The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chopped Monkey Fist Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
I recently purchase a pair of Monkey Fists to replace my 40-year-old knit covered chopped set. The new set is tied using paracord and is well made. Maybe too well made. The balls are a little squirrelly and roll way too efficiently. And they are so hard that the talk when dropped into a cup.

I was hoping the the monkey fist would not roll so well and I could work around that, but the talking is a non-starter. Does anyone have a recommendation on a set better suited to performing?

Thank you in advance.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
There is a set that is a monkey fist wrap, but with suede leather vs paracord.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13136
https://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/ ...search for "Monkey Fist Combo Balls (5 ball set)"

They have good weight, good grip, and modest roll
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Thanks scott. I figured out last night the new monkey fists I bought had a wood core instead of a cork core. (I probed it with a pin).
Just Some Guy.

Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
It is fairly easy to learn how to tie Monkey Fist Knots. Use leather shoelaces or buy a spool of leather lace material.
Cores can be marbles for weight, wooden beads, etc.

I've used an old awl to help position the strands around the the cores. Be patient and take your time, and you'll be surprised at the results.

Tips: a spot of white glue helps hold the final stand in place. Carefully cut the end flush at an angle for a nice finished look.
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Thanks Conus.

I just returned multiple sets of MF sets to a dealer.

Actual the problems I have been having with purchased MFs (chopped) is the core. I find what ever is being used as a core: wood, plastice, marble...is talking unacceptibly. I’m thinking a cork core would be better. It appears I willl have to make my own. I am currently sourcing cork, magnets and wrapping material to experiment for the best MF balls.

If you want something right...
Just Some Guy.

Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Michael Kaminskas showed off some beautiful monkey balls at his lecture in Houston this week.

Mkcups.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chopped Monkey Fist Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL