The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » boomerang rubber band (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
I saw this on denny and lee's website. has anybody here bought/used this? it is a 4 dollar manuscript-

*****Boomerang Rubber Band
A most unusual effect. Performer stretches a rubber band around his outstretched thumb and little finger. He then shoots the rubber band across the room about 15 feet. It hits the floor and begins a reverse spin and returns to the performer rolling on its edge!! Charlie Miller created much talk with this effect many years ago in Genii Magazine. Now here is this legendary juggling feat that will amaze everyone.
sounds too good!!!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It is interesting, but hardly amazing!

I think it may also have been on Dan Harlan's Band Shark, or another of his - cant recall.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to entertain yourself, this will keep you busy for a while. But in my oponion, it has little magic value, and the entretainment value is also fairly low.

Having said that, If you already do a bunch of other band dancing, then this might add a change of pace. But dont expect a standing ovation. It is just a "trick" and most folks look at it as... well; "cute" at best. And $4 is not a fortune, so if you think it works for you, go for it.

Maybe if I did it better, I would feel different, but I dont like it well enough to keep playing with it. So my opinion, is just that; my opinion.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
177 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
When I saw Paul Daniels a few months ago he kinda opened with this.
He also did two at the same time which was pretty smart.

It is very good to look at but like the Bro'ster said it's 'Cute', the audience went 'Ahhhh' & 'Ooh' rather than 'WOW!'

Still like to know how it's done tho' so I guess it might be worth four bucks!

Cheers!

Mark
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I forgot where,but someone on this listed posted the URL which taught how to do this trick.

:kitty:
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Its here http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......forum=37
but you'll have to post to 50 messages before you can go in.
Bernard Sim
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5669 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Save your money. It's not worth the time needed to learn it -- gets very little audience reaction.

The manuscript is only for the self-indulgent, IMHO.
http://www.sneakymagician.com/

Where have some of the most valuable members gone?
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
557 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
I disagree, the boomerang rubberband gets great reaction. Buy it.
If you set the trick up buy doing a few tricks with rubberbands, the boomerang effect closes like no other. Get Dan Harlans Bandshark.
There will also be a new GAGS video out soon; it will be explained there.
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
It's not on Dan's The Bandshark video; it may be on one of the three volume set of Dan's videos by L&L, but my copies aren't readily accessible for me to check. Perhaps somebody else can confirm. Buy The Bandshark if you're into rubberband magic, because it has some killer material you won't find on Dan's other videos, but don't buy it expecting to find the boomerang band.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Stan Cohen (from Al's Magic Shop fame) learned the boomerang rubber band and did it all of the time. I think he enjoyed performing it but every single person under the age of 18 that saw him do that wanted one. Some of those over the age of 18 bought it as well.

I think I had it in a manuscript form.
ME
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
Sounds like a cute little trick, can't wait to learn it. Love rubber band tricks..
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Boomerang Band can be found on volume 3 of the Dan Harlan Rubber Band Magic video series. In the introduction to this stunt, Dan states that this is one of the most impressive things that you can do with a rubber band. The manuscript by Chris Kenner and Dan Garrett teaches a slightly different get ready to the Dan Harlan tape. The Kenner/Garrett method enables you to shoot rubberbands from both hands.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1015 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Hm... I tried the method, in a free link, but I could not get it to work. Maybe it only works for those who pay? Smile

Mikael
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
thanks everybody!
Joedy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Joedy
Is this illusion related to ITR or does it require ITR?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
It has nothing to do with ITR.
Bernard Sim
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
550 Posts

Profile of KC
While I was attending college last year, I showed the boomerang rubberband to some students, to some really strong reactions.

Eventually I showed a Chinese guy and a Phillipino guy, and one of them said, "So. We used to due this back in our country when we were kids." The other guy said, "Yeah, back in my country, the kids do this and play games with it."

Although, they did the two-handed version, while I was doing the one-handed version.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You can find instructions for the Boomerang Band at:
http://user.icx.net/~doncox/
Frankly, I don't find it all that amazing; interesting skill, like juggling, but not very "magical".
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
KC, I had a similar experience - a vietnamese student of mine knew a different way of accomplishing the same effect.

When you get the right kind of rubberband, you can really get it to roll back from quite a distance, and most people are amazed by it. I agree with Peter that it isn't quite magic, therefore when I show it to people, I also teach them how to do it.
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
550 Posts

Profile of KC
I have an somewhat unpleasant story regarding the boomerang rubberband. Like I mentioned in the earlier post, I would show this around campus, and like Ben, I would teach people how to do it.

Anyways, I showed a female friend of mine, and she did it on her very first try. I don't talk to her anymore. It took me a day just to understand the set-up, and it took another day to learn how to shoot it so it comes off the thumb nail just right. And this person does it on her very first try. Maybe I'm a good teacher, but still, that was rather upsetting for me.
Joedy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Joedy
Thanks for posting the link, Peter. I tend to agree that it might be a good wrap-up illusion, but it seems to be weak as a stand alone illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » boomerang rubber band (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL