The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Garrett Thomas rolled my coin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I went to see Garrett Thomas along with Kozmo and John Maxwell. It's called the Magic of Imagination tour. After the show, they were signing autographs and posing for pictures. As I have two sore legs, I sent my son to wait on line. He wanted an autograph, but I had something else in mind. I gave him the coin I practice with and he asked Garrett to do a coin roll with it. He not only did the roll, but did a couple vanishes and productions. I can't tell you what that means to me. I hope just a little of that magic rubs off. The show was incredible! The sleight of hand, amazing!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Keep practicing and someday you'll be able to roll your own. Smile
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the late '40s, motivated by a character in a Walter Gibson (author of 'The Shadow". books) I learned to do a four coin roll. At 86, almost 87, I can't do it anymore, but I did have the fun of showing Walter, when Jay Marshall and I had breakfast with Walter at Magic Inc. in Chicago, back in the "70s.

I taught Johnny Ace Palmer how to do it, in the '80s, at a gathering in Ohio.

When I was a teenager, I "broke in" the business in a carnival side show. I learned the Downs Palm, with both hands. --Doing the Misers Dream, 15 times a day, DID help!

YOU can do the roll, too, if you have the time--and persistence!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
That's wonderful Signet, I'm glad you got a chance to be made so happy by it all. Smile Garrett is an amazing closeup magician, wonderful to watch do his thing. I'm sure it was a great time. Happy he did a little something special for you. Smile

I never spent much time with the flourishes, nothing like Dick speaks of here (that's amazing stuff), Smile but did work on the basic finger roll and could do it pretty well in both hands, and the "4 Coin Roll Down" as novelties, just fun things to do in & around coin magic. And actually, I just perfected that better than I have in the past 45+ years. Just decided to give it the practice it deserved to get it better than I had all these years. Never too late, I suppose Smile

Good thing, "Practice." Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile Nice seeing you at the show....
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I do the roll. It's about the first thing I learned. It's helped me to relax and not worry about things I have no control over, like my father's declining health. I've got it down with both hands. I can also go backwards with the left.
Kozmo, you were incredible. Your routine was very funny and completely entertaining. You know your coins too, as demonstrated. Everyone in the show was great. I'm just a coin nut. I could sit there for two hours or more watching coin moves. I know this would tire most people, but not me. I highly recommend going to see this show, if it plays near you.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well thanks.... I appreciate...I like coins too Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Me too. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Mb, coins like you. did you know some of what you do will go down in history as classic, fundamental advances in coin magic?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, thanks my friend. Smile I don't know about all that but was happy to find a few things out there, and to be able to share them with people on my journey. That's the good part for me, that's the real magic of it all. Smile

Thanks again for the kind words. Smile

evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Signet wrote:
I went to see Garrett Thomas along with Kozmo and John Maxwell. It's called the Magic of Imagination tour. After the show, they were signing autographs and posing for pictures. As I have two sore legs, I sent my son to wait on line. He wanted an autograph, but I had something else in mind. I gave him the coin I practice with and he asked Garrett to do a coin roll with it. He not only did the roll, but did a couple vanishes and productions. I can't tell you what that means to me. I hope just a little of that magic rubs off. The show was incredible! The sleight of hand, amazing!

never wash the coin the again! =)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
Hey, thanks my friend. Smile I don't know about all that but was happy to find a few things out there, and to be able to share them with people on my journey. That's the good part for me, that's the real magic of it all. Smile

Thanks again for the kind words. Smile

Hey Mb! I knew Bobo for almost 50 years. We both specialized in school assemblies, and, we both loved magic with coins!

I've only seen you work on this here "infernal electrisch peckenclacker", BUT, IMO, YOU HAVE "GOT IT"! I really think that you and J.B. would have had some wonderful "sessions"!

I am just a wee a bit "envious" of your smooth, relaxed, way of performing!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, thank you Dick...I would love to have met & got a chance to session a bit with Bobo, that would've been something alright...Nice to get the chance to do that with you as well. Smile And I'm sure so many here would love to have met Bobo as you actually knew him as well. You really are quite an interesting fellow, with a lot of tremendous experiences in magic, and life itself. Smile

And I can see just you now saying something like, "infernal electrisch peckenclacker!" 🤣

Anyway, truly appreciate your kind recognition here, and for a decent-at-best coin guy like myself, it's quite a compliment especially coming from a "SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS, & SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK" like you .. Smile Thank you. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Garrett Thomas rolled my coin (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL