) would never buy any prop I was "...not even sure what you are supposed to do with it."

Ya asked for "thought on this". So, I obliged.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Much obliged
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
By the way, Dick---i was just asking about it, as in I would like to know more about it. What I was doing was asking a question so as to learn more about the thing.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1805 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
We know what you meant fonda57.
You asked about a particular item and got a holier than thou "lesson" in semantics.

I've got the same thoughts as you on it -- seems too obvious that there must have been a switch.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Thanks for the nice response, Inigmntoya. That's what it seems like, yes---obvious. I trust Mike Gallo, but I am not sure about this one.

Magic is fun
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
959 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Watching it,
even "as a Magician",
...I enjoyed it.
I didn't really give thought to the 'method' or 'coin'.

I simply found it to be fun,...funny.
Enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/Xx-Do92YFqM

Gallagher
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Cool
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Do you expect people to believe the coin actually moving like that and tell their friends about the magician morphing coins like that? that will never happen.
Is it a funny, off-beat gimmick that will make people laugh? probably.
I rarely buy things like that, the bite-out coin, karate coin, this thing, etc. I just don't like carrying extra objects in my pocket unless they are trully essential. When I'm out performing I'll only carry four coins and a deck of cards, maybe a pen, but that's a maybe!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
You asked about a particular item and got a holier than thou "lesson" in semantics.

I've got the same thoughts as you on it -- seems too obvious that there must have been a switch.

No, inigmntoya, I'm not holier than thou. I just lose patience with some people who don't express themselves very well.

The "marquee" expresses it..."Magicians helping magicians" I try to help by explaining basic terms, and broadening the thinking of those sincerely interested.

How many young beginners have YOU MENTORED? --I've lost count of how many I have mentored. MANY of them are now successful, full time professionals.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
will lane
View Profile
Regular user
Will likes to post so he has made
159 Posts

Profile of will lane
I think these kinds of effects could be done more so as a gag. But, I think they also could be does as a serious performance. I posted about a small D'lite routine yesterday that talks about this kind of thing- you have to get the audience to expect something this crazy and impossible, or their suspension of disbelief will not kick in yet. Build the audience up so that they are starting to expect such a powerful illusion. So I wouldn't start with something like this, but work up to it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I'm not a beginner, I have been performing coin magic since the early 90's. I think Dick is correct, I don't explain myself well.

Will-- I agree. Doing it as sort of a gag would work. something funn and strange.Thanks
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Then again, everybody else knew what I meant.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1805 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I lose patience with people who reply to posts with off-topic rants and never address what the OP actually asked about.

The OP expressed himself well enough that you seem to be the only one having a problem understanding him.

He asked about "Mike Gallo's Zag coin". He did not ask for help with terms.
You replied by nitpicking his choice of words. No different than someone nitpicking over spelling or grammar mistakes when it's clear what was meant.
Your response was totally unrelated and unhelpful with respect to the question asked. So much for "magicians helping magicians".

As for "holier than thou" - you just did it again:

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
How many young beginners have YOU MENTORED? --I've lost count of how many I have mentored. MANY of them are now successful, full time professionals.

I don't doubt your credentials or the world of magic knowledge you have - however that doesn't entitle you to run around spouting your pet peeves on other people's posts.
That is the kind of crap that keeps people from asking questions and often drives them away from this site entirely.

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:

No, inigmntoya, I'm not holier than thou. I just lose patience with some people who don't express themselves very well.

The "marquee" expresses it..."Magicians helping magicians" I try to help by explaining basic terms, and broadening the thinking of those sincerely interested.

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3529 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Back on topic, Zqg is a fun quickie of a trick, like cig through coin. It happens fast, the coin is switched out, and its a fun thing. Nothing more or less, a nice and different type of trick.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1609 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The success of the trick is dependent on being able to "prove" that there are no switches involved, similar to Spellbound. In other words, the switches must be very clean. The performance above, in the Elmwood trailer, fits that bill nicely.

I think the performance could be a bit improved in that instead of immediately revealing the coin in its misshapen condition, the magician can act like he is slowly pulling the middle of the coin into that condition. And then, with a jerking motion, push it back.

It's a new plot in coin magic, which is rare. I like it.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
949 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Oslund
You claim magic should be entertaining. When something comes along that is entertaining, ?????
Zag is cute. I watched with amusement. How many magicians do magic? People like you scream that it all must be entertaining. This is cute and entertaining. And you scream it is not magical. Huh?

And the term, "holier than thou" fits.

Consider the snake basket. It is very entertaining. I have owned two and at one time used it to close my stand up act. There is very little magic in it but it is real cute and ENTERTAINING.

While I would not use ZAG, I can see some using it very well. It is really cute.

Oh, by the way, how are your book sales.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
949 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I reread this thread and thought about it.

I think this little trick would work well in a bar. If you work in a bar and customers expect to see magic, Zag would work well. As to handling, I wouldn't start by switching it in to begin with. I would come out with Zag and show it to a customer with some kind of cute line. Then slowly show the effect of the coin. Then use a spellbound type move to switch and slap the coin in front of them. It could sell really well.

I once did a trick in a bar in which I stuck small pieces of paper on my fingernails with saliva. On one hand I used the first finger. On the other hand I used the second finger. I stuck out a single finger on each hand on the edge of the bar, raised my hands, switched finger on each hand, and put my fingers back on the bar. The effect is that the piece of paper jumps from hand to hand. The guy I showed it to went nuts. So it goes.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2845 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Thanks, Al. Nice suggestions. Just might make the investment
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4617 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
It also works nice after Cig. trou coin!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Zag (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL