The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Your favorite "Memory" type effects (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert P.
View Profile
Elite user
Kansas
477 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
I am fascinated by the subject of memory and how we can increase it.

Great magicians such as Harry Lorayne and Sal Piacente are known more for their memory work than their magic (and their magic is superb).

While I am still working to increase my natural memory I love good psuedo memory magic tricks. I will list some of my favorites (with references so you know where you can find them) but I would love for you to list yours as well. This subject has always intrigued me so I'm looking forward to what others have to post.

Some of my favorite routines:

I will post more later but I'd like to see what others think.

Other Café threads:

-Rain man effects
-Pseudo memory tests
-Psuedo-memory demonstrations
-Memory effects
-Mentalism vs Memory Demonstrations: A Dilemma
-John Linden's The Rain Man Glimpse

Some other memory resources:

- Memory Effects - A Resource of Mental Marvels (Great resource of memory effects by Scott Cram, his website is headinside.blogspot.com/)
-Harry Lorayne Memory Books
-Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and S......erything (interesting book on Joshua Foer's compelling journey as a participant in the U.S. Memory Championship)

Please feel free to post other memory resources (books, films, videos, etc.), whether they be for learning or just for entertainment.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1479 Posts

Profile of Cain
Well, I appreciate your passion and effort that went into this post.

I like Bill Malone's "Hands Off Memory Test."
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
terrillific
View Profile
Regular user
Austin
193 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I've been using More Memory Man by Joel Givens for years. I love it. You can do it impromtu.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
815 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Great material - I'm only going to add one of my personal favorites: Pit Hartling's Unforgettable. I also recently have had a lot of fun with Denis Behr's Photographic Memory effect. Very clever.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2377 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
More Memory Man by Joel Givens +1

It's my go-to FASDIU card memory routine. I also do genuine memory demonstrations via a standard peg memory system.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
6371 Posts

Profile of pegasus
More memory man can be accomplished with a marked deck. In the demo the deck isn’t shuffled either. Wouldn’t waste money on that.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
815 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, pegasus wrote:
More memory man can be accomplished with a marked deck. In the demo the deck isn’t shuffled either. Wouldn’t waste money on that.

Except the routine can be done FASDIU - a borrowed, shuffled, even incomplete deck....
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
6371 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Except the chances of having to borrow a deck are so rare that it’s just not worth it.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2377 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I'm not sure if you realize, pegasus, but one is not REQUIRED to borrow a deck to do the routine. You can actually use your own shuffled, incomplete deck. And before you post again--let me clarify. One is not REQUIRED to use an incomplete deck, either. You can actually use a full 52 card deck--AMAZING, isn't it?!?

I'm just messin'. Seriously, though, for close-up, informal, impromptu performances, this is a fantastic routine. As I'm thinking about the times I've performed this, it's almost always been with a borrowed deck. Whether playing poker with friends or at a party demonstrating a memory feat. In those cases it would look odd to pull out my own deck, when another deck was already available or within arms' reach.

As an afterthought, one point that this routine has over a marked deck is that you can name many cards in succession BEFORE you look at their backs. Certainly you can combine this routine with a marked deck, but based on the structure of the routine, is wholly unnecessary.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Your favorite "Memory" type effects (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL