The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Difficult Crowd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
"Outs, Precautions, and Challenges" is one of those little known gems. Price is right also.

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Ask them to help out with the next trick, and when they come up to you to help, spit on them. Just make sure that you can scrap.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
If you're worried only about a spectator handling the cards, just always know what the selected cards were. Forces, peeks, etc. If they start messing with the deck, and you needed a card to be somewhere, go into a different effect, or pick up control of the card a little later down the line.
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
116 Posts

Profile of vago
Control and peeks is the right method for me, I guess, with this type of crowd.

I just need to get my tricks modified a bit.
Also I liked Samuel's approach. Although it seems weird touching other people in such a way.

Maybe I should stick to crowd of women only? Joking.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I am not sure that Samuel meant to touch the spectators, but maybe he did. I find it useful, to do some similar things with the cards. I will have them put their right forefinger on the deck or packet, if they are holding it in their left hands. Other times I will have them sit on the cards, or make a sandwich with their two hands.

Sometimes, I tell them it is to ensure that they are not dropped, sometimes it is to make sure I don't mess with them. Anytime you ask the spectator to hold cards in a funny, but comfortable, way, you will minimize the chance they will mess with the cards.

Sometimes, if I have the spectator hold their right finger on the top of the packet, when I take the packet from them, they will leave their finger in that position for as long as a minute, until I tell them they can relax.
Chris
slydini9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of slydini9
What really ***** me is when you are doing sponge balls, and they put them in their mouth "for a laugh". Then you have to handle it after. This has happened to me three times.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Slydini9,

Soak your sponge balls in syrup of figs. It will give them a good run for their money.

Or VV hot chili.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Slydini:

Which people do you do magic for? Seems like complete morons.

I'd just say: "Give me X$(fill in price) for new balls since you just ruined mine..."

Vago and Chris:

No, I didn't mean that you'd have to touch the spectators. Just show a cage by forming a ball with your two hands, instructing the spectator to cover the deck as in a cage. Smile

CamelotFX:

I am glad that I could help. Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I have to say I've never had a spectators put any of my props in their mouth. If they did, however, I would probably laugh with them, then say, "That's the second worse place that thing has ever been!" It's not insulting, but it puts the laugh back on them.

Difficult spectators are a real challenge. I always recommend Eugene Burger's writing on this. His attitude is harsh on the performer, but very well worth listening to.

My best advice in handling hecklers is either move on or move away. Don't let the heckler waste anyone's time by throwing you off your rhythm. It's not fair to you or to your other spectators. If you can't dismiss them gently, then finish, thank them and move away to another audience.

I realize that sometimes it is not an option to move away, then you need to gently, but firmly remind the heckler not to ruin the show for everyone else. If you can do this with humor, great. But if not, make hard eye contact with the heckler and tell them, "Please. Let's not spoil this for everyone else."

At one show, I had a spectator who wanted to examine everything. It wasn't really a problem, but it was very annoying.

After a bit, I gave him a piece of paper and a pencil. "Could you help me out?", I asked. "Please write down all your objections here and submit them to me after the show so we don't have to spend too much time on them now."

Again, it called gentle attention to the delay the heckler was causing, but did not challenge him. He actually laughed, then put the paper aside and watched the show in peace.

I think the most important thing is not to ever challenge the heckler. Despite what may seem funny at the time, there is nothing to be accomplished by trying to top the heckler. It just becomes an improvised insult war, and you'll end up looking bad.

When you are performing, you are in charge of the situation. You must treat that responsibility with dignity.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Now that was a great responce!
I'll have to Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2004-07-20 21:03, Samuel wrote:
No, I didn't mean that you'd have to touch the spectators. Just show a cage by forming a ball with your two hands, instructing the spectator to cover the deck as in a cage. Smile

CamelotFX:

I am glad that I could help. Smile

I knew you didn't. Great idea.
Chris
briantwig
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of briantwig
Quote:
On 2004-07-17 12:08, vago wrote:
It really happens but what do you do with---

1. people shouting "It's probably a double"
2. people that don't follow instructions.
3. people that, in the middle of a trick, grab the packet from your hand, shuffle it, and gives it back to you (trick is ruined).

Thanks.

1) If people shout out during an effect, at first I try to ignore them and just proceed. If they continue I just move onto the next group.

2) If they don't follow instructions, the effect will fail. There are only a few effects I do where they have to follow instructions while my back is turned. So most of the time I can correct them if they don't listen. And always keep instructions as simple as possible and use laymen terms. I never say look at the card on the face of the pack. I say look at the bottom card, as an example.

3) This has never happened to me. I have had them shuffle the pack at the start of an effect, preventing me from doing what I was going to do when a stack was involved.

However, if they shuffle in the middle of an effect, ruining the planned effect try this: "Well, now that we know the deck is shuffled..." then take the pack back and tell of how "That happened to you one time in the past and the guy shuffled it face up into face down..." and do A Tipsy Trick from RRTCM. Or your favorite effect along those lines.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am not a pro, but I thought Ricky Jay had the best move when he just told the guy, "You, get out the room."
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 09:55, tommy wrote:
I am not a pro but I thought Ricky Jay had the best move when he just told the guy
"You, get out the room."

HAHAHAHA! That IS the best solution...if you have your own off-Broadway show.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
The problem with it is that you offend the spectator, and you let the other spectators see it.
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I do think rude people should be stamped on hard and fast.

I did read a move somewhere which is based on misdirection. I think it was from Card College.

Ask the guy to take a deck of cards and leave the room and give the deck exactly 100 riffle shuffles. Then go on with the show. When he returns say thanks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-07-20 21:10, rtgreen wrote:
I have to say I've never had a spectators put any of my props in their mouth. If they did, however, I would probably laugh with them, then say, "That's the second worse place that thing has ever been!" It's not insulting, but it puts the laugh back on them.

I love that!

Quote:
On 2004-07-20 21:10, rtgreen wrote:
I think the most important thing is not to ever challenge the heckler. Despite what may seem funny at the time, there is nothing to be accomplished by trying to top the heckler. It just becomes an improvised insult war, and you'll end up looking bad.

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the appropriate course of action depends on the particular performer, the particular audience, and the particular venue. If, for example, you perform at comedy clubs or in bars (or anywhere else there's a lot of alcohol being consumed) and you aren't prepared with comebacks (used wisely), you're dead in the water in my opinion.

I disagree with those who say that you should just ignore hecklers because doing otherwise just feeds the hecklers' need for attention. The funny thing is, I've personally seen a very famous magician take hecklers head-on even though he states in his books that you should avoid them.

When I use comebacks, I start gently and when the audience is on my side I ratchet it up.

Something I sometimes use as a last resort after working through the "nicer" comebacks, and then only when the group is with me, is this: I look at the audience, nod towards the spectator, and say, "You know if ***holes were airplanes that guy would be a 747." Believe it or not, I saw that saying on a coffee mug. Use what fits your performing persona and the situation at hand!

Some comics embrace hecklers because their comebacks are part of the show. Did you know that Rodney Dangerfield actually hired a comic to sit in the audience in his shows (nobody knew that the person was a plant)? At a particular point, that person would yell out, "Hey, Rodney, what do you do for a living?", and Rodney retorted, seemingly off the top of his head, "I get dates for your sister." The audience roared because of his apparent ability to think off the top of his head and to shut up a jerk.

Larry D.
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
116 Posts

Profile of vago
Briantwig,

Going into the Tipsy Trick is just genius.

Thanks.
cardtricks
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of cardtricks
A lot depends on the situation and venue where you are being heckled.
However has it dawned upon anyone here that it is possible to win over the heckler and make him your biggest booster?
There are ways you know.

Don't fight them. Make them a friend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Difficult Crowd (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL