The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "V.I.P." Visual Impossible Penetration by Mike Powers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Utilising my idea, you can vanish a coin, or change a coin. I wear a sleeveless T-shirt and a Guayabera shirt over the T-shirt with the r..l attached almost to the back of my pants.
Gerard
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
With my own handling, I have made this effect even better, and turned it into a masterpiece. I did it for a friend today, and it floored him! he looked at the bottle, and cap inside for almost an hour. he could not get it out, and was trying to reach in to pry it out with his finger, but it was not budging. we both bought sodas at the store, and I did it minutes later with his bottle and cap. it is one of those effects that just make you feel unbelieveable after you do it successfully if you know what I mean. I love all magic I do, but some effects are very very gratifying when done correctly. them being able to keep it is priceless.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hi Mike,
Recently, I purchased V.I.P. directly from you. It looks terrific. I have been practicing it with success, but I am a visual person and would love to see a demo video of it. I noticed there isn't one available on your page. Do you have a demo video of V.I.P. or know where on the web I can see one?
Thanks.
Richard
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
I am so intriguiged by this.. I seen above it said it could be done with a water bottle, but what about like soft drink bottles? Like Mellow Yellow, etc. Are there restrictions to these?

Later,
James Watkins
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi Richard,

I definitely need to post a video of VIP. My camera guy is out of town at the moment. When he gets back, I'm going to have him video me doing it in a bar. Hopefully I'll post something before I leave for Europe at the end of the month.

Thanks for the "push!"

To answer Mr. Watkins: VIP needs to be done with a bottle having a metal cap. I have a method for doing the effect using a plastic cap but I prefer the beer bottle. I also have a method for putting a half dollar into a plastic bottle that can be given away (if you don't mind losing fifty cents). It looks very similar to VIP in that the coin is balanced on the side of a bottle held horizontally by a spec.

Mike
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Sounds good to me, Mike. I will be picking up a copy of this sometime or the other. Thanks for answering my questions. Smile

Later,
James Watkins
Zackary
View Profile
Loyal user
Monroe,Louisiana
210 Posts

Profile of Zackary
Is the plastic cap penetration just as visual as a metal cap? I am wondering this because I will be doing this at school and I will only have plastic caps around me?
Zack
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Zack,
I returned your PM message...........get this trick because it rocks! Also, for anyone else reading this string...go check out the video clip performance of Mike Powers "Boston Massacare". Got mine in the mail along with VIP a few days ago and it too is a miracle to behold.

-Brian
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Can this effect be performed with a borrowed bottle? By that, I mean could someone just pass you up a bottle from which they just got done drinking the contents and you can immediately perform the effect? Or, on the same note, could a participant choose "one of three bottles on a table", carefully examine his selection and THEN hand it to you for you to perform the effect?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Mike,
You cannot perform this with a borrowed bottle because the effect requires about a 2 minute set-up. If you don't tell the audience what you're attempting to do and just do it (not only will you floor them because they don't know what to expect) they will be less likely to challenge you with a truly borrowed bottle. But you shouldn't have to worry about that because no one should chase you with this. I posed the effect as a bar gag/sobriety test when asking a spec to see how well they could balance a beer cap on a rounded surface after having a few beers...all eyes are on the spec and then I lightly tap the cap and shazam it's in the bottle.
You can you have a spec choose one of 3 bottles but you would need to use equivoque to force one bottle...as for carefully examining his selection then performing the effect.....if only it could be, but it sounds like we're moving towards the "Too Perfect Theory" here. Trust me the effect rocks and will knock their socks off. If the effect had the properties to meet the questions you were asking....it would sell for far more than $15.00 (not to mention I'd like to shake the hand of the man that works those conditions out) and it's a heavy hitter for the price!!! You won't regret owning it.

Best,
Brian
Brian-
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Mike,
Just remembered this....you can also do this with the bottle 3/4 empty! Pretty cool when a spec can see you drinking from the bottle and then you perform the effect.

-Brian
Brian-
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks, Brian. I thought I knew how the effect worked butwas hoping that it could use a freely chosen bottle. I was hoping the "load" could have been added via sleight of hand while gesturing, on the off-beat, etc. Nothing wrong with the VIP the way it is; I was just hoping to beable to truly use a freely chosen bottle.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Quote:
On 2004-06-10 11:48, MagicCarisio wrote:
Tensaimagician,
Yes! you can do it with a water bottle!!
Gerard

This is NOT true...I recently received this...Although I am very happpy with it, it is not possible to do it with a water bottle.
~joeKing
boonyung
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of boonyung
Mike how much does shipping costs to send your VIP to australia thanks...

I emailed you but never got a reply..
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi boonyung,

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Europe. I'm just catching up on the forum right now. Orders that were made while I was gone are being shipped today. Sorry for the delay!

Mike
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 01:18, joeKing wrote:

Although I am very happpy with it, it is not possible to do it with a water bottle.

To quote MP, "I have a method for doing the effect using a plastic cap but I prefer the beer bottle."
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Magic Review 106: Visual Impossible Penetration (VIP) - Mike Powers

AD:

V.I.P. stands for Visual-Impossible-Penetration. This is THE handling for the cap in the bottle. Other methods require that you use a specific type of beer bottle. With V.I.P. virtually any type of bottle can be used and the spectator holds the bottle as you drive though the side of the bottle (see picture). Also, with V.I.P. you not only get that "special something", you also get the V.I.P. took kit, which allows you to set up a bottle in about 2 minutes.

You can give the bottle away when you're done because you can set up another in 2 minutes!

REVIEW:

“Set up a bottle in about 2 minutes” MY A##. The setup is in fact a long and draining process (if you want to leave the bottle to the spectator, and let her closely examine it), but the “prop” provided is simple and functional.

The production value of Mr. Power’s booklets is one of the worst I know (folded A4 pages, often stapled in the wrong order) but the trick is very workable and has a strong impact in staged close-up situations. Of course the trick can’t be done “impromptu” at a friend’s home, since you have to use your own prepared bottle (non examinable before the effect).

Concerning the moves, the author mentions an alternative method using a well-known gimmick you may already own, which works much better than the technique originally described, and leaves you completely clean at the end.

OVERALL RATING: good

H.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Still no Video
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2005-01-31 16:22, pegasus wrote:
Still no Video

I just bought one despite no video. It seems like another great Mike Powers' effects. I can't wait to receive mine.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
I did this effect for the first time at a party I was at and I have to say that it killed! After I did it everybody was playing around with the bottle and cap for 20 minutes trying to figure out how it was done. I really enjoy doing VIP in this type of atmosphere because it seems so impromptu and visual. The setup was very easy and it only took me a couple of minutes, if that. There is also a way to improve the penetration if you have a certain something that I feel really improves the effect. This is definitely the best cap in bottle effect and it is only $15, which you can't beat. Highly recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "V.I.P." Visual Impossible Penetration by Mike Powers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL