The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's another excellent concept.

One thing that I disagree with that shows up in most of the Topit books and DVD's is the idea of pinning the topit into your jacket. If you are just learning how to use it, this is fine. But if you start using it regularly, you should install a topit into each jacket that you use in performance.

It should be like any other part of your costume.

Some will say that they don't perform professionally, so they don't want to do this. Nonsense! If you work with it correctly, it won't get in your way, and you will be prepared all the time. You don't have to be a working pro to perform professional level magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 05:58, Bill Palmer wrote:

... You don't have to be a working pro to perform professional level magic.

Worth writing down and remembering, Bill, much thanks...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
magicofrowhan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of magicofrowhan
I know every one as there preferences to the different styles of topit but I swear by Michael Ammar's version
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have Michael Ammar's Topit Book on Ebay right now...$29.95 with no reserve.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Quote:
Jay Scott Berry's topit however is also the result of a real work on his part and should be really seen (in my opinion) as a true evolution. By the way one of the things that Michael Ammar brought to the topit was its link with the outer jacket pocket...

Does the JSB topit allow for outer pocket retrieval?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want it to, you can do that. His revolution has to do more with another facet of the topit completely.

Quote:
On 2010-09-21 02:14, magicofrowhan wrote:
I know every one as there preferences to the different styles of topit but I swear by Michael Ammar's version

Have you actually seen the JSB topit? If you haven't, maybe you should suspend your judgment.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tpearman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
53 Posts

Profile of tpearman
So much great information on the topit and it's history. I never knew about the poachers bag and thieves pocket but I guess it would be perfect for those applications as well!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Sylvester the Jester has also developed a concept for performing some Topit effects with just a shirt and using suspenders (no jacket). Apparently this idea has been taken up by a French magician but I haven't seen him at work.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
When I worked as Jim Gerrish's assistant (many, many years ago) I wore what we facetiously called a "Back-it." It was worn on my back and Jim would dump in gimmicks he was finished with as I came near him and I would walk off and empty them out of the bag. This was BV (Before Velcro) which would make the whole concept of putting it on and taking it off a whole lot easier today, but both my assistant and performing days are over, so I leave it in your hands... or on your backs.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sylvester's method is incredible. You should see him fooling around with it at Dean's Shoppe....KILLS WITH IT. Retrievals are awesome. He sells it... go for it if you can work without a jacket.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
There is an early reference to the use of the topit for magical purposes that is generally ignored on p 44 of Convincing Coin Magic by Victor Farelli published in 1946 by George Armstrong in the UK
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
masterpritam
View Profile
New user
Mauritius
16 Posts

Profile of masterpritam
I just bought a coat for body loading and a Topit is being fixed to it. I followed Carl Cloutier instructions on a DVD but it did not really teach quite a lot about it. Please advise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Topit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL