The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Giobbi (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It wasn’t horribly hard. Any student with a decent library had/has most all the referenced works in this series. Unfortunately, students without these books are exposed to them only through Giobbi Which subjects them to his particular performance and theoretical, philosophical biases. One could do worse of course. But it is something to consider and I highly recommend seeking out the original effects.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Unfortunately, students without these books are exposed to them only through Giobbi Which subjects them to his particular performance and theoretical, philosophical biases.

Agreed. Giobbi seems a tip-top fellow, knows his stuff, but boy is he a snooze-fest.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes magicfish, I agree it is best to go to the original sources. I am an intelligent guy, with a masters and was heading to a ph.D. program. But most of us cannot really adequately get a good foundation by "booksurfing" or "videosurfing" 100 sources. That is called PERPETUAL CONFUSION-- trying to get a good foundation when you are being mind-bombed by 100 sources. So I would like to say that the best time to enjoy all these other resources is when you have a very solid foundation. Giobbi comes out on top in almost all surveys, right? Who is a close SECOND to getting a very solid guaranteed foundation in the wacky world of pasteboards?

So again, what I am suggesting, IMHO, is that get a great foundation without getting utterly confused. Most of us, the majority by far, agree this is through Giobbi. Then you can correct for his tendencies and make card magic all your own, and pick and choose wisely. But trying to do this without a good foundation left me perplexed for far too much of my life. Maybe it was all in the cards,,,,,, but I sure wasn't enjoying them too much. God bless you, sincerely, if you could do that another way. What do you think? I want to know and respect your experience. Whether it is different, we can all learn things from our experience. what you could learn from me, is, unfortunately, get confused and make little progress with cards, or start with Giobbi, which came far too late for me. So Giobbi and CC has been the portal, from which I can enjoy and learn from others while knowing how to pick and choose, which is crucial. Let me know your story.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My story? Not much to it. I have been studying card magic for about 30 years. I have a relatively large reference library (as I believe all magicians should). I was not confused before Card College. Quite the contrary. Dai Vernon, Charlie Miller, Francis Carlisle, Paul Le Paul, Erdnase, Don Alan, Bill Simon, John Hamman, Ed Marlo, Harry Lorayne, Derek Dingle, Paul Harris, Alan Ackerman, Earl Nelson, Daryl, Rufus Steele, Roger Klause, J.G. Thompson, Phil Goldstein, Larry Jennings, Bruce Cervon, John Carney, Cyprian Murray, Eddie Fechter, Mike Skinner, Martin Nash, Richard Kaufman, Stephen Minch, Lewis Ganson, Cy Endfield and so many more who I’m not thinking of right now- excellent teachers all. Some through authorship, some through mentorship.
As I have stated many times in the past, I own, enjoy, and learn from Card College. They are excellent volumes filled with novel thinking on some of our best material . Definitely valuable reading. But with any undertaking of this kind. There are pitfalls.
I don’t want this to be misconstrued as criticism so I will leave it at that.
I’m glad that these Volumes are valuable to you.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks magicfish, and do not take that as criticism of you. I am really sharing my own limited experience. I just was not ENOUGH into cards to get a good foundation. So I was forever floundering, doing just a few miracle tricks. So it was probably my fault in that I did not know how great card effects could be if you get a good foundation and select the effects carefully based on spectator reactions. Giobbi essentially FORCED me to get a good foundation in his Card College or to not use them. So now, I am saying I agree with you it is great to learn from all the masters you can.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, students without these books are exposed to them only through Giobbi Which subjects them to his particular performance and theoretical, philosophical biases.

Agreed. Giobbi seems a tip-top fellow, knows his stuff, but boy is he a snooze-fest.

Wow, it’s almost insulting. Don’t forget cultural differences. Here in Europe, most of American magicians appear as vulgar people, without taste nor manners, with stupid lines and jokes which would make nobody laugh here… Audiences here would applause politely to these entertainers but would never pay for watching their show. Again, cultural differences.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

Wow, it’s almost insulting. Don’t forget cultural differences. Here in Europe, most of American magicians appear as vulgar people, without taste nor manners, with stupid lines and jokes which would make nobody laugh here… Audiences here would applause politely to these entertainers but would never pay for watching their show. Again, cultural differences.

He's no Vanni Bossi.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Ok, you are right on this one !
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
But this helps to illustrate the void in FOUNDATIONS in card magic that Giobbi filled.
He said himself that if you just master volumes one and two, you would have more tools than the great majority of
magicians who do card magic.

jamy ian swiss says as his first recommendation in A RESPONSE TO " Jamy Ian Swiss, what are your top three card magic books?":
/// Giobbi put together a carefully selected foundation of sleights, subtleties and tricks that use them. I am comforted in the knowledge that Vernon’s work, and its importance, is reflected throughout Roberto Giobbi’s Card College series, and drawn from the entire Vernon body of work at that.

Inspired by the approach of the seminal book, The Royal Road to Card Magic, Roberto Giobbi set out to write a complete course in card magic (notably, not an encyclopedia of card magic), and given his intimate knowledge of both the Vernon and the Spanish schools of thinking, he was uniquely qualified to write what has become the definitive instructional text in card magic, translated into six languages, all of which are best-selling editions throughout the world. (Although Volume 5 is also excellent, I have recommended Volumes 1 through 4 here, as these are the fundamental instructional texts, while Volume 5 reflects a collection of Giobbi routines that utilize techniques described throughout the series.)

so it is not his being the most entertaining performer in the world that sets Giobbi apart, it is his unique skill in accessing and culling some of the best material for a strong foundation in card magic.....
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Thanks for the kind words on the review all (except the babble one!) and apologies for not chipping in beforehand. I received the downloads before release to review and therefore got to watch everything. My reviews, of course, aren't for everyone, as many will want to get it all done in a couple of minutes. But you have to do what fits, and yes, I like an in-depth review myself.
For me, this is a great set, but it's only one opinion.

Have fun Smile
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I’m glad Roberto put this out, but I he had finished his original Card College DVDs
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Steve...that idiotic babble comment was totally uncalled for. I was having an awful day and could not focus. Watched it again and found it very Insightful. Sorry for that, and I am the biggest babble out there.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Steve, thanks for your great review. and KSheper, you are awesome. we all have bad days. and unfortunately online, we make commments we can't immediately correct, like we would if we were at a magic club. So I think both you guys are awesome! Thanks for your contributions. My life is much richer for what you contribute.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
While I have watched only the first DVD I agree with the verdict that emerged from Steve's review: Giobbi is not only a classy master and amazing teacher of the standard card techniques, he also puts quite some thought on the why and how. So many moves look weird and have little motivation in the eyes of the spectators but most magicians don't seem to care about that aspect - Giobbi does!

And speaking of 'boring': I actually like his elegant and sophisticated modesty. Don't we have enough sick egos among card magicians already? Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, Nicolino wrote:
While I have watched only the first DVD I agree with the verdict that emerged from Steve's review: Giobbi is not only a classy master and amazing teacher of the standard card techniques, he also puts quite some thought on the why and how. So many moves look weird and have little motivation in the eyes of the spectators but most magicians don't seem to care about that aspect - Giobbi does!

And speaking of 'boring': I actually like his elegant and sophisticated modesty. Don't we have enough sick egos among card magicians already? Smile

Right !!!!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Nicolino,
YOur post was the cherry on the icing on the cake. Yes, that "masterful modesty" of Giobbi's is something to admire. And we should remind each other of that too. Yes, in magic egos get way out of line too often.

Also, yes, for someone to come up with the definitive foundational course in card magic, the HOW AND WHY AND CAREFUL SELECTION OF sleights is essential. So again, we should learn from all, but for me, Giobbi has been the foundation I needed to finally "get on" the royal road to card magic.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I picked it up and really like it so far. After driving a loud 18 wheeler for 20+ years and also having side effects that never went away from Chemotheropy during both rounds of cancer, I suffer from incredibly bad Tinitis (ringing, buzzing, chirping... in ears 24/7). When I sleep, I usually leave the tv or radio on to drown out some of it. Often I just play magic vids on auto play (hoping something sinks in).

Last night I put the downloads on auto play and surprisingly couldn’t sleep well because they were so interesting. Turned it off after a couple hours and put the radio on a jazz station so I could sleep. Can’t wait to give them a proper watch now.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Nicolino, you hit the nail on the head. Detail + why + sophisticated modesty. Giobbi always has a little twinkle in his eye that betrays how much he enjoys magic -- and deflects any feeling we might have that he takes himself too seriously. I haven't had time to watch much of the new Giobbi DVD's, but what I've seen so far has given me great pleasure.

Poof, I'm so sorry to hear about your problems with cancer and tintinitus (sp?). Like you, I listen to music sometimes to fall asleep. I enjoyed your story about having to take off the Giobbi!

Bob
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I totally agree with the last two posts.

This is almost academic, like a college prof. You have to put yourself into the frame of mind and say.. I'm going to class.

And that is exactly what I wanted.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, kShepher wrote:
I totally agree with the last two posts.

This is almost academic, like a college prof. You have to put yourself into the frame of mind and say.. I'm going to class.

And that is exactly what I wanted.

I read somewhere that “That” is the same reason Magic Books can be hard to read. Many, if not most, are written more as a textbook that a novel. It also said that leads to the psychological need to yawn while reading them. (My eyes water a bit too but I get thru them and enjoy them).

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=2

Here is a link to a whole thread on sleeping thru magic videos. I started looking for it when the subject came up earlier in the thread and just found it. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Giobbi (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL