We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » The fundamental problem Magicians have with David Blaine (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I don't think David is a rip off. The effects he performs didn't really become "over the counter" effects until after his specials. He is a good marketer and he is a good magician. What I think urks a lot of magicians is the fact that he did not go the traditional route. He didn't build a name for himself in the magic community before getting on TV. Most other magicians, if not all, were known in the magic community before landing spots on the Tonight Show, let alone have their own special.

I also think that David is a wake up call to all of us. In my view, we've gotten way too snobby. Many a magician miss the point that laymen are our targeted audience. All the super technical sleights and effects that fry magicians oft times hold no weight with laymen. Laymen don't care how "invisible" your pass is or how many half dollars you can palm. David's routines scream to other magicians, "Hey, all that ultra-technical stuff is cool, but look, I'm getting great reactions from just a double lift. WAKE UP!!!"

Personally, I think magic dealers are more at fault than David Blaine is. Most of them have packaged the effects that he performed so they can make a buck. There are DVD's being sold that only teach the Balducci Levitation and David Blaine did not come out with it. So, the Blaine wannabe's are actually borne in magic shops. Last time I checked, David doesn't sell any of the effects he performs. He's created a buzz and we should take advantage of it.
Richard Allen
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Richard Allen
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 19:21, Midnight333 wrote:
I dislike David Blane for one simple fact> That he beat me to the punch. I wish I had thought to go to a magic store buy 200 dollars worth of easy to do magic and then market the hell out of it. He's not an artist, he's a business man. That's fine. don't give him all this credit for being a magician, he's not. He's some guy that found a niche then sold the f*** out of himself. By the way after all the levitations exposes that followed his premier, the balducci has become worthless. Oh by the way the other bad thing is that all you young kids should be inspired by the aformentions artists, not Blane. And to the gentleman ripping on those so called "pretty boy" magicians. Don't hate. Just because they get to be in close proximity to ultra hot girls and you are not doesn't mean one day that you cant. Don't hate the magic player, hate the magic game.

Do your research... Blaine was doing magic for years and years before he did his TV special. Also, as fanwun said, his effects didn't become over the counter until after his special... hence the success of sites like Ellusionist.

Blaine made an important realization... the effect is what counts. Also, Blaine didn't overexaggerate himself and spit out a bunch of pointless one-liners and rapid-fire patter... no filler... just magic.

Watch "Magic in the Streets" if it ever comes on TV... several famous magicians, including Michael Ammar and Johnny Ace Palmer, perform for people in the streets. Notice that you never hear about any of these magicians from laypeople... and why no one ever mentions this special when you do a trick... and ask yourself why.

The answer is simple. I won't give it to you, but it is very simple, and perhaps that is why the true secret to magic is often overlooked.
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I personally don't like his performance. I don't know him personally so I can't say weather I like HIM or not.

I can comment on the tricks he does, but here's the deal.

How many of your friends say "Hey can you do that trick that Waveman does?"

He's pretty popular, easier to watch than the news, and I would say has more sucess than me, so he's gotta be doin somthin right.
cardician17821
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cardician17821
Blaine is ok, entertaining and astounding to the laymen, he did his homework and has earned his success. All the more power to him. My problem is his stunts, who cares if you lay in a box for x days or stand in a hollowed out block of ice, what does that have to do with magic? I respect the guy for his accomplishments but lets see some new cutting edge stuff!
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18498 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
TV pays the rent. Do a stunt. Name recognition.

Do you think Blaine does $75 birthday parties?

What do you think the top line party workers are getting for an hour or so of close up these days?

Thanks to Blaine, upwards of $500 to $1000 plus tip.

What Blaine put on tv was not magic tricks, it was AUDENCE REACTIONS.

What performer wouldn't give his right arm for the reactions he got in the Dallas Cowboy's locker room?

He not only knows his magic, his audience and market, but has one of the most knowledgable behind the scenes guy in magic.

Give him credit, give him thanks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Devoted
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
16 Posts

Profile of Devoted
Wow relax guys. I only preform ala cart. I will preform anywhere anytime to anyone. I do restaurant, conventions anything. And David has given us (magicians) some crediability. Carry a bite coin, do a leviatation, who cares.

Then do something you are good at. Carry forward. The man put a lot of effort into this, I know I am trying to get a show right now, and he is a great actor. Many magicians will admit they are actors (houdini tried his hand at it even).

Weather you think his magic is better or worst than the greats isn't really the point. The greats are a wonderful resource, if everone knew their names you wouldn't have jobs. This is the information age. You can tell how everyone famous does their magic with a simple click click. We pay hommage to them and I think they would take more respect from us then from some trash who thinks "it all camera tricks"

If you allow someone else to get under your skin then they have won, you have failed and in the end you are left with hatred that is completely destroying who YOU are.

Learn from his successes and discard your petty differances. Roll with it and you will be happier and better off.
Looked up, there it was, gone
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Hey Pete, they should put "He knows it all" under Inner Circle. I mean that as a compliment and I hope you take it that way.

As for David, I think he is trying to invent a new aspect of magic. I don't really care for his stunts either, but he does them for a reason. Just think, there was no such thing as Escapology before Houdini. I can imagine a young mage, 50 or so years from now, saying, "David Blaine did this stunt..." When you look at it, most escape artists model their acts after things Houdini did. I could be wrong with my theory, but it's just a thought.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2573 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 00:13, dynamiteassasin wrote:
Someone told me this -
"..I HATE DAVID BLAINE BECAUSE HE IS GAY!.."

IS THIS TRUE???

Is it important?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
Quote:
On 2004-07-07 21:14, Pete Biro wrote:
TV pays the rent. Do a stunt. Name recognition.

Do you think Blaine does $75 birthday parties?

What do you think the top line party workers are getting for an hour or so of close up these days?

Thanks to Blaine, upwards of $500 to $1000 plus tip.

What Blaine put on tv was not magic tricks, it was AUDENCE REACTIONS.

What performer wouldn't give his right arm for the reactions he got in the Dallas Cowboy's locker room?

He not only knows his magic, his audience and market, but has one of the most knowledgable behind the scenes guy in magic.

Give him credit, give him thanks.

True, weather we like him or not he is a household name.

I would even say he has gotten people interested in magic again, not to the point that Doug Henning did, but still I know a lot of people that loved his tv appearances.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When Kreskin was the biggest name in American mystery, all the disgruntled wannabes slammed Kreskin.

When Doug Henning was the biggie, they slammed Henning.

When Copperfield was tops, they slammed Copperfield.

When Lance Burton came to the fore, they slammed Burton.

When David Blaine appeared in the spotlight, they slammed Blaine.

Who will the "barrel full of crabs" try to pull down for being successful tomorrow...hmmmmm...?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
739 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
There is a four letter word that says it all. I only hope I can get away with it before those da***ble censors read this.

It is.................

ENVY.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Crashfreze, you are right in everything you write.
David has the charisma that other magicians don`t have. Moreover, the way he presents his tricks is direct as can be, no fooling around or being the nice magician. That is what makes him a mystery to many people.
MISTER E
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MISTER E
The fundamental problem magicians have with Blaine is not with Blaine, but with themselves. Richard Lucas nailed it an above post... it's envy. Plain and simple.

If one cannot find the positive in individuals who are essentially pushing our artform forward and allowing magic to evolve (and that's NOT evolve to you and me, that's evolve to the spectators), then the only thing they have to contribute is negativity: criticisms, slander, or contempt; which by the way are all fear-based. Call it "insecurity." Call it "immaturity." Call it "unworthiness." Sure, call it "your humble opinion," but when you boil it all down, if you hate someone, it's either because you're scared of what they can do, or you're scared of what you can't.

Admittedly, I, too, was envious of Blaine. Upon further contemplation, I learned to see the positive in what he has done. Here's the bottom line... the man set goals and achieved them. If you can't admire that, perhaps you're not setting your own goals high enough.

So to all the "haters" out there, learn to appreciate. Otherwise, no one will ever appreciate you.

-E
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Blaine has a weird way in presenting his magic...
BUT he does it well. I envy the reactions he gets when he performs a trick. They scream.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I just feel that it's a shame the amount of lay people
who will never get to see really brilliant live magicians [who need no editing] You know the one's..
Tommy Wonder,Swiss,Jay, etc.. Busy working but no
T.V. specials...The glass box thing was just silly!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1860 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
What magicians want to see are not the same things that laymen want to see - when will magicians realize that?

Laymen don't care how great your pass is, they don't care that you have a new method to float, they don't care about anything we care about!

In fact, most laypeople actualy don't even like magicians at all! They would easily perfer to goto a good baseball game over a David Copperfield show any day.

The bottom line is simple: do people like you? I'm not asking if they like your magic, I mean - do they like you? That's the bottom line: people like David Blaine - period. It has nothing to do with his magic.
The Crowd Goes Wild - my free lecture series - Magic Joint - where professional talent meets the local artist!!!
One of the hottest new releases of this year - Amazing JoeJoe's Super Spinner with Penny Reel Technology!!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2573 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-07 13:02, Richard Allen wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 19:21, Midnight333 wrote:
I dislike David Blane for one simple fact> That he beat me to the punch. I wish I had thought to go to a magic store buy 200 dollars worth of easy to do magic and then market the hell out of it. He's not an artist, he's a business man. That's fine. don't give him all this credit for being a magician, he's not. He's some guy that found a niche then sold the f*** out of himself. By the way after all the levitations exposes that followed his premier, the balducci has become worthless. Oh by the way the other bad thing is that all you young kids should be inspired by the aformentions artists, not Blane. And to the gentleman ripping on those so called "pretty boy" magicians. Don't hate. Just because they get to be in close proximity to ultra hot girls and you are not doesn't mean one day that you cant. Don't hate the magic player, hate the magic game.

Do your research... Blaine was doing magic for years and years before he did his TV special. Also, as fanwun said, his effects didn't become over the counter until after his special... hence the success of sites like Ellusionist.

You mean nobody was using folding coins or Invisable Decks until David started?

THE N.Y.C. street magician was Jeff Sheridan. He reinvented the art-form of street magic and could blow David out of the water. Pity he didn't have the marketing skills (or desires) to try to get a special.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
MischiefMagicX
View Profile
New user
Albany, NY
48 Posts

Profile of MischiefMagicX
For the most part, I like Blaine. Out of all the household magicians (Copperfielf, S&R, Penn and Teller, etc) he is my favorite because he doesn't need a stage to floor people (no pun intended.) Now I'm sure these people can do close up just as well and probably better then Blaine, but that's not how they do it. Blaine had brought raw in-your-face magic back to the spotlight and I find it easier to get peoples attention with magic now.

The only things I don't like about him are his stunts (b/c they are not really astonishing as much as they are admirable) and the fact that every once in a while when I perform a card effect people say hey you're like david blaine....other than that, it's cool.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary..."
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Just a quick introduction. I am very new to the magic scene and this is my first post. It's a hobby of mine and I picked up magic because my focus is on gospel magic.

Ok, about Blaine, I don't like his TV stunts that are related to "endurance"- stuff like encasing himself in ice etc. as I think this is dangerous and does not really have anything to do with magic and illusion. But I like his street magic specials because they are entertaining sand he makes it seem so natural.

Whatver one may feel about Blaine as a person, he is the in thing to many and we need to accept this and get on with life. (Well, from my part of the world - Malaysia, anyway). Here TV rules, so if you ask the man on the street to name a famous magician, it will normally either be David Copperfield (if you are older) or David Blaine. So the best thing I can think of is to make use of his reputation for my own "gain."

As a beginner with limited resources and professionally made props / tools, and a limited time to practice, Blaine's reputation has helped me personally as I use lines like "well, I am not David Blaine, I'll try but it may not work ..." (and so when it works, it's a bigger boost! Smile
If it should fail - but lest you jump to conclusions - the secret is not revealed Smilelike my floating dollar bill suddenly crashes, I merely have to sigh and say something like, "well, I am not David Blaine" and I get sympathy rather than brickbats. And I can quickly move on to something else.

* For the record, I do know the basic rule of never doing a trick without first practicing and then more practicing etc.

My personal approach is the "not so competent and confident magician" who unexpectedly delivers.

Again, because Blaine is so polished on TV and I do not claim to be as good as Blaine, it helps, it is actually a positive thing. (I presume all the best audience reactions made the final editors cut)
For example when someone asks about the ash and name trick, (By the way, I doubt Blaine could pull this off on the streets where I live) I can simply shake my head and explain that is too hard for me - that I am not up to Blaine's level ... BUT, I then would suggest a less difficult ash trick - using a pack of cards. The reaction to their chosen card showing up with the ash on the arm gets just as big a reaction!

Just my 2 cents (which is worth much elss than USD 2 cents)
Many Blessings!!

Paul
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Uuuhhh...actually, the "ash and name trick" is a lot easier than you may think.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » The fundamental problem Magicians have with David Blaine (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL