The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The best mutilated parasol?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I am looking for a mutilated parasol type trick for stage, and have seen many around! What is the best one to get? Does anyone else perform this in their act?
Thanks.
Sam
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3863 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Most of the Mutilated Parasols out there work the same way, and they end up with an unsightly (to me, anyway) huge umbrella shaft that shouts the method (There's a very good reason that most dealers' catalogs have drawings of this item, and not photographs. Or, when there are photographs, the "mutilated" version is shown from the end and not the side.).

http://magicbypost-m.tripod.com/M10.htm

Once, however, I saw one performed that operated differently, and evidently didn't use the "standard" method. I saw it for sale somewhere several years ago, but I don't remember where.

I'm sure someone here will know where to find it.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
docdazzal
View Profile
Loyal user
San Tan Valley, AZ
243 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Hi Magicsam...

Abbott's Magic has the best version of the Mutilated Parasol. Its method isn't at all like older versions, and the shaft as pointed out by Amosmc, isn't at all out of sorts.

Abbott's is a bit expensive...but well worth the cost both in effect and props. Continued success...

Doc Dazzal
In Truth & Light,
Dr. Dan
Certified Akashic Records Practitioner
Get Your FREE Report
Visit: www.drdanandco.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15400 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have to disagree with amosmc that all are the same. They all work differently. The india model uses a changing tube, the Harries model uses a metal tube the the umbrella screws into. The Italy model is larger then most and cannot do the reverse transportantion.

I agree with Doc, Abbott's is the best on the market, bar none. Edward O. Drane Co. out of Chicago used to sell an import that was as good as Abbott's in method and workmanship. It was cheaper then Abbott's. But this company has been out of busiess for years.

So save your money and get Abbott's. Last I heard it was $350, so it is probably more now.
http://www.abbottmagic.com
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
3851 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I, too, advise using the Abbott's. I was lucky enough to find an old tatttered, beat-up one for $35. I sent it to Greg and he replaced the cover, and sent me a new cover for the "switch". Now it's like a brand-new trick. Used it all last summer and people love it. It's fast and colorful, if not the most puzzling of effects.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My vote is also for Abbott's. Ed Miller (another old timer) also made a good one. It was like the Abbott's style.

The European style is more like a real umbrella but cannot be restored.

Watch e-bay and occassionaly they come up for sale.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
285 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I use the Harris' model and though the first one broke two years ago, my second one has served me well so far.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3606 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Aha...you're all wrong (okay, it's just my opinion)... the very best ever made is/was the Tim Starr mutilated parasol. You can still find them occasionally on used lists. I traded mine of about a year ago, but it's without a doubt, the best. If anybody needs/wants an Abbotts..I have one here, it's just the parasol, no purse or extra cover or loose silks.

Steve Thomas
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tim did make a good parasol but I had two problems with it. I like to be able to restore the parasol. Also it was not big like the old European style. Al DeLage used one like this and it was the size of a full man's umbrella. I think the extra large size compensated for the non restoration.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
TinMan4
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of TinMan4
More great Abbott's comments. Wonderful! Thanks guys!
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
575 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Hi I'm Ron Calhoun, From Kentucky. I have a friend who got the Mutilated Parasol at an action about 6 years ago. He has no clue of the routine because it didn't have instructions.

I saw the post and was hoping someone could help us find some instructions or at lease an outline of the standard routine. Could anyone please help? Thanks

Ron Calhoun
email: Pitchman01@yahoo.com
Number 1 Winner of the Café Search Engine Trivia Contest. https://www.weddingstorytelling.com/[/b]
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
363 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I have the Harries version from Sweden and I have a heck of a time getting the parasol to be restored. If anyone has any tips for how they work that, I would appreciate a PM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The European Style ( I believe Harrie's is like) is much harder to restore. I remember Al Delage used diagonal cut silks on the umbrellas and he would twist the ends around the tip of the umbrella before inserting it back into the tube.

Hope that helps a bit.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
I got my Mutilated Parasol from The Vanishing Rabbit Magic Shop and I'm very happy with it. I'm doing a show with a new Mutilated Parasol but it didn't come with a mat or prop to put the umbrella in for the Switch? I've seen people use a newspaper, which will not work for me, But I was wondering what else I could use. Do you think a cardboard tube would work or do you think I need to show the Tube empty after I pull the Umbrella out?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You can also use a plastic golf club tube.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6049 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Although this topic is a year old, I am compelled to state what a friend told me recently. There are a lot of versions of the mutilated parasol, however only one (Abbotts) can you restore the umbrella. The silks go back into the rolled paper tube.
Dennis Michael
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Go with the Abbotts parasol. I have tried many over the years, and I keep going back to the Abbotts.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ed Miller version also alllowed you to restore the parasol. Al DeLage used the European version Horace Marshall made that was also restorable.

Ed Miller's would be very hard to fine. So Dennis is correct...Abbott's is the way to go.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
smittymagic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of smittymagic
Do you think that it is neccessary to show the tube/Mat empty after you pull the umbrella out or can my assistant take it off stage with out showing it.

Brent

Mine is a European Version, though you can not restore it, its a thing of beauty.

Brent
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I have a large one made by scandinavian magic - Kurt Flemming in Denmark (no longer in bussnes) where the umbrella never seems to leave the spectators sight, no tubes cover the umbrella just the cover, and the silks are placed in a blendobag wich changes into the umbrella roof. Ok so you can't restore it but I don't want that to me it,s an anti climax for the trick.

By the way Tim Star used to work for Harries here in Sweden befor he moved to the US. He is Swedish you know.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Brett,
Just replying to your question about having to show the mat empty. I had the same concern when I first decided to add it to my show. My mentor was Eugene Burger. His comment always stuck in my head...."why run when nobody is chasing you".
When I do it, I just roll it up in newspaper...redirect the attention back to the change bag....I have a ball of fire come out of mine at the transposition (mine routine is in connection with something that occurs with the orchestra on stage) and then I go back to the newspaper and pull out the mutilated parasol. Step forward (away from the heat of the newspaper) and put all the attention on the parasol. I don't bother to restore it either...no need to. I exit the stage, the orchestra plays and my table with rolled up newspaper just comes along with.
The thing that surprised me the most after the first time I did it was.....from one of the orchestra members who sat so close to the whole thing (they're on stage with me).
She commented, "How did you do that thing with the umbrella" And here she was only a few feet from the rolled up newspaper. That's when I realized just how right Eugene was.
Pardon the long explanation but....I think you can see how convicted I am on it. You can see a shot of it on my site http://www.MagicofMusic.com
All the best to you.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
512 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I just got an e-mail back from abbotts magic shop. They told me that they wanted $375 for it.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I just ordered one from Abbotts... I can't wait ..... I'll let you all kniw how nice it is ...
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2362 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I see a lot of talk about the prop, but very little discussion of a presentation for the effect.

Peter Samelson's old-fashioned story presentation for the mutilated parasol is the best I've seen to date. Perhaps you might be able to see him perform this in New York...
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I Think saw him do it about 8 years ago ... I am going to do a pantomime routine with it to music and also I will work on a school show routine that uses 2 kids as helpers......I might get rid of the change bag and come up with a blendo effect.....

How is the Owen version ?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
U.S.A.
15400 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 10:03, cardone wrote:
How is the Owen version ?

I have 3 catalogs from Ownen's and do not remember that they ever offered this effect. If they would, because of the hours of work involved, I am sure it would be priced out of anyone price range, meaning in 4 figures.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Owen's does offer it but I have never seen it.

BTW, you can restore the European model if you learn how to properly twist the silks around the parasol. Al DeLage did it this way all the time. And I have the film to prove it.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
eb02
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of eb02
I am using a version made by Koontz for many years.
You may find it at: http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/stage.htm end of page 1.
Highly recommended and not expansive.

Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I got the Abbotts parasol...wow nice !!! Question... Do you think a newspaper will stain the silk parasol?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6931 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have used a newspaper for years to wrap up the silk. But I do Neil Fosters Center tear with it first.

One tip, let the newspaper be a couple of days old so the ink is fully dry. Also put a small dot or mark on one side of the handbag so you quickly know what side to open.

It is a great prop. We all told you so.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The best mutilated parasol?! (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.232755 seconds, requiring 102 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [6] [2] [0] [1] [1] [5]