The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Name that move!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hey guys,

I've recently spotted a move I'd like to use in a routine. It's in the clip of Copperfield's 'Grandpa's Aces', where he produces the Aces from the middle (apparently) of the deck. The cards appear to pop out of the deck at 90 degree angles, before being placed on the table. I hope that's a decent enough explanation. Can anyone tell me the name of said move and perhaps a source where I can learn it?

Thanks guys!

-- Topher
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Haven't seen Copperfield's routine but sounds like the Forton "Pop Out" move... You can learn it in Frank Simon's "Versatile Card Magic".

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
If you are referring to Piet Forton's pop-out move, its first appearance in print was in an early issue of The Gen, within a Noel Stanton trick. It was first published by Piet himself in July 1964 when it ran in the same magazine (Vol. 20, No. 3). It later appeared in Mr. Forton's 1967 lecture notes. In March 1975, it appeared in Epilogue (No. 23, p. 7). Later still, in 1983, it appeared in Frank Simon's Versatile Card Magic (pp. 76-77).
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
You can find it in the Art of Card Manipulation vol. 1 by Jeff McBride.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I don't think you should learn it from The Art of Card Manipulation with Jeff McBride. I recently saw Piet Forton lecture and though he is now senile, he is still very good at the pop out move. He taught it in the lecture and tips of why people are doing the move wrong. The reason they are doing it wrong is the way that McBride does it. He does a jerking action with his wrist and that's now how it is meant to be done or look.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
David, since you've had a enviable experience of learning from the master himself, could you share Forton's tips on how to best do the pop-out move? I, too, tried to learn it from Jeff McBride and have never mastered it very well. It's more like a Fling-Out Move or Flop-Out Move the way I ungracefully do it.

:bikes:
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I actually wouldn't call him a master, more of an old man attempting to do tricks, but that's a different story for a different time (it's way too long to explain here).

Well. He says to have your break as you normally would. Now the action of the right hand isn't jerking outward. The hand DOES jerk forward sleightly, but barely, just enough to get the card out. Now, in order to make it come out farther, while you are jerking the wrist sleightly, your right hand sort of creates air under the card but by raising the right hand sleightly and coming down as the wrist jerks forward.

It's really hard to explain without showing but the main thing is the card doesn't come out by the wrist jerking forward, it comes out by the right hand coming downward towards the table.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I think these "tips" are also talked about in the "Versatile Card Magic" Book and DVD recently done by Earl Nelson....
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I recently saw him lecture also (David, what did you think of his trick with those magnets? lol) and ever since seeing him do it, I have finally been able to do it also. It's a beautiful move. I have to agree with everything David said above.
-Chris
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I met Piet briefly at Blackpool this year, and I certainly would not have described him as 'senile'.

Old, maybe.

Take care, Ian
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Thanks, David. I'll try it as you suggest. It's a great looking move when done well.

:bikes:
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
It used to be that people showed respect to those who came before them. Those days are gone, gone, gone...
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I beleive that Piet was good back in the day. He obviously was if he won FISM a couple of times. But I guess you would have to see him now to understand what I am saying.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
They would have to see him David. I have great respect for him. You just have to see him lecture to understand.
-Chris
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
We know what your saying and thinking , nothing we can do about that I guess .... maybe when ur old someone will kick you in the ball's...
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
Even if David Ranalli was correct in his descriptions of Piet Forton, and he is not, it is disgraceful of him to write thus and I suggest the Magic Café would be a better place without the despicable postings of Mr Ranalli.
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I am correct and obviously people would agree with me if they saw him. Anyone at the Conclave this year would. He won FISM a few times, obviously he had to have been good at one time or another. I admit my post may have been insulting, but unless you've seen him perform then I don't think you should be defending something you don't know anything about.
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
I was with Piet last December, he was handling cards well as a medical problem he had with his hands had improved. Even if Mr Ranalli considers himself so knowledgeable on the matter it does not excuse the objectionable and uncalled-for language. Piet Forton dveloped a great move, enough.

I think that what it boils down to is Ranalli's incorrect and unwise use of the word "senile" which has connotations further than age. Maybe he will confirm?
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Piet handles cards very well and still does his pop out move great. I myself us it all the time and I was able to improve it from the tips he gave. I think you have misunderstood what I have been saying (or I said it wrong or not enough). The problem I found with him lies in his performance. In the middle of the act he turns around to reverse cards very obviously, throws in random things, messes up over and over again with the same thing, and drops things in the lecture and performance, etc. Perhaps as a person he is not senile, I admit I may have gone to far on that. But when it comes to performing I think the performance has decreased since his FISM days. I think magicians as well as bands need to know when to stop or decrease performing. I think the band KISS (which I'm a huge fan of) should have quit performing years ago due to a decrease in the quality of their shows. My view is the same to Piet. He may be a great guy but his shows were not put together well and he couldn't do half the things he was lecturing about. I talked to him in April and he was nice, but watching him perform was unbearable.

I think it's very rare to see a performer of any kind (be it clowns, magicians, musicians, dancers, comedians) who still perform as good as they used to. I think that because we are magicians we don't concider ourselves as the type of performers who could end up not being good with age. Our views seem to be the other way around, that with age comes experience and ability. But we all get old and I think we need to understand that rather than avoid talking about it. I too will get old as will everyone else, and with that could go my talent. I don't beleive that magic is a way to avoid retirement. But retiring doesn't mean you have to quit something completely.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
I suppose, since you're willing to state your opinion in front of thousands of magicians, that you're also willing to say all this to Mr. Forton's face. Indeed, you may already have, since the Internet is pretty open to just about anyone these days.

Okay... then... you were at his lecture... why didn't you? Why bring it onto the Internet instead? That's the disrespectful part I was talking about...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Name that move!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL