The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Books and Videos OK...Gimmics?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frostgale
View Profile
New user
Greece
73 Posts

Profile of Frostgale
Hi,
My name I Alex and I restarted magic after an absence of about 4-5 years.
In your oppinion which of gimmics are essential for close up -street?

I 've been reading around ellusionist-penguin and all of the tricks in their oppinion are "must haves".

So I need some oppinions from you fellows

Thanks in advance

Alex
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For street or close-up the only gimmick I use is a copper-silver coin, and a shell.

Vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Must haves include motivation, patience, some ability to read, and the determination to make magic work for other people.

The rest is just specifics which include props, scripts and some character work.

The toys are usually not needed till specific routines and presentations determine that these are the BEST way to get the work done.

You are probably best served by a reading of the Robert-Houdin book, and then perhaps the Downs book.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The only gimmicks I use are jumbo coins (if you can call them a gimmick), 2 copper/ 1 silver gimmick, and a copper/sivler gimmick.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I'd stay away from gimmicks and learn how to make miracles happen without using them as a sort of crutch Smile
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Yeah some of the best trick just use regular cards or regular coins....dont buy just gimmicks!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I'd stay away from gimmicks and learn how to make miracles happen without using them as a sort of crutch.

Gimmicks combined with good sleight of hand can be devastating in the right hands!

Mike
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
I'd stick to doing all coin magic by means of real magic.

But since that is beyond the abilities of most mortal humans, any means of appearing to do real magic is just as good as another. Yes, a gimmick coin is fake. Hiding a coin behind your hand or in your sleeve is fake, too.

Jonathan was correct... Determine the effect you want to create, and then develop that effect with whatever tools/toys are available to serve the purpose. Those tools may be gimmick coins; they may be deft maneuvers. Most experienced performers use a combination of both.

Those who advise using one method over another often forget that creating the effect is the goal if we are performing for other people. The method, as long as it gets the job done, is completely insignificant.

Performing for our own gratification is another subject altogether. Smile

Greg
Frostgale
View Profile
New user
Greece
73 Posts

Profile of Frostgale
Thanx fellows ,i'll try.... Smile

Alex
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
The pyro perception, is a good one!
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I you've checked out ellusionist-penguin,
I suggest you get
Coins for Dishonest Abe by Gregory Wilson from penguin
and
Impossible Cap Thru Bottle from ellusionist.

THese are so far the best from each site.. Smile
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
I used to use gimmicks a lot but I gradually moved away from them and I'm happier using sleights, having been inspired by Gregory Wilson's "On The Spot" originally and Manuel Muerte's "Done by Misdirection" more recently.

A thumb tip, used well, is probably the best gimmick out there IMO.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Pyro perception is good if you deal with cards. If you deal with rubberbands then I suggest you pick up a manuscript called Linked 4 Life. It is the best ender of a rubberband routine.

have fun in magic! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Books and Videos OK...Gimmics?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL