The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Doug Henning rope trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I'm looking for a trick that Doug Henning did. He cut the rope, tied it together, moved the knot and untied it at the new location. Anyone know the name of this trick? Where can I get it? Is this OK for close-up?

Thanks,
BigJeff
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
3851 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
It is in the book Device and Illusion. The effect is called "Knot Unexpected".

Ray
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Ray, that book has some nice things in it.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
3851 Posts

It is a great book. There are some really great effects in it.

Ray
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WRONG.

Device and Illusion is a different method. Doug did Paul Curry's effect. It is in one of Curry's later published books.

It requires two assistants.

A one-man version that has gained popularity is marketed by Pavel.

I can still remember being FLOORED, literally, when I first saw Doug do this.

I was sitting in the front row during a show he did in New York at a university. When he did it, I had NO CLUE and believe me, I was NAILED...it is a miraculous effect.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
3851 Posts

WRONG.

You are half right. On page 109 of Device and Illusion it says that Henning used to do Paul Curry's "Sliding Knot" in one of his early specials. In 1984 Doug started doing "Knot Unexpected" by Jim Steinmeyer, which is the effect in Device and Illusion.

It requires two assistants and a knife. I have a video of Doug doing this effect on the Johnny Carson Show. It really got great reaction from Johnny and his audience.

Ray
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for the clarification. I had not seen Douglas do the later version.

I have a couple of one man ways as well, one very simple, the other just on paper yet, but a way to do the Curry version with chairs instead of assistants. (Gaffed to do the same as the assistants).
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5451 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Pete: I have worked on a version for two gaffed chairs as well. It has some interesting throw-offs built into it. PM me. Maybe we can combine some of our ideas on it. I also have a source for the gimmick.

Funny how great minds think alike.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Does it require two assistants or two spectators to help?

Thanks,
Jeff
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
4937 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Big Jeff, the Paul Curry method requires two assistants they are “set-up”. The Jim Steinmeyer method uses two audience members. The Pavel method uses just the magician on stage tying the rope to two objects (mike stand and chair). They are similar (but not identical) effects each with total different methodology.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Pete and Whit,

That's a great idea, using two chairs to tie the rope between.

I have the original Curry manuscript of the effect and I can see how this would be a very practical model of this illusion (eliminating the two assistants to hold the rope). I also made the Steinmeyer version, from his book. The Curry original is definitely stronger.

I agree with Pete, when I first saw Doug Henning do it on TV it was a mind blower. "Just no way," thought my little mind. Then I purchased the Paul Curry manuscript and I was very satisfied with how ingenious the method is. However, it's not practical for the small show, without at least two assistants. The chairs would be a great solution.

Go for it guys!
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
When I saw Henning in Indianapolis years ago he did the Pavel sliding knot. At one time Pavel sold a close-up version of this effect. I have an original hand sewn Pavel rope and treasure it greatly.
The weaver of Illusions
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
Where could you get the Paul Curry manuscript?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I have no idea. It was advertised in Genii magazine in about 1977 or '78 and I purchased it. I don't know who owns the rights and who may still have it for sale at this point.

Whit Haydn or Pete Biro would be more likely to know.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
4937 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Paul Curry's methodology is clearly explained and illustrated in his book, Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Googled " Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond" looks like it's out of print and not in stock most places. Is this easier to find than it appears?

I have an original copy of the Paul Curry Sliding Knot manuscript, but would like to get a copy of the book.

Might consider selling the manuscript - have had it for over 20 years and have never come close to performing it.

The beauty of this over Pavel's super sliding knot is that no one can examine the Pavel rope. In the Curry routine, tags attached to the ends of the rope are signed by a legitimate volunteer who gets to cut the rope tie and untie the knot, and in the end gets to keep the rope.

The trade-off is that you need two highly prepared assistants that are gaffed to the hilt to hold the rope.

Having written - all of the above, I start thinking about an upcoming venue where I may be able to perform this...

Is there anybody here who has ever attempted this effect? I'd like to discuss it with somebody who has actually used it.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
543 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I perform the one from device and illusion (Knot Unexpected) I
e-mailed Jim Steinmeyer about it before I put it together and he said not to buy the marketed knife neccesary to perform the trick as it was to small. I built mine and it works great.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Dario
I don't understand why the knife is too small, because if the piece is too big, doesn't look like a knot.

Do you perform it for adult audiences?
Best,
Dar�o
www.dariopiera.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Big Jeff's description sure sounded like Pavel's Super walking knot to me.
Daniel Faith
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For parlour use I worked out a way to do it without assistants, pulls, nothing but rubber cement and rope. Now I forget where I kept the notes. But, if you know the principle you could work it out. I used about seven feet of rope.

I "believe" John Cornelius has a similar handling with a short ungimmicked rope, not sure if he ever published it.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Dario
Hi Pete,

That is very interesting the idea to do it without assistants because eliminates all the problems and you can give them at the end is like if all are on the stage.

But, How do you change the rope?
It could be very usefull to me I think this is the worst point in the effect. Can you explain it in a more detailed manner. Thank you very much. I think I can develop the trick in a way that suits me very well That's why I'm so interested

Darío
Posted: Sep 15, 2004 3:44pm
---------------------------------------------
If someone is interested, the Cornelius handling is in one of his videotapes. I think is in "The Creative magic of John Cornelius" ( but is more like a quik effect)

And with the Pavel's phenomenal rope trick and super walking knot junior you can get the same effect in a more clear situation than in the Corelius version (but using a gimmicked rope)

Darío
Best,
Dar�o
www.dariopiera.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why give away the rope? You need it to do another show.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Dario
Hi Pete,

In he routine, you are telling that you are using chairs instead of assistants.

In one moment you need to free one end of the rope, make the change and then unknot the rope, I supose. Wich is your justification? or Do you do the trick in other way?

Best,
Darío

P.D:I was thinking in give away the rope, just for examination and some comedy byplay. Because they pay ONLY for a magician and not for rope pieces. And if they want to keep the ropefor himself I'll charge it in the bill.
Best,
Dar�o
www.dariopiera.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have NOT completely worked out the chair method, have not had time, but some day. If you know the original Curry trick, just think of doing it with heavy chairs.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2115 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Pete,
I think that doing the Curry Effect with Chairs is a marvelous idea. However, having to troup the chairs makes me wonder if it's that much better than the Pavel version. Maybe it is. I too, was floored when I first saw Doug Henning do it.

Chuck Mignosa had an interesting idea to "motivate" using chairs. After all, what reason do you have to tie the rope onto chairs. For that matter, why do two assistants have to carry one little rope out on stage for the Curry routine? Chuck is the partner of Ormond McGill and they used to take turns doing their shows for the National Federation of the Blind Fundraising shows they did all over Northern and Central California. When Ormond did his full evening show, Chuck traveled with him and acted as his assistant. And, vice versa.
So, Chuck would do his regular cut and restored routine during the first half of the show. As intermission drew to it's conclusion, Ormond would walk out on stage dressed as a janitor and swept the stage with a broom. The, when most of the people were into their seats, he'd bring out a couple of chairs and position them the proper distance apart. Then, he'd bring out a rope and tie it to the chairs. Then Chuck entered for the second half, surprised to see the "janitor" on stage. Ormond would point to the rope and say: "Okay, Mr. Magician lets see you cut THAT rope and put it back together." Chuck would get the scissors, and ask the "janitor" "Where do you want me to cut it." Ormond would pick a spot... and you know the rest.

Suddenly, the chairs have a REASON. And, a good trick was even stronger.

Dennis Loomis
P.S. Chuck and Ormond did NOT perform for blind people. The sponsor was raising money for blind people.
I once did a show for a group of people in which half of them were blind, and the other half deaf. Think about that for a moment... how would you have handled it?
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 17:26, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I once did a show for a group of people in which half of them were blind, and the other half deaf. Think about that for a moment... how would you have handled it?
No problem..I would have done my invisible pass, as the blind ones couldn't se it and the deaf once couldn't hear the noise I made when doing it Smile Smile Smile , that's what they call *covering all angles * Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Doug Henning rope trick (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.837247 seconds, requiring 92 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [7] [6] [0] [0] [8] [6]