The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best book(s) for constructing small props (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SaltyDog
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of SaltyDog
Hello Everyone. I was hoping to gain some insight on the best book or books (preferably still in print) that cover the construction of the smaller type of props. I have nearly completed a Square Circle and will post photos shortly, but I would like to have a go at, say, a Sucker Die Box, production box etc. I have an understanding of the principles of a lot of these illusion but would prefer some drawings/plans to work from. I am fairly conversant with woodworking. I am hoping some of the more learned members may shed some light and recommendations on the sort of book(s) I'm after. I am aware of the plans available from online vendors but these all seem to be for scale stage illusions.
Hoping you can help.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2915 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
You couldn't do better than the Workshop Forum here at the Magic Café.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
711 Posts

Profile of 61magic
SaltyDog, first off welcome to the Café.
There are many sources for constructing small props, first I would recommend looking for the books by Jack Hughes, they can be expensive but have a lot of props to pick from. The books have been out of print for a while but are still out there, also there is a single volume with selections from the three volume set with many props.
Look at some of the offerings from Abbott's Magic they have books with smaller props for builders.
Paul Osborne ran a series published in magazine form called "Shop to Stage" which were all small props. There was talk he would release the entire set in book form but since his passing I don't know if that will happen. You can still contact his web site and see how many of the small plans they have available.
Another great source is from The Wizard's Journal http://magicnook.com/wizardsTOC.htm Jim is a member here and can supply you with a ton of advice.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
SaltyDog
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of SaltyDog
Many Thanks Gents. My Google-Fu must be weak. I had not come across the Magic Nook website before. I have selected a number of props to order from them. I will keep a look out for the other books you mentioned.
Thanks again
Cheers
ekins
View Profile
Veteran user
Portland, Oregon
382 Posts

Profile of ekins
I was curious about the Jack Hughes books and found that they're available as electronic versions from lybrary.com for all three volumes for $99.

https://www.lybrary.com/jack-hughes-worl......071.html
SaltyDog
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of SaltyDog
Again, Many Thanks. I will check them out. Thanks for the info!
Cheers
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Mel Babcock's book has detailed plans for building a die box.
SaltyDog
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of SaltyDog
Thank you, "the fritz" for the information. I have ordered a number of plans from the Magic Nook and I have found them to be most useful. Jim was very helpful too! I will endeavour to chase down Mel Babcock's book.
Thanks again
Cheers
ekins
View Profile
Veteran user
Portland, Oregon
382 Posts

Profile of ekins
Here's a link for Mel's book. I have a copy and this reminds me to go through it again.

http://home.nwi.net/~magicmel/prodlist.html
SaltyDog
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of SaltyDog
Thank you Sir, for the link. I will have to check the cost of postage to Australia to see if it's feasible.
Cheers
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Science and Mechanics special issue in 1960s
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best book(s) for constructing small props (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL