The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Custom coin workers, where are you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
I want to buy a custom coin, but the only custom coin worker I know on this forum is Todd Lassen. Seeing how the great Nate Kranzo loves his work, (which is enough proof for me!) I emailed him just now. However, my coin request is quite unique so I'd like to get some estimates from some other custom coin workers from this Forum just to make sure I can get a good deal.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

-Peter

P.S. THANK YOU!
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
The big three are;
Todd Lassen todd@toddlassen.com
Jamie Schoolcraft jschoolcraft@sbcglobal.net
Roy Kueppers roy@roykueppers.com

All three have devout fans. From what I know all three are VERY busy in their shops and don't spend much time at any of the forums. By the way, they all charge differently, based on their own unique processes, and I can't imagine any of them are interested in competing on price.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
Todd Lassen informed me that he is on vacation July 7 until July 23.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Jamie is out too until 18th.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Everyone needs a break now and then... with Todd's workload (and backload), I'm not surprised that he's taking a little R&R time.

Anything worth having is worth working for, or in this case, worth waiting for Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Todd is in China, where a huge crowd of magicians are eagerly awaiting his arrival with his coin gaffs.

In my experience, Todd is the guy to go to for custom, imaginative, and unusual coin items. He makes lots of secret gaffs for top coin guys, to their specifications, as well as the shells and flippers available from other makers, plus all kinds of sets made with exotic and interesting coins (CSB, etc.).

Todd has been making gaffed coins for years -- not to mention his long time as a general machinest before that -- and his depth of experience shows in his products.

Cheers,
Jerry
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Guess I'm in the minority here.
Had I known that ordering a half dollar shell set from Todd would mean waiting two months or more...I would have probably ordered elsewhere.
Granted that was my first experience ordering a custom gaff and I never asked how long it would take.
I did talk with him by phone and even indicated I would paypal immediately to get it quicker....(That would have been a good time for him to tell me that it would not make a difference)
There is also no communication unless in response to an inquiry and even then no estimate given to time of completion other than A.S.A.P.
I have read nothing but praise for Todd's work and hopefully my wait will be worth it in the end.
Nick
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
A special order I just made from Todd came in two weeks.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
I'm with you, Aperazor, on the frustartion around unexpectedly long waiting times.

Something to keep in mind about waiting times with these guys is that, since they're working with machinery which they use for several different projects, and which requires precise, entensive set-up times, they will try to make a bunch of similar products at a time, there-by taking advantage of a set-up they've already done. This might mean that your order arrives while the machines are already set-up to do that type of work, or it might mean your order arrives when that particular set-up is days or weeks away. Multiples of standard items may be made ahead of time so that they can be shipped as soon as future orders are received.

This doesn't explain unannounced waiting times, but it does help to explain why some orders take longer than identical orders placed at a different time, or longer than identical orders placed with another craftsman.
Dan McLean Jr
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Todd told me, the very first time he and I spoke, that wait times varied for the exact reason that you cited Dan... being the IT guy for a machine shop myself, I can vouch 100% for that. If we have to break down the machines and reset for a special order, it costs the customer double or sometimes triple the quoted price, nevermind causing the orders that were going to be on time to be late... it only makes sense if you can envision the time and resources that go into setting up production runs in that type of environment.

As for unannounced delays, that would tick me off a bit. However, with Todd, I assume long waits, and am pleasntly surprised with frequent quick turn-arounds. Todd's work is in very heavy international demand... it's no wonder lead times vary greatly.

Personally, I have never waited more than a month for any of the three sets that Todd has made for me, and he's never missed a promise date.

Nick, I'm confident that you will be very happy when you're coins come in... I know you've been waiting for a while now man, but hang in there.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
felipão
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of felipão
They have a website?
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Yep. not sure if posting them here would count as advertising, so I PMed you.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 15:19, Aperazor wrote:
Guess I'm in the minority here.
Had I known that ordering a half dollar shell set from Todd would mean waiting two months or more...I would have probably ordered elsewhere.
Granted that was my first experience ordering a custom gaff and I never asked how long it would take.
I did talk with him by phone and even indicated I would paypal immediately to get it quicker....(That would have been a good time for him to tell me that it would not make a difference)
There is also no communication unless in response to an inquiry and even then no estimate given to time of completion other than A.S.A.P.
I have read nothing but praise for Todd's work and hopefully my wait will be worth it in the end.
Nick

The wait is worth it.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Custom coin workers, where are you? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL