The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2004 entrée: Billy McComb » » As we near the end... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Hello Mr. McMcomb. You have plenty of fans, but may not have gotten as many posts as other magicians have from some of us. Though I may not have any of your tricks, I've always loved hearing about them. You wouldn't believe how many times I've watched the video clip of your Slow Motion Vanishing Bird Cage. You are amazing. When they say you are living legend, they may just be correct. Once I began learning about you and your life, I was amazed by the stories I've heard. They filled me with a wonderful feeling of joy and hope. YOU are the one that created the spark that started the fire. Look at me now...twelve-years of age, living in another ordinary place, but performing at children's parties professionally. So Mr. McComb, I would like to thank you for being here at the Magic Café for all of us. You're famous, you could have been doing plenty of other things, yet you've taken your time to help us all here. Mr. McComb, it has been a great honor to finally get a chance to speak with you. I thank you for your kindness in helping our members become stronger people, including myself. Keep up the great work! Now, I would like to thank Mr. Brooks our Café manager. Without him, none of this would be possible! I don't think he only does this just for fun, but for our benefit. I can tell you one thing for sure, these monthly visits do really help a lot. Everybody, pitchin and show your gratitude toward both of these hard-working men.

Peace and Love,
Daniel Santos
Billy McComb
View Profile
V.I.P.
1922 - 2006
57 Posts

Profile of Billy McComb
Daniel...Yep it looks like the last post.
Bridgeport was where Barnum lived. I had many books about him. One, the "The Fabulous Showman" by Irwin Shaw (?) had an actual letter from him in his own handwriting inside the cover where I put it for safety. Jay Marshall gave it to me years ago.
To my horror the book was stolen, plus the letter, from my library in London . Only found out that that, along with two of Goldston's Locked Books, were gone when I went over to sell the house.
Since it's the last post and President Reagan died yesterday let me share a story with you.
Way back in 1951 I did a move called "The Hasty Heart" I was a hospital orderely who did card tricks and there were two wounded soldiers in bed in the hospital...one was a Scots actor, whose name I've forgotten and then some years ago I found out that the other, an American soldier in the movie was.....Ronald Reagan
My bits, doing tricks for them both etc., ,ended up on the cutting-room floor. The movie was too long and they had to chop it. Pity. It was seemingly the only movie he made in England.I think it was either Pinewood or Shepperton Studios.Might even have been Elstree where I eventually moved to. One time there I went to see someone about a movie and found myself sitting alone after lunch in the Commissary along with another guy. We started talking and he was telling me he started as an acrobat. We chatted about circuses and show-biz. After he left and I was having another cup of coffee the waitress tiold me it was.... Burt Lancaster.
Small world !
Maybe there's an advantage to being a slow eater. One othertime , very similar, was when I was having lunch with my guest Robert Harbin; he left early, and I found myself sitting all alone beside a balding grey haired man at the next table. He invited me to join him for coffee. It was only then that I realised he was Clement Atlee an ex-Prime Minister of Britain ! I was able to ask him questions I'd always wondered about our PM's. How much did the Editorials in the daily British newspapers affect policies etc.,
I've no idea how I can get thru' to thank Steve for the fun week where I can spout off on everything...so I'll do it here and hope he sees it.
THANKS FOLKS!!!!!
I enjoyed it !
Billy
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Wow, you are very lucky! Some people think that's the best they can get in their life, but when thinking of you, the fun isn't over!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-06-06 22:32, Daniel Santos wrote:
You wouldn't believe how many times I've watched the video clip of your Slow Motion Vanishing Bird Cage. You are amazing.

I thank you for your kindness in helping our members become stronger people, including myself.

I agree , Daniel. This has been a great week to be able to "listen in " on Billy McComb speaking to various topics.
I think we are all truly blessed that he consented to take the time to honor us with his presence here .
Thank you, Mr. McComb.

I've also downloaded the clip of The Slow Motion Vanishing Birdcage and watched it at least a dozen times.
What a great lesson in timing . And the vanish is quite a beautiful piece of magic. That sort of thing is one of the most satisfying types of magic to see : comedy combined with truly mystifying magic (Mac King also has this quality in his shows) .

Again, thank you to Mr. McComb for being here this week and for his many written works over the years that have enriched the art of magic .
tgcramer38
View Profile
New user
Longview, WA
35 Posts

Profile of tgcramer38
Thank you Mr. McComb. It has been great reading all of your stories and comments. You are truely insirational! Take care,
Tom
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Billy,
thanks again for sharing so much of both your time and knowlege with us all. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2004 entrée: Billy McComb » » As we near the end... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL