The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fat magicians in tuxedos (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1514 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Why are there so many terribly out of shape children’s entertainers who wear tuxedos? There seem to be many of them in the USA and Canada especially. First of all the tuxedo is EVENING WEAR for FORMAL occasions. Magicians wearing them during the day and especially for children’s events just looks so tacky and cliche, it’s the stereotype of the hack magician who wears outdated black formal wear because that was the style in the mid 1800s. I hate to break it to you but Houdin’s “modern magic” was two hundred years ago!

Secondly the morbid obesity, it sets a terrible example to children. We have an epidemic particularly here in the States and it’s spreading to the rest of the western world. PLEASE, you guys supposedly take your art seriously and think nothing of dropping thousands of dollars on new tricks, backdrops, new toys etc but you won’t invest in yourself and control your eating for a few months to drop a few pounds? Again, it’s the stereotype fat tuxedo magician (probably with a cumberbund straight out of 1974) who does balloon animals and dorky tricks like Fraidy Cat Rabbit and Attaboy and all the stuff from the old catalogues with the nonsensical Asian paintwork on it.

It’s not 1965 anymore.

It’s not even 1985 or 2005.

Take a look at the world we live in and PLEASE, if you can’t quite make it up to 2018 to join the rest of the world, at least make it up to the 1990s or 2000s.

Throw your tuxedo away. Unless you’re getting married, or doing a legitimately high end event (where everyone ELSE is also dressed in one) you just look goofy and ridiculous.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7324 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yuk. A fat shaming post.

There must be a better way to bring up and discuss these topics.

- Donald

P.S. Yes, I wear a suit-style tuxedo and I'm overweight. (And I know there are other performers, too... so I know the post wasn't aimed specifically at me.) I'm happy to discuss the topic with someone who isn't ranting at me / criticizing me.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1743 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Wow, that did sound kind of harsh Smile

But, heres my take on performing attire. I like to wear vests with stars, glitter etc when performing children shows. I have been ridiculed by a few people for doing so. My take on it is that magic is a novelty form of entertainment and I've always held the position that if it fits your style, then do it. It fits MY performing style.

I don't see anything wrong with someone wearing a formal tux. I'm sure the lay audience doesn't think anything of it. Tux's aren't outdated, just MPO. I do not wear one, but I feel it gives a classy look.

For adult gigs or when performing for older kids and teens, I wear all black with a black sport jacket . . . fits my style.

I DO agree that there are some props that are simply getting outdated. As for the over weight thing, I'm staying out of that one Smile

Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3583 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Future real, tell Lance Burton that he is out of style.

You probably won't because he is doing fine in a tux. What you have a problem with is the overweight part.
I'm overweight and I have a problem with it. Most of us overweight folks are struggling with it.
Thank goodness we have you to point out the problem.
Why don't you tell us what we should wear, you know, until we manage to weigh what you do.

By the way, Children's Magicians are not the only ones who are getting fat. Cops, Drs. Mothers, Fathers, Teachers and many others have issues with weight as well.
We still have to make a living and do our jobs.

-Mary Mowder
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24012 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Futureal, you are describing yourself aren't you? But you do not want to show anyone. I understand. You ever thought about taking care of your personal issues instead of trying to blame others? I promise you can take care of personal things your are not satisfied with about yourself if you really try. I notice how you come here a lot to criticize others and not post any pictures or performances of yourself. To be honest with you, when you point a finger at someone else, you are pointing three fingers at yourself. If you need a coach, go ahead and find a good one who can help you with your personal challenges. When you improve your shows with entertainment come back and let us know. We will congratulate you.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2207 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
And yet another self-serving critic who believes it is his duty to tell everyone else what they should look like, what they should perform and how they should dress. Whatever on earth did full-time pros do before we were so enlightened by the critic-gurus?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
719 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
What a sad way to think. Add me to the list of overweight magicians. Do I wear a Tux?, No, but I do dress up with a sequined tie and all my jackets are flashy with sequins. And yes, I've been known to perform fraidy cat rabbit, dang just about all the tricks I perform at Kid's parties are old ones. I've never had a kid point out one of my tricks is an old one that's been performed for years. I'm pretty sure that Magic Café is here so we can help and encourage each other, not to put anyone down.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
710 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Sorry, but that was indeed very harsh... Also the classic effects are still the best!
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1925 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I'm happy to discuss the topic with someone who isn't ranting at me / criticizing me.

I agree with Donald. No need to rant, but I believe Futureal brought up legitimate topics. Here is my take:
Tuxedo- magicians are not real. We are playing a character. We can depict the character any way we see fit, including wearing a tux, but we should be making our costume choice with intent, not default. It should accentuate and represent our brand. We should be open to changing our costume if doing so better meets the needs of our character or business.
Obesity- Futereal brings up a good point, that we should be role models for our young audiences. This is true with how we look, speak, and behave. Being fit is only one component of this and only one way to offer yourself as a role model. While I agree we should strive to be fit, we can also be role models by showing that we don’t let our failures in one aspect of life prohibit us from success in another, while we work to address our weaknesses.
Props- It should be made with purpose and direction that enhances our brand and business needs. We should be cautious that we are not making lazy or uninspired choices. This is no different than ones costume decisions.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2197 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Nothing projects respect and success like a tuxedo.

Nothing makes kids laugh more than Run Rabbit Run and the other classics

Do I need to list the many successful entertainers throughout the years that happened to be overweight?

Have a nice day!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2915 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Futureal,

Stop worrying about what other magicians are doing. If someone asks for your advice give it. If you don't have a weight problem don't kid yourself that it's because of your willpower. I was thin until my late 20s. I didn't suddenly stop caring about my body and I didn't suddenly lose my willpower. My metabolism changed. I've lost a lot of weight three times in my life and each time the weight came back. It's an ongoing struggle that many people never have to deal with. Oprah Winfrey has personal chefs and trainers and knows the whole world is watching her and still she battles weight.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Classic tricks will always have a special place in our art, but I do think we should also be thinking creatively to advance the art, and the props we use. What we create today will one day become classics to others in the future. What we refer to classics today will more than likely be considered antique. The great thing about any art is how it reflects on the time period it was created. Art has to evolve, and sometimes that means putting away the old mediums/props in favor of new ones.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Be thankful for the tux... I would be more worried if it was the 80's hair band spandex, no matter what size the mage is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fat magicians in tuxedos (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL