The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mis-made flag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Any recommendations on manufaturers of the this classic trick? I am looking for a large version with at least 2 or perhaps 3 different "mis-made" flags before producing the "correct made" flag. Also, does every one use a change bag or do you like a dye tube? or other?

thanks
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
P&A Silks has this in a variety of sizes, the largest being 3x5 foot flags. Very nice silks and also pretty expensive. This is a two flag set-up, but they make additional mismade flags which can be purchased and added to the routine. I think your idea to go with a large version is a good one. Duane Laflin carries a large version (2x3 foot flags) with three flags in total (two mismade)for a very good price. You can also check silkingstudios for there versions, but these are two flag sets and the stage size, which is the largest, is 16 inches by 24 inches.
Hope this helps.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks Paul G. I will take a look.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Flags of what country? Would you perform an effect with a mismade American flag? and if so, why?

Just curious.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello fccfp:

Paul G. is right on with his advice! I recently went on the hunt for a large mismade flag set, and decided on the the Laflin version (actually, I think it's made by Gosh, but Laflin is the only place I've seen selling it).

The price is excellent - much cheaper than any other place I've seen (P&A and Silk King Studios). The quality is excellent as well, with the silk being a bit thinner - probably 6 momme. I think this is good because all the silks don't make as big of bulge in a change bag, or will fit better in your dye tube.

Ron
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bradly - Perhaps you are not familiar with this classic routine. In short: Magi displays 3 silks, Red, white & Blue. Magi puts said silks in "magic bag" accidently dropping Blue silk on the floor. He then pulls out a flag w/ red & white strips and a blank field in the upper corner. Realizing his mistake he puts "mis made" flag back in the bag w/ the blue silk and, amazingly, pulls out a proper American flag. The patter potentials are what make this such a great effect. all the classic plot lines including "magician in trouble" can be brought into play. You can also add additional "mis-made flags" such as Blue stripe and red field, or blue and White w/out red.

Ron-
I went through dozens of dealers on hundreds of web-sites and was about to plunk down approx $200 for a set from P&A. The Rice set had only 1 mismade flag. the Laflin set has two and is substatntilly less expensive. I have been told by several folks that the quality of the Laflin product is excelent as well. I may still blow a little bread ( if I ever have any to spare Smile ) on additional "mis-made" flags from P&A as they have a few different ones from the 2 supplie w/ the Laflin set.

I would be curious to know whether any one has done mre than two transformations with this trick for a live audiance. I think one is a OK, two is better, but would three be too much?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
digimaestro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of digimaestro
The version called "Mismade flag with a twist" is very good for the price. It has the flag without blue, and then with the stars and stripes reversed, and then finally correct.

Is this what you mean by three transformations?

It works very well for me.

The only complaint for me is that the "real" USA flag has a row of stars cut off.... not really noticible, and nice enough anyway.

digimaestro

Posted: Jun 16, 2004 6:29pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O I C...

I should have read the above post more carefully.

Indeed... there are only two "mismade" versions in this set. (I believe mine is the same as the Laflin set.)

Cheers,
digimaestro
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe most of Laflin's silks are 5 mm certainly no more than 6mm. This is necessary if you are packing things in tightly but they tend to wear out much more quickly than even a 6 momme will.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The China set is 5 momme. It takes less space but will not have the life of the 8 momme silk. It is also about 1/3 the price. Use it twenty years and get another. Remember that silk wears like steel!

I have both, use both, and like both. My P&As are, of course, my best. The P&As are smaller than the China flags. A Jumbo P&A is 30" but the China set is 36". On stage that is a noticable difference. I also like to use 24" solid silks rather than 18" squares for several reasons. For one I am a dove magician and 24" silks work best for the length of a human arm. (The diagonal center should be at your elbow.) For anyone, the advantage of the 24" silks is that they are closer to the size of the 24 x 36 flags. Another reason is that it makes the simple trick appear that much harder.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob you are right on the silk sizes. In general every silk looks one size smaller than it really is. A 12" looks like a 9", a 15" like a 12" and so on.

All my silk is China Silk...5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, or 12mm. I usually make everything up in 6 or 8 momme but I can get the other weights for special needs.

I believe Rice and P&A were/are using a Japanese silk. There are so many types and weaves of silk that it is hard to say just silk.

But the silk does wear like iron. To be honest, I have some silks that I bought at a closeout store 22+ years ago. I always said that I will replace them when they wear out. They are still going.

I am just rebuilding Dale Salwak Silk fountain with 6mm silks after 10 years. So make the investment once and make it right.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
The China set is 5 momme. It takes less space but will not have the life of the 8 momme silk. It is also about 1/3 the price. Use it twenty years and get another. Remember that silk wears like steel!

I have both, use both, and like both. My P&As are, of course, my best. The P&As are smaller than the China flags. A Jumbo P&A is 30" but the China set is 36". On stage that is a noticable difference. I also like to use 24" solid silks rather than 18" squares for several reasons. For one I am a dove magician and 24" silks work best for the length of a human arm. (The diagonal center should be at your elbow.) For anyone, the advantage of the 24" silks is that they are closer to the size of the 24 x 36 flags. Another reason is that it makes the simple trick appear that much harder.

Enjoy!
Bob
Magic By Sander

Great comments Bob. Thanks. If I understand what you are saying: Go with the less expensive set, use it till it starts to ware out. Then replace it.

I was planning on using a "patriotic patter line". As a "Dove Guy" I am guessing that you do a lot to music w/ no patter. Do you do the Mis-made flag silently as well?

Just curious.

Thanks for you help now and in the past.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You know I can't find it but there was a great poem or reading about the flag.. Something like the red was from the many men who died to form this county, White from the pure ideas of the men, and blue from the seas they cross to the wide open skies of a new world.

Can anyone pass anymore information on this as it would be a really good patter line for flag effects.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

MisMade flag is such a good routine that I have done it both ways and with variations on that. The music that gets the best laugh is "Oops There Goes Another Rubber Tree Plant" (High Hopes). It follows a "Just can't get it right" story line but you win in the end. I don't do it during patriotic music because I don't like to mix failures with creating the flag with being patriotic until there is success. Old cowboys are just funny that way. (You know that we believe that city folks think the last words of the Stars Spangle Banner are "Play Ball!")

Of course, I was not doing magic in 1959 when we went to the 50-star flag. (Richard won't believe that, yet he is one of the old timers that we'll look forward to seeing at the Invisible Lodge in August. I'm nearly too young to go!) But about twenty years ago, someone gave me a small set of MisMade Flag that had a 48-Star flag. It has been a great routine a for long time.

Normally I do patter when I do it and without music. In the two-hour stage show, Lucy and I use a live drummer even with recorded music. So it still gets a musical ending even with patter. I don't know what we would do without Nico. He is drummer with ESP! (He is also a very fine European trained craftsman woodworker.)

Yes! You do read me correctly. For shows, get the largest one, use it up and get another. It'll still take you twenty years a set! The P&A stuff is very nice and among magicians it's great to bring out the good stuff. (I like to watch them drool too!) On the road, everything is expendable. Also on the road things disappear from the magician. (Each flag of the China set can be replaced separately.) Lucy and I had a flying carpet that must still be flying somewhere. (Does yours have an RLS on the bottom? LOL)

Richard is right. There is a very good poem to use. A Senator from Oklahoma used to use it in the 70s. You would be surprised what a good librarian with a computer can find. Give it a shot.

I've found that MisMade Flag plays as well to adults as it does to children. The final load always produces a respectful applause. Outdoor shows (fairs, picnics, Labor Day events, etc.) have always been the hardest for me to control. MisMade Flag really helps get the crowd's attention and they listen. Be very careful how you handle the completed flag. The audience is watching!

Once you put it in your show, I doubt you will leave it out often.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob,
I got my Mak flying carpet in 1977. I had to replace the top and bottom pieces. They were made of pressboard and started to chip away every time they got bumped aganst something hard, like a doorway.

I will go out back to the woodpile and check for the "RLS" and let you know. Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

Thanks for looking for the "RLS" but I think ours was made from one of George Washington's first trees.

Did you find the poem for MisMade Flag?

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob,
No I haven't had a chance. It is not the direction I am leaning towards.

I think I have a good patter line. Where I am having difficulty is w/ the mechanics.

The Bag is 10.5" deep x 8.5" wide. When I start out the "mismade" & Final Flag are folded where they are supposed to be. When I start putting things into the bag in performance the bag starts to bulge. It almost looks like I have 3 large silks and 2 flags stuffed in there at the end. :;): Is the bag I am using too small for the 36” silks?

As far as handling, I will be using a patter line about how in America we all come together to make this a great nation. I will be working @ 4th of July party's the first time it's out in public. You are absolutely correct about treating the Flag with respect! In the current world we live in there are too many times that the flag is seen being desecrated in one way or another. When you pull out the final flag, don't just wad it up and toss it in your ditch case. Hand it off carefully to an assistant to take off stage and fold. If you do not have an assistant, take a moment and fold it and let the audience see you place it down carefully. As long is you are not putting it on the floor you should be fine. Another reason for taking special care is that you don't want to have to replace the flags prematurely because they have become stained or torn thru carelessness. Smile

Any suggestions on how the silks should be loaded at the beginning and how to put the silks/flags back in so there is no bulge would be appreciated. Smile

Regards,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
digimaestro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of digimaestro
Great idea on folding the flag!

I forgot about this.

I will have my assistant fold it....

digimaestro
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fun Inc. makes a very good quality Mis-made flag.

There is a new mis-made flag coming out with the strips where the stars are and the stars were the strips are. This will add one more feature the effect.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the flags in the Mismade Flag made by Fun Inc.?
WisMel
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of WisMel
I do the Flag o matic by Barry Mitchell. It's a lot of fun. I believe he is closing out this prop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mis-made flag (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL