The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hugard's Encyclopedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I was venturing through the vast realm of knowledge which we call Barnes and Noble, when I happened upon their small magic section.

There I found Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks for a mere ten dollars.

I know this work is not the most advanced...but still, it is GREAT for a coin worker like myself who is trying to expand into card work.

Just thought I would share this find.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
It is a great book. I treasure it like I do Scarne on Card Tricks. These books do not have advancedc work in them but as YOU advance, revisit these books and add sleights back into some of the effects and you have miracles.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
What's a pitty thing if you don't have this book on your shelves.

It is a quickest way to read this book to learn huge range of card trcks with one book.

Hideo Kato
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Hi, guys,

I agree fully with 01 and Kato. I've been revisiting the Encyclopedia more often as my developement as a magician got stronger. Some months ago, I learned my memorized deck, so I checked the Nikola chapter looking for effects. The last effect in the book, "A Subtle Game", is magnificent. Not only does it allow you to put a shuffled deck in order in front the spectators, they do it for you while there's magic happening in their hands! I'm currently reading the chapter on pre-arranged decks. A gem.

federico
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I've noticed that with a lot of my older books. As I get better, I find more and more in them. I'm re-reading Tarbell right now and am amazed (and I thought I knew the books pretty well) everyday at finding something I never noticed before. I think as we need different things, we notice different things.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I agree also. Great book. I find mind self going through it ever few months and always finding something I never seemed to notice before. The last thing I learned from it was "Miraskill." I believe that's the name. What a great trick!
-Chris
Michael G
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Michael G
Yeah, I love the Encyclopedia. That's where I learned the Nikola stack, which I use all the time. If you update the presentation, there are some great tricks in there! I'm always finding gold every time I flick through!
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Quickerthantheye,

If you like Miraskill, you'll love the work Norman Gilbreath put into it. It's been published in one the latest Penumbra, along with variations by some of the boys.

federico
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just saw this book for $4 at a used bookstore today. I should have bought it! Poop!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-07-02 19:19, Firedice27 wrote:
I just saw this book for $4 at a used bookstore today. I should have bought it! Poop!

Not to worry. It's not that much more for a new copy, and it's only $7 for your Palm Pilot at lybrary.com.

Anything by Hugard is worth visiting and re-visiting. I keep surprising myself when I discover that the newest tricks being sold (under various names) are often right there in the good old Encyclopedia.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
When I saw that book I didn't think it was that great, but because everyone said it was so good I guess I should give it another look.

Ryan
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
You can find the ebook from thelearnedpig.com

From the news I heard, the facilitator of the site is very strict in selecting members. Two years ago I joined in, but I cannot login right now.

Budi
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I did in fact pick it up for 10 bucks at a used book store last week. I didn't really save that much, though, in comparison to buying it new.

It was one of those books that wasn't in my library but should have been a while ago...
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hugard's Encyclopedia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL