The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Twin Die Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
512 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I finally found a twin die box last week and now I am starting to come up with a routine. I have been looking for one for over a year. This is the die box that has two separate boxes that sit on a stand. The standard color scheme is green with some Chinese writing on it. It has a yellow die and you can show the die in either box. One box can be put on the table and the other on the stand and you can show the die in either box or vanish it and make it appear in another location.

Well here is the question. Does anyone have some good routines for this die box or any other die box. I am going to be developing the routine over the next few weeks. I will most likely paint the die box but would like to come up with my routine first. I would be interested in any type of routine, (comedy, just say no, etc.)

Thanks for your help.

Tim Gaines
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hi Tim, I don't often look in the The Magic Café these days, but glad I did and spotted your post. We've had one of these for best part of 20 years. It started off in life being green, with the fancy 'Chinese' blurb on the front (which it still has), and the block started life being a die. Now it is a silver box both inside and out and I've converted the die to become a 'block of gold'. The main thing as you know with this prop. is to have a suitable recepticle to originally have the block in to start with. Some may use a hat, - but I use a small black wooden box that my fingers can easily slide into to take out the block (being careful here not to give away anything!). I then show the box empty and temporarily put the block back into it (for obvious reasons) before removing it a second time and transferring it to the breakaway die-box. You'll have to work out your own style with this one, but I find with kids especially that if you 'turn things around' and appear to be dumb and say: "yes, I know, I'm still tipping it from side to side aren't I?" - and let them try and explain to you that it IS MAGIC as you are tipping it through thin air!!! On a final note I'd advise that when you finally remove the sliding doors on both boxes, - put them straight into a case or somewhere ultra safe, as of course they are crucial to the secret of this routine. Does yours have the black base with the 4 round legs and the built in sliding noise by the way? If so it may have originated from Supreme Magic, Bideford, Devon, around 1980s. It's surprising the number of parents that have said to me: "how on earth does that work?" My reply always being: "clever engineering" !!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
6587 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use the Die Box Routine that is published in the book, The Comedy Magic Textbook, written by David Roper, and published by David Ginn.

It has a funny story about a wooflefeather bird and it's egg.

It is a routine for a regular die box, but might be adaptable for a double die box. Not sure.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
A magic prop with chinese writing on NO WAY,never seen such a thing LOL
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2058 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That's goota be the supreme sucker die box, that's realy gret becuase you can have them apart and still make the,m go to the othwer box
Ive never seen a prper rotine with a die box just slidin it about then making it dissapear I bought one in feb at blackpool and not used it once!

Matt
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
555 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I ran across this 5 year old post and thought I would update it with a little more accuracy. The Twin Di Box is a prop that is made by Abbott Magic in Colon MI. It is still available through Abbotts (It was actually Abbotts product of the week in late Jan 2010).

The prop is at http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Twin-Di-ABBtwindi.htm

A demo is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NsPamAkUo
77 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit the Magic Capital - Abbott Magic / Magic Capitol
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4541 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Here's a little bit for your die box routine: tell the kids that you will make the die travel from the box to the hat VISIBLY......then take the die from the box, and "fly" it across to the hat....of course, you do the neccessary stuff along with this move.
You should also build up the effect by "vanishing" the die (with the kids' help), but when you open the box, it's still there. This happens a few times, before you start to slide the die, and the kids will go NUTS, as they know the die is still in the box. Show the die once after the sliding business - the kids were right, the die is still inside. Repeat the sliding business, but of course, this time the die has vanished, and you search everywhere, before the die is found in the hat (by your kid helper, perhaps?)
There's no reason why the die box shouldn't have a great routine. the effect is quite magical for the under-6s, and many older kids, even adults, are fooled by it too.
It makes a good opening routine, but I think the sucker finish isn't great, so why not act as surprised as the kids when the magic actually works?
Perfect also as a routine with the Birthday child.
Potty Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Twin Die Box (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.221008 seconds, requiring 34 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [2] [4] [3] [2] [2] [1]