The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What are the best sponge rabbits made? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
At present I'm using a yellowish sponge rabbit with red ears and it's not that realistic. Someone told me that there's a hand made white sponge rabbit out there. Does anyone know who makes it or what dealer carries it?
Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
603 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:

At present I'm using a yellowish sponge rabbit with red ears and it's not that realistic.

Realism isn't what makes the sponge rabbits so great, it's the magic happening in their hands that has made this a classic. I have used many different types through the years but always seem to come back to the yellow ones. Actually, I use ladybugs now but it plays the same.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
It's Eddie Ace's. These are the originals that the Ammar Rabbits are based on. They are beautiful and the get the "awwwwwwe" reaction before you even start. Kept in plastic, they last quite awhile. Not cheap, but well worth it!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Are these the 3-D bunnies I've seen? They're cute!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Nope, not the 3D Bunnies but the best sponge rabbits or anythings for that matter that you can buy.

Eddie Ace can provide you with just about anything you ask for providing you can describe it or send him a drawing or photo.

He is an excellent craftsman and can carve just about anything out of sponge.

Check Him Out. You Won't Be Sorry.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I like the 3d bunnies by Gosh/Ammar.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
Does Eddie Ace have a web site or how do I get in contact with him? Thanks.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Thanks for the info Vincent! I've had a few ideas about various different sponge shapes over the years. I'll have to check this guy out.

itsmagic
View Profile
Special user
middle earth
736 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I've been using the yellow bunnies to great reaction every time. Recently I purchased the 3D bunnies, they are a hundred times cuter, however, they feel thicker and bulkier, especially for the final load. Because of that I haven't used them yet. Soon I will.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of jezza
I have Ammars ones and norm nielson 3d ones (the Ammar ones I find are good because they really open up big when the hand is opened and they are quite visual) the norm nielson ones are well made , I change between using both
serge storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
363 Posts

Profile of serge storms
So many people do sponge rabbits that I stopped doing them years ago. I'd actually take them out at a table and people would say "oh no, not the foam rabbit trick again..." so I stopped - but, Mike rogers used to put out a really nice set if he still makes them.
"Overkill is Under-rated"
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
First, Mike is deceased.
Second, in 25 years of working close-up and tables, no one has ever(!) said, "Not the rabbit trick again" to me.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Rabbits don't really fit my image. Do they make, say... bats?

Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
309 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
The rabbits don't really fit my style, but I use them anyway. Especially for women, they're are the true killers to them. A lot of times after I did the bunnies, I'm doing some very nice Card tricks. Ambition card, finished with card to pocket and pack to pocket. Sure, they like it, but when I say goodbye to the people they always say: the bunnies, they were REALLY great. I kind a hate these little ***s... Smile
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..." www.zaubererlink.ch
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
Darryl,

You can go to your local magic shop and try to get them orded. If not, the local magic shop in Cincinnati has them. They are $40 a set and real nice. The web site is hanieshoc.com. If they are not on there, call them and they can send them to you. Just ask for betty and tell her Tom James sent you. She will hook you right up.

Tom
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I use the Sponge Bunnies all the time; they seem to be favored primarily by rank beginners and hardened professionals.

Done properly, they are one of the strongest things you can do. There is simply nothing stronger than magic happening in the spectator's hands. In my routine the first bunny appears visibly in child's open hands - and that's when the adults at the table scream.

I have tried several sets of bunnies over the years. The Eddie Ace bunnies are by far the best quality. Unfortunately, they are made form a type of sponge that is so bulky that using any decent number of babies will tip off the final load.

So I use the Goshman/Ammar "3D" bunnies, which I believe are made now only in buff with brown highlights and not red. THey are "Super Soft" and so the spec is less likely to tip to the final load.

I get special, larger "Poppa" bunnies from Steve Dacri because they create a larger contrast in size with the babies. I also get babies in bulk, because it's so easy to lose them.

I use 3 adults and 7 babies in my routine, because the transpo to the spec's hand is SO much stronger if they can see the 2nd adult going into my hand AFTER they have the "one" in their hand. I use seven babies because that's the minimum number that the average person will have trouble counting at a glance, so they register as "many" - and I want to create the impression that there are HUGE numbers of bunnies appearing.

I also use a wand, which covers a multitude of sins, and gives you two free passes into your pockets - one to get the wand, one to put it away.

Hope this helps,
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5577 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I don't know if it's current or not, but I have a phone number for Eddie Ace, from his business card - (412) 462-1557.

I almost bought a set of his bunnies. Then the 3-D rabbits came out.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-06-27 02:03, Firedice27 wrote:
Rabbits don't really fit my image. Do they make, say... bats?

You could make them, but people would think you are batty.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1120 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Steve Dacri's are the best. I use the normal size ones and finish with the Goshman Jumbo. I've had problems with customer service with him in the past however.

Caleb
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-18 01:59, cjmagicman wrote:
Steve Dacri's are the best. I use the normal size ones and finish with the Goshman Jumbo. I've had problems with customer service with him in the past however.

Caleb

I also found that his customer service stinks.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
2626 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 18:04, EricHenning wrote:
I use the Sponge Bunnies all the time; they seem to be favored primarily by rank beginners and hardened professionals.

Done properly, they are one of the strongest things you can do. There is simply nothing stronger than magic happening in the spectator's hands. In my routine the first bunny appears visibly in child's open hands - and that's when the adults at the table scream.

I have tried several sets of bunnies over the years. The Eddie Ace bunnies are by far the best quality. Unfortunately, they are made form a type of sponge that is so bulky that using any decent number of babies will tip off the final load.

So I use the Goshman/Ammar "3D" bunnies, which I believe are made now only in buff with brown highlights and not red. THey are "Super Soft" and so the spec is less likely to tip to the final load.

I get special, larger "Poppa" bunnies from Steve Dacri because they create a larger contrast in size with the babies. I also get babies in bulk, because it's so easy to lose them.

I use 3 adults and 7 babies in my routine, because the transpo to the spec's hand is SO much stronger if they can see the 2nd adult going into my hand AFTER they have the "one" in their hand. I use seven babies because that's the minimum number that the average person will have trouble counting at a glance, so they register as "many" - and I want to create the impression that there are HUGE numbers of bunnies appearing.

I also use a wand, which covers a multitude of sins, and gives you two free passes into your pockets - one to get the wand, one to put it away.

Hope this helps,

I agree with the above AND would add that this trick is a rare case where quantity is more important than quality--check the dealers for "Rabbit Explosion"--this is inexpensive and EFFECTIVE. Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4417 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Jay Scott Berry has fine Rabbits (Bunnies):
http://www.jayscottberry.com/jsbsponges.html
Magic is very fun!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-06-26 19:53, gkfreed wrote:
First, Mike is deceased.
Second, in 25 years of working close-up and tables, no one has ever(!) said, "Not the rabbit trick again" to me.

Maybe now he's making sponge angels.

we miss Mike very much down here!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1155 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Gosh Man I don't know.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
JoeHohman
View Profile
Veteran user
Erie
315 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Eric Henning,

Great post, man! You answered just about every conceivable question about bunnies I've ever had. Thanks!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Doesn't anyone dislike having to pay full retail to replace the bunnies when they wear out. I understand needing to pay it the first time for the "secret" and all, but after that they are a commodity like mouth coils.

Kirk
JoeHohman
View Profile
Veteran user
Erie
315 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I tried to carve my own once from some bulk foam I purchased. They ended up looking like, well, little butchered squares.

I'll pay the money.
T. Lamanske
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of T. Lamanske
To Reis O'Brien:

I don't know about bats but Eddie Ace makes other figures besides rabbits. I remember several years ago when the movie "Gremlins" came out, he was making those. I beleive he also makes bears and probably other things. He might even make something custom for you. And regardless to what anyone on this thread says, Eddie's really are the best quality around. Trust me, I've seen em all.

To EricHenning:

Hey bucko, how's it been going? we haven't spoken since the Inaugural Ball almost 4 years ago. Good to know you're still going strong.

Regarding the size of the final load in the spectators hand. I use 2 adults and 8 babies (Eddie Ace brand). First, I should mention that at the end of the routine they beleive I am handing them both adults to hold. Not just one. Which will justify a little more bulk than if they thought they were only supposed to be holding one.

The other thing I do, and I'm sure you do this too, is I make sure that I use a different person for each phase of the routine. In other words, the person who is holding all the bunnies at the end, never got to hold the bunnies before that. So, they have no idea what it feels like to have 2 bunnies in their closed hand. It's a small thing but it makes a big difference.

all the best to you sponge workers.

Todd
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
One of the regulars here on the Café produces a wonderful set of Bunnies. His come with a real workers routine. The neat thing about these Bunnies is they come with a couple of great gags built in. PM bdekolta for more info.

Ronnie
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1155 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

I will credit Alan Astra with this as he told me, although it my be someone elses.

On the final load he puts about a dozen small bunnies in their hand.

On the offbeat he loads his own hand with at least another dozen.

On the reveal he take the rabbits out off the punters hand and puts then on the table - spreading them with his loaded other hand saying "Just look how many there are"

24 bunnies for the price of a 12 bunnie load.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What are the best sponge rabbits made? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.241171 seconds, requiring 100 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [9] [6] [6] [1] [8] [7] [2]