The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Snap Change Clean Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Here’s neat way to clean up after a Marlo Snap Change.

Here’s the effect: you do a snap change and nonchalantly toss the changed card onto the table, while showing both hands clean. You can flip the tabled card over, showing its not a do*ble.

I stumbled onto this bit while after playing with a popular packet trick (since I’m going to spill the workings of my clean-up, I will keep the name of the packet trick secret). Here’s the gaff: place a small piece of double sided tape onto the front of the card to be changed (the side first facing the spectators). After the snap, the card should be in a position where you can press it down onto the back of the new card, creating two cards stuck together. While the spectators can’t handle the card, you can be pretty cavalier in your handling without tipping the gaff.

I haven’t seen trick before, so I am not divulging anyone’s secrets but my own by spilling it here. Since it seems so straight-forward, however, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone hadn’t hit on this first. I would appreciate a head’s up if someone else has come up with this already.

Let me know how this works out for you!
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Seems like a good idea, but don't you feel it's a somewhat "long" way to go to clean up a Snap Change?

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
jalsing
View Profile
New user
Allen, TX
89 Posts

Profile of jalsing
I guess if the only effect you're doing is the Snap Change, say, for video or a quick "look at this" trick, that would work. Otherwise, you couldn't use the card in a normal way. For example, spectator selects, wrong card is found, snap change to right card, etc.

Jason
clipse14
View Profile
New user
California
2 Posts

Profile of clipse14
Wouldn't that arouse suspicion? If you're good enough to get both cards to stick together, you should just toss them on top of the pack.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Hmm. The way I learned the Snap Change leaves you with one card facing the spectators and one, shall we say, at a right angle to it. So, getting it into position to be stuck to the "changed" card requires some real talent (and risk a lot of exposure).

Unless you know some subtlety that I don't, the best way I know to handle it is to follow the McBride method and do it right over a hand-held deck. Then you're in the perfect position to ditch the extra.

:bikes:
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
That's also how I do it, Blackwood. Works perfectly.
Deal cards, not drugs!
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Blackwood, yes, I'm referring to the same snap-change, with the same ending position.

Let's assume you snap with the right hand: to clean up, all you have to do is place both cards into the left hand while using the right index finger and thumb in a slow motion snap to lever the front card back under the card at right angles. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Marlo did this clean up himself. Check it out on his "Cardician" DVD. So as far as the snap change clean-up is concerned, nothing new there. The only new bit is the little piece of tape.

Additionally, if you can work another piece of double stick tape on to the other card, you can do the move over and over, while demonstrating that it is just one card in between snaps. Even though the cards are taped together, the snap overcomes the adhesion, and allows for a clean change.

Play around with it and let me know.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Frankly, I like the idea. If you perform the change, then as you turn your hand downwards to throw it on the table you can pull both cards into a sort of Tenkai position securing the tape with your middle finger. I just tried it a few times and it looks cool.

Usually, I would do the Snap Change when sitting and just lap the second card, but this way that Thomas suggested helps to bring it into a standing/walk-around routine.

Of course, the major downside is that the spectators can't touch it. ARGH!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
A nice subtlety is to give the combined cards a spinning toss from one hand to the other. There’s no way you could do that with an ungaffed double. I also find that holding the cards by a corner helps to give the impression of a solo card.

If you wanted to hand out the card afterwards, have a duplicate of the changed card on top of the pack and do a top change.

Again, if anyone else has published this clean-up, I would appreciate knowing.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 12:48, cloneman wrote:
A nice subtlety is to give the combined cards s spinning toss from one hand to the other. There’s no way you could do that with an ungaffed double.

Both Paul Harris and Greg Wilson have published methods for doing this...

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Cool. I'll try it.

:bikes:
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Your idea is pretty good, but to be honest I think it's easier and cleaner to just hold the deck in the left hand and do the snap change in the right, and then just ditch the card as your right hand moves over the left to set the visible card on the table.

TJ
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Segal, are you refering to "Instant Replay" and "Simple Switch"? Smile

Really though this sounds Luke Dancy, but if you want double stick tape magic, go to him. Top notch.

Personally to use the tape just to clean up when I can use misdirection and the top of the pack instead seems a bit much to me.

This idea is best used when the effect that follows it relies on the prepared card for another purpose. Ala Dancy...
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
If you want to fool with magicians, use a double faced card in front of a regular card. After performing the snap change, "accidentally" flash the card in the rear. Then say, "Whoops, I sort of flashed that one, huh?" Because of the movement that takes place during the snap change, you can drop the rear card to the table and it will show the opposite side of the double facer. You have, "accidentally," affected two changes.

This neat idea belongs to Allan Ackerman, and can be found in Magic Mafia Effects (p. 35).

Another idea is to let the spectator reach up and take the card after you've changed it. As they do, you force the hidden card into Tenkai palm. Thus, you've silently implied that you have only a single card.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 14:28, S.Segal wrote:
Quote:
A nice subtlety is to give the combined cards s spinning toss from one hand to the other. There’s no way you could do that with an ungaffed double.

Both Paul Harris and Greg Wilson have published methods for doing this.

S.Segal

Do they use the double-sided tape method I described?

Quote:
On 2004-07-09 14:37, MagicAndBlackjack wrote:
Your idea is pretty good, but to be honest I think it's easier and cleaner to just hold the deck in the left hand and do the snap change in the right, and then just ditch the card as your right hand moves over the left to set the visible card on the table.

TJ

I've tried this method, similar to McBride's. I wanted to create a method where both hands are as clean as possible.

Another tip: I've been using a black card with a red back and a red card with a blue back. When sandwiched together it looks as if the black card has a blue back and visa versa. Now the snap change will change both the back and front colors.

Do this a few times then finally offer to change just one side. Do the snap, but Tenkai palm or otherwise ditch the hidden card. You have now done the impossible - printed the black card in the red back (or visa versa).

If you can figure out a way to remove the tape (I'm still working on this) this "mismatched" card can be handed out for final inspection.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Cameron, that idea sounds hilarious! Good call!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 14:37, MagicAndBlackjack wrote:

TJ

I agree TJ... this is how I clean up from Snap Changes...

Quote:
On 2004-07-09 14:56, Justin Hart wrote:
Segal, are you referring to "Instant Replay" and "Simple Switch"? Smile

Yes... and I second what you say about Luke Dancy. The effects showcased on Magic 4 The Eyes are great...

http://www.lukedancy.com

Quote:
On 2004-07-09 15:26, cloneman wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 14:28, S.Segal wrote:
Quote:

Both Paul Harris and Greg Wilson have published methods for doing this...

S.Segal

Do they use the double-sided tape method I described?

No, they are both ungaffed.
simply Sydney DVD here!
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
That sounds really good!

Ryan
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Check out J.C. Wagner's A-1 video. He uses the snap change behind the bar using his left hand to shield the bad angle on the left side. I believe he cleans up by bringing the two cards back into alignment with the right hand and then putting them back on the deck as a single card. It looks good on the tape.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Snap Change Clean Up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL