The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Breakaway Wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Can someone point me to the best comedy breakaway wand. I had one a long time ago made of plastic that had a gimmick you would palm off when handing to the spec/child to help. Wasn't all that fond of it.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I use a cheap 7 dollar wand. I don't use the gimmick however. I just use my thumb to hold the wand tight...then when they grab it...it falls apart.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Ah, ok. I thought after all these years there might be some type of newer comedy wand available.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
There may be, but I have not seen it. Sorry!
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
In my opinion the wand is obsolete Smile
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Obsolete?, Your opinion, but I suggest you try having one on hand with a purpose. Excellent for the cups and balls, a running gag, mystery. At some point , depending my mood or spec's mood I introduce at all of my performances.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Yea, but we're not in the 1920's. this is 2004.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Mattisdx, you couldn't be more wrong.

Sorry, but it is true.

This wand gets more laughs than most effects out there. And that is what matters.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-08-02 00:32, mattisdx wrote:
Yea, but we're not in the 1920's. this is 2004.

By this logic, cards are obsolete, coins are obsolete, tables are obsolete.

Wands are a never-dying symbol of the magician's power. Look at how much mileage J.K. Rowling gets from wands in the Harry Potter series. Magicians have wands. It's one of our tools. It's the magician's equivalent of a wrench, a saw or a hammer.

And a nice flourish with a wand is a delight to the eye.

Regarding the breakaway wand -- yes, it's been done to death. BUT most four and five year olds have never seen one. And they are the ones who get a big charge out of them. And when you get to be my age, you will find that your contemporaries identify with it in an entirely different way. Smile

A wand is only as effective as the magician who wields it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well said Bill.

I agree completely. I perform it on my younger audiences, and they love it!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love the use of a wand. I have several depending on the routine.

Using it to hit goofy spectators is one thing I do a lot... Smile

GO DODGERS
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Go Colt '45's, Go Oilers!

Now where did I put that pair of spats?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Its the biggest laugh in my kids show.
kbfnyf
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of kbfnyf
I agree...It is still a great prop.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2004-07-29 16:03, RandyM wrote:
Ah, ok. I thought after all these years there might be some type of newer comedy wand available.

As in new type of break-away or comedy wand in general?
The only innovation in the break-away is to do away with the gimmick piece. (Although I suppose if you had a gimmick one you could throw it in the air before ditching gimmick then carry on as normal to make it bit more intriuging, however it seems a lot of effort to go to when it works very well without the extra piece anyhow).
In terms of comedy wands, in general, there are (rather ironically) more comedy wands than you could wave a stick at.
Off the top of my head: Bendy Wands (various) , Fishing pole wand, Windmill wand, Silly Billy's stetchy wand, Multiplying wands,pop-away wand...there's loads more that I can't remember right now too.
George
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hank Lee used to sell a more expensive break-away-wand. As I recall it was around thirty bucks and advertised as better quality. I never bought it so I really don't know anything more about it. I would like to see a review of this wand.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
There are many types of comedy magic wands all of wich are useful if you use them properly ....and the best of these is still the break away wand.To say that it is obsolete is nonsense. Maybe you do not do children's shows ,if you do comedy and you know how to act then you can use it in your adult show and just see you will get an even bigger laugh.!!!!What are you going to use instead to update your show to the twenty first century.....a break away computer?????
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
You can find them on eBay really cheap. I saw one for 99 cents one time. The most expensive one was about 5 bucks. It is worth having on hand for the youngsters. They love em'!

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I work for laymen not magicians. The classics of magic are still the working because they were and are still very good entertainment. That is what we should be about.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-08-05 04:31, Bill Palmer wrote:
A wand is only as effective as the magician who wields it.

Now, that is a great line Bill. You get my vote for quote of the year!!!

your pal,

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Breakaway Wand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL