The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Books for travelling light (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
I'm going on a trip this weekend, travelling light. I was thinking what book should I take to compliment my deck of cards. As most of my books are large heavy hardbound, I was musing over what to take.

The answer, which seems obvious now, was Erdnase.

Just wondering what book you would choose for travelling light.

And by the way has anyone else noticed how diesproportinatly heave the Vernon Chronicles books are. I'm sure the Inner Card Trilogy weighs the same as Marlo's much larger RCT.
Peakey
View Profile
New user
Australia
50 Posts

Profile of Peakey
The Card Magic of Nick Trost, reasoning being it'll be arriving @ my doorstep any day now. So when it does arrive, it would be the one I'd pack.

Heard a lot of good things on the Café, re: this book, so I'm looking forward to it.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
I'd take either erdnase or ect.
Deal cards, not drugs!
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Marlo In Spades
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 06:05, Peakey wrote:
The Card Magic of Nick Trost, reasoning being it'll be arriving @ my doorstep any day now. So when it does arrive, it would be the one I'd pack.

Heard a lot of good things on the Café, re: this book, so I'm looking forward to it.

This is my favorite card book. You will not be disappointed in this book.Heavy on sublety and contains many of my personal favorites.This is my #1 pick for taking it along with a deck of cards, which coincidently I will be doing next week.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
"Card Control"
"Expert Card Technique"
One of several Lorayne books (though "Close up Card Magic" is as heavy as I'd be willing to go for "lightness").
"Anneman's Card Magic"
"...and a Pack of Cards"
"Sleight of Hand"
"Modern Coin Magic"

Any one of those would do nicely.
tjo'
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Well, it all depends on what you want: (1) a classic book in order to work on things you already know, or (2) a new book to discover and see if you find material that appeal to you.
If (1), I would take Ortiz's "strong magic" or Marlo's "side-steal" or Lovell's "second to none"...
If (2), it all depends of you. I would probably take Lovell's "son of Simon says", or a collected volume of Apocalypse (Er... not particularly light...)
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
RRTCM
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Take a good Sci-fi novel. Spend your spare time just going through your moves (that you already know) to get them smooth.
Or
Take just 2-3 new routines (tricks from a book, photocopied for weight reasons) and learn them by heart.
This will give you a few top class weapons for use on return.
Plus you can parctise on strangers (on hols) without the need of seeing them ever again if you mess up Smile

[will leave this typo in 'parctise' it made me laugh]
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Cruise
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Cruise
I agree with partizan on practice what you know

BUT THE BEST THING

is get some books on ebook on a laptop. there is a site now that sells all kinds of magic ebooks now then you can also watch videos if you have a dvd player on it or if your vids are save to laptop

if you have to have a book book then erdnase is good
ask harry why he dont want people to know he makes $200 a month for all these ads! thats like $4000 a month! oh but SHHH! harry isnt a real person!
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 09:25, jcards01 wrote:
Marlo In Spades

This would be a great choice.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Actually, I would recommend taking a non-magic book.

It's amazing how studying something else can add to and help create wonderful presentations for a magical effect. Plus it gives your brain a needed rest.

Black holes, roman history, witchdoctors, alchemy,
how to make paper, art, greek gods, volcanos.

What else are you interested in?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Peakey
View Profile
New user
Australia
50 Posts

Profile of Peakey
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 09:35, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 06:05, Peakey wrote:

This is my favorite card book. You will not be disappointed in this book.Heavy on sublety and contains many of my personal favorites.This is my #1 pick for taking it along with a deck of cards, which coincidently I will be doing next week.
Rennie

I can't wait for it to arrive Rennie. A lot of members have made similar comments to the comments you made. I'm particularly keen on some of his Gilbreath Principle based tricks.

Cheers
Peakey
Tara Hall
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Tara Hall
How about AACFT? Its small and contains GREAT material, nearly all cards.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Hi Peakey,
When the Trost book arrives here are a few of my favorites,
Intuition - page 161
Matched Picture Cards - page 49
Reset - page 172
Seven Card Draw Prediction - page 123
Subtle Location ( Gilbreath principle )- page 137

This book is actually loaded with neat stuff, I have many books on magic and as I said this is at the top of my list.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Quote:
is get some books on ebook on a laptop. there is a site now that sells all kinds of magic ebooks now then you can also watch videos if you have a dvd player on it or if your vids are save to laptop

eBooks are good. But I find reading from a screen is a pain. I tend to printout my stuff on works printers Smile Now I have a massive binder of printed ebooks.
I picked up a .zip file from a mates cd and it had quite a lot of eBooks inside. About 30 magic books. I have most of the actual books and was suprised at how well they have been converted.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Expert at the card table
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Back from my trip now.

As I said I took Expert at the card table. I also took Duffies Card Compulsions as well. Managed to pass a good few hours with these doing a good mixture of classic stuff I know from erdnase and stuff I don't from Duffie.

Some good suggestions here, especially liked the ebook idea.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I'll go with Modern Coin Magic,
The Art of Magic,Expert Card Technique or Practical Mental Magic. Smile
Andre
RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
I would agree with Nick Trost's book. It's great!

Would also consider any of Simon Aronson's books, he stretches the mind, and if you want something new how about Seventh Heaven by Lewis Jones. You will find this not only a good read but also the source of some brilliant ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Books for travelling light (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL