The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mental coin magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have recently started performing a coin effect from Richard Busch's book "peek performance" where a spectator selects an invisible coin and the performer reveals the spectators thought of coin in the real world. Get's some great reactions and being a "coinist" rather than a mentalist I have adjusted the handling to make the routine even slicker from a handling point of view.

Just wondering what other mentalism tricks there are involving coins? Any recommendations? Ideally I want stuff that is impromptu so no PK effects using M******/Ravens/Bats etc etc.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Johnny Thomson has a great old effect where the date of a coin is predicted. About a dozen different coins coins are mixed up in a cup (ungimmicked) and tossed on the table. Coins are eliminated in a very fair matter and the magician does not touch them once the spec. starts the process. It's explained on his Commercial Classics video. I've used it and found it to be very effective.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
Richard Osterlind has a routine on one of his "Mind Mysteries" DVDs. I'll check the name and volume when I get home. The effect is that three spectators reach into his pocket and remove a coin from several that were shown to them earlier. He predicts the type of coin and the date on them.
Meir Yedid has a routine called "Zinger." I don't own it so I'm not sure of the effect. I believe it has to do with predicting a date also.
-Chris
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There's always PK type effects, those feel quite familiar to us coinists. Bent coins, for instance, can be created using pretty much the same techniques as "Spellbound" or "Copper/Silver" effects. And then there's the "Bent Cent", too.

I've always thought that "The Shape of Astonishment" from AOA could be pretty darn creepy with the right presentation. Ditto Roth's "Silly Putty" routine, perhaps edited for "psychic" audiences.

I posted this in response to your inquiry elsewhere, too: if you're looking for coin magic gone mental, you've got to check out Gary Kurtz's material.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Curtis,

Don't you have a mental routine with coins
involving a certain little coin purse? Smile

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Mr Becker has a fantastic psychometry effect using coins in one of the volumes of Desert Brainstorm. Can't remember the title and which volume though. Sorry!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Derren Brown has some nice ideas with mental coin magic, and a coin bending at the spectators fingertips.

The one I've always looked for is the one where you ask the spectator to have a coin in their hand, and put it behind their back, let them choose whichever hand they want, but no matter which hand they put it in, you always guess the correct hand the coin is in.

Never could find where that routine is.
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Where would you find the Derren Brown routine ?
Thanks
Shanester
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Please see this thread to continue this post.

Mya

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&13
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mental coin magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL