The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Musician and Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Scenario: I'm including a musician in my act. So, the musician is playing the keyboard. Each ivory key is marked with a playing card. A spectator says "stop" and that is how a card is chosen. I'd like to have private discussions on "where to go from here". I've plenty of ideas but would like to hear other's ideas. Thank you
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jonathan...If you know one thousand forces or controls, and one revelation, to the non magician spectator, you know, only one trick.

If you know one force, or one control. and a hundred different "revelations", that spectator thinks that you know one hundred tricks.

Laymen only "see" the EFFECT (i.e. the revelation.)

I'm stepping into my friend, George's "territory" (and, I'm definitely NOT a cardician!) but, I don't think that he'll mind. just this once!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
My initial thought was to "force" a card on the keyboard. For example, when I get to the part when I tell the person "say stop playing"...this can be at a part of the song where it would be easy for the musician to stop on a particular key/card. Or at least narrow it down to about 10 keys/cards. I could produce the card in the deck any number of ways. But, what to do from there???? Any ideas?
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
One doesn't need to be a cardician, to know that "producing" the card is the CLIMAX of the trick.

"...what to do from there????" Get the applause, and go on to the next trick in your act.

I'm outa here!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Thank you for your response Dick. I guess all I can think of is to have multiple cards "forced" on the keyboard, then I'll produce them out of the air like Cardini. That's all I can think of right now. Also, one "key" on the keyboard makes a weird sound, and somehow remove it and find a sign card. I'm still thinking....
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Or the musician can play the keyboard (each key has a playing card symbol) the spectator can say "stop". The musician's fingers will be on a few keys (marked with playing cards) the spectator could name one of those cards. I could "cull" that card in the deck and go from there....
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Mr Salk
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Sounds like a heavy-handed force.

JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
As it turns out, a force isn't possible that we can see. But the good news is that I'm really good at culling. Ever hear of the "roadrunner cull"? Great video. So, the advantage is that I can see the cards on the keyboard and cull them while the person tells the audience the chosen cards. This is starting to get better. Any other ideas....
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
819 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Since the keys will have a card on them, have a couple of spectators check the keyboard out to verify.
Now comes the fun part... they (your spectators) are going to write a song using cards. They shuffle the cards, mix them well. Once mixed, 7-10 cards are taken from the mixed deck and shown to your musician friend. Each key is tapped for a note, when put together, it is a recognizable song.
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Hmmmmm very good idea my friend! You're saying to force those cards I assume...
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
329 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Or a deck switch
Jonathan Meyer
Tuttle, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
819 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Deck switch would be easiest or add cards to the deck after shuffles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Musician and Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL