The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Could someone tell me the names of the original creators of the following tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Hi, I know this is a long list, but I would appreciate it very much if some of you could help me with this matter. I came here because I know several individuals here have an excellent knowledge of magic history. All of the effects in question come from 'ellusionist.com'

"How to do street magic video"

1. "Burned" -

Spectator chooses a card, then thinks of the card. They draw a picture of the card on a slip of paper and

fold the paper into quarters. The paper is burned to ashes.

Performer takes the ashes and rubs them on his/her arm...

the image of the card slowly and perfectly appears on the performer's forearm. Performed by David Blaine in the Street Magic Special.

2. Glass Stinger -

Performer says he can make a coin disintegrate. Borrows a coin but says he has to cover the process so the spectator won't see it happen.

He puts a small glass over the coin but people can still see through it. So the performer wraps a paper napkin around the glass. The audience is getting skeptical, wondering if the trick will be any good.

The performer makes an "incantation" and pulls the glass off the coin but it is not gone. After a few more tries the coin is still not gone so... the performer slams the entire glass through the table. The audience hears it hit and go through.... performer pulls the glass out from under the table. The misdirection in this trick is perfect and creates sheer and total shock in an audience.

3. Sick Aces

Performer borrows a shuffled pack of cards and sets them on the table saying that during the entire trick he doesn't want to touch or come near the cards.

He instructs a volunteer to cut the cards into four piles.... the volunteer can cut ANYWHERE. The performer has the volunteer mix the cards at random, putting cards here and there and on the other piles - it makes no difference where. At no time does he even come near the cards. Then the performer asks what the four most wanted cards are in a game of poker. They say aces. The performer asks if he has touched the cards in any way. The answer is absolutely NO. The spectator turns over the top four cards and they are, impossibly, the four aces.

4. Trace Unseen

Performer takes a shuffled pack of cards and "riffles" through asking a spectator to stop ANYWHERE. When the spectator says stop, they remember what card they stopped at.... that card NEVER leaves the pack. The performer says "watch" as he slowly closes the pack on the chosen card (they SEE the card disappear into the pack) and then shuffles the pack. They never take their eyes off the performer's hands.)

The performer instructs the volunteer to think of the card and look at the cards as he turns over all the cards in the pack one by one. They go through the entire pack with the spectator watching to SEE his card but.... he never does. That card is the ONLY card now missing.... even though they have been watching the performer like a hawk.

The performer starts patting his pockets as if the card might be in one of them. He looks around the room. He starts looking at the people. He settles on one guy at the far end of the table, or room. He asks this man to check his jacket pocket. The man does, and pulls out the exact card that JUST VANISHED. Again, a version of this was performed by David Blaine in the Street Magic Special.

5. Merger

Borrow a business card from someone in the room. Fold it in quarters and tear the middle out of it. Show that there is a hole in the middle of the card and the four sides are intact. You thread the card onto a string, rope, shoelace, or whatever. You tell people that you are about to perform the impossible but for their own protection you are going to cover the process with a handkerchief. The ends of the string or rope are held by the audience at all times.

You reach under the handkerchief and in ten seconds remove the business card, intact, from the string. It still has the perfect hole in the middle! Everything may be examined. This is completely impossible. In videos on the ellusionist® site you will see a kid do it - we trained the kid for this trick in ten minutes.

6. Trick Switch

After picking a card and shuffling it into the deck, the performer says he is going to try to find the card but he asks the spectator to keep a strict poker face - not blink - and not give away the card "no matter what".

Performer pulls out three cards and puts them on the table one by one... each time asking the spectator if it IS his card. The third card IS the card - but since the spectator has been instructed NOT to give it away - he cannot say anything. The performer puts it on the table saying he's positive that these three cards are NOT the chosen one. (The spectators begin to get amused - thinking that the performer has blown it).

After playing around to build up the effect, the performer pulls out the chosen card from the DECK. Everyone DIVES for the card on the table - having seen it clearly placed there - but it is a different card!

When people ask you to do a card trick, do this one first. You won't believe how sorry they feel for you - that you are so dumb to blow it so badly. Then you will see them literally FREAK when the card on the table is not the card they thought it was, and they realize there is more to you than they thought. "DO ANOTHER ONE!! PLEASE!!!!"

7. Voodoo Zone ( also known as card warp)

The trick looks like pure magic. A card is folded in half, face in. Another card is folded in half lengthwise, face OUT. The face out card is pushed through the face in card and as it comes out the other side it changes to FACE IN. This all happens visibly and no "trick cards" are used. In fact, borrow a deck and do it - it's better that way.

8. Go Inside Sugar

You take a quarter on your hand. Place a sugar packet with the quarter and slowly close your hand around both. A spectator holds your wrist and another holds your hand and they squeeze. You open your hand and the quarter is gone but the sugar is still there. You rip open the sealed sugar packet and slowly empty it onto the table.... the quarter falls out of the packet, clanging on the table.

Do it in any bar or diner. Great to do for girls if you want them holding your hand.

9. George's Old Trick.

A. You show your hand absolutely empty and flick the fingers one by one. You instantly pull a quarter out of thin air, using just the one hand.

B. You put the coin on the table in front of you - everyone sees it in the middle of the table. You put a hand over it and gently rub in a tiny circle. Pull your hand off and the coin is simply gone. Another great one for a diner or dinner table.

10. Chance Zero.

You tell a spectator to take a shuffled deck and deal the cards one by one. If they think it's a red card they put it in one pile.... if they think it's black they put it in another pile. They deal the whole deck, face down, putting cards anywhere they want to. They can pull cards out and change them, whatever. You turn over the cards and the spectator has divided the cards between red and black perfectly..... this is magic at it's most amazing. You never touch the deck and it can be a borrowed deck. Inconceivable but true.

11. Print!

You pull out a stack of blank business cards and show all of them back and front. You pull out a single blank card and again, show it plainly back and front. Slowly you push it through your hand and as it emerges on the other side it comes out with your printing, name, address etc on it. Give it to the spectator... there is no better way to hand out your card.

12. Melted.

Borrow a solid ring and then borrow a shoelace, or string. You thread the ring on the lace and place it on a lady's outstretched hand. Slowly she closes her hand around the ring and lace and you can see the ring threaded right up to the last second. You take each end of the string and slightly pull it.... the lady can FEEL the string go right through the ring and off. She opens her hand and there it is. Off the lace.

"crash course 1"
you can see the descriptions here ( they are way to big to paste here)
http://www.ellusionist.com/order/CCtricklist.htm

Card in Hand

Here then There

Heat

Fastest Trick on Earth

Out of Sight

Thank you very much for your time. Im not trying to start a bash ellusionist thread, id just like to know.
Easy to do magic card tricks. You'll find a store full of street magic, levitation effects, and magic card tricks for.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Why don't you send your question to Brad?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Card Warp
English Card expert Roy Walton developed this baffling, visual card effect

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 21:30, blindbo wrote:
Why don't you send your question to Brad?

I will do that, I wasn't sure if he would take the time to tell me.

Posted: Jun 14, 2004 9:55pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-06-14 21:39, paulajayne wrote:
Hi

Card Warp

Paula

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response, would you happen to know the published work I could verify this?
Easy to do magic card tricks. You'll find a store full of street magic, levitation effects, and magic card tricks for.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 21:55, rarrarrar wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 21:39, paulajayne wrote:
Hi

Card Warp

Paula

Thanks for your response, would you happen to know the published work I could verify this?

The original manuscript is still available from many dealers. I'd advise you to check that out.

Card Warp itself was based on an effect by Jeff Busby called Into The Fourth Dimension.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
The ashes on the arm effect is hundreds of years old.

It was first published in John White's White's Hocus Pocus in or around 1715. Magicians in White's day used wine, modern magicians use something else, so that they can end "clean."

What you've called "Trick Switch" sounds a lot like Charlie Miller's Dunbury's Delusion from Expert Card Technique. I'm not sure about the method that you're referring to though. In any case, Charlie's handling is a classic for that effect.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Is it legal to rename a trick and not give credit to the original creator? ( they may give credit on the tape, I don't own it ) It seems these tapes are being sold with total disregard/disrespect to the greats of magic.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I know almost all the effects named, but most of them come from beginner books that usually don't credit the originators (eg. glass through table,ash on arm etc.)
No7 as already mentioned is Roy Walton. 9B sounds like a Harry Lorrayne move I saw in the Linking Ring magazine. 10 is Out of This World invented by Paul Curry. 12 sounds like John Bannon-he has an effect along these lines. The only difference is that he uses a Chinese coin instead of the ring.

Andre
MrRidge
View Profile
New user
Derby UK
76 Posts

Profile of MrRidge
'Trick Switch' is very similar to the Dunsbury Delusion to be found in 'Expert Card Technique' - Hugard and Braue. I think it was credited to Charles Miller. He doesn't use the glide though.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-06-15 00:08, rarrarrar wrote:
Is it legal to rename a trick and not give credit to the original creator? ( they may give credit on the tape, I don't own it ) It seems these tapes are being sold with total disregard/disrespect to the greats of magic.

Legal? Yeah.

Ethical? Not so much.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Imagine if someone else reprinted an effect with the same title, then there would be no doubt that it was a copy. My guess is individuals rename effects so that the perception of the trick being the same (or them copying and publishing the same effect) diminishes.

Regarding Here then There, I wrote Ellusionist customer service and someone replied that he thought it was Dai Vernon who originated this effect, if he wasn't mistaken. It didn't sound certain, but it was the best reply I received.
Staggerlee
View Profile
New user
Chicago
61 Posts

Profile of Staggerlee
Raraar,
This has been talked about ad nauseum. Please use the search engine. Or better yet email Brad and ask him if it's unethical? Personally, I don't know what the point of your question is unless it's to start something. Are you a lawyer? Why are you so interested in this? Please don't tell me it's out of respect for the greats.
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Quote:
On 2004-06-15 16:38, Staggerlee wrote:
Raraar,
This has been talked about ad nauseum. Please use the search engine. Or better yet email Brad and ask him if it's unethical? Personally, I don't know what the point of your question is unless it's to start something. Are you a lawyer? Why are you so interested in this? Please don't tell me it's out of respect for the greats.

Im trying to figure out how a business based completely off of stolen material is able to flourish. Several members at their forum believe Brad invented these effects, I'm simply looking to set the record straight, and inform people of this nonsense. The reason I posted this is to get the information. And I am doing this out of respect for the greats! I like magic and don't want it disrespected like this. I was wondering if it is legal to do this, but also I am just upset about what they are doing.
Staggerlee
View Profile
New user
Chicago
61 Posts

Profile of Staggerlee
It's definitely not legal, but Brad has come out and apologized and has corrected it. Hopefully, it won't happen in the future.
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Do you know where I can view this apology? Also, he is still doing it! 'The Revolution' is a variation at best.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
3. Sick Aces - depending on the method of dealing, this is Belchou's Aces from The Dragon magazine. (I cannot say for sure not seeing how the dealing is being handled.)

4. Trace Unseen - the Kaleidoscopic Card in T Nelson Downs Art of MAgic accomplishes the same effect, though it was not the method Blaine used. Check the Fulves Riffle Shuffle Set up Book for a lot of the history on this kind of effect.

10. Chance Zero. - a version of Paul Curry's Out of this World.

11. Print! - reads like Ammar's handling for the business card printing.

12. Melted - again, there are many methods to do this, from CLifton's Ring Move in Variations to a plethora of ideas in the Wilmarth Ring and String Book.
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
This matter is closed, there is a credit page on ellsionist, so I have all the info I need, thanks for everyones help.

ps. I didn't find the credits page on there site ( I'm sure its placed in the middle of nowhere ) I did a search on these forums and it was mentioned.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Rarrarrar,

I'm glad you found the info you needed!! We have been talking about this stuff for over 2 years now here at the Café so it's a pretty worn out subject but I appreciate your passion for the history of our craft.
Drive Carefully
rarrarrar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of rarrarrar
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 15:21, LeConte wrote:
Rarrarrar,

I'm glad you found the info you needed!! We have been talking about this stuff for over 2 years now here at the Café so it's a pretty worn out subject but I appreciate your passion for the history of our craft.

LeConte, thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad to hear others feel similar to the way I do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Could someone tell me the names of the original creators of the following tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL