The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need a wizard name for shows.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I do Harry Potter themed shows and I am Prof. Tickenus P. Bumbledumb, The new defense against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts. Recently I have had alot of request for Lord of the Rings type shows. I do not look like Gandolf (SP) but I do need a Wizards name. Any suggestions??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You could do the show on your knees like Tim Conway and call yourself GanDorf.

Sorry couldn't resist
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
LOLOLOL Smile Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Well, being gandAlf himself, (mithrandir) I must help you here. For a lord of the rings/fantasy type show just use one of the names of the five wizards in common or elvish tounge. I know I{m losing you here, but try these:

ISTARI(wizard) CURUNIR(Saruman) ALATAR,

PALLANDO(names of wizards in common),

ERU LLUVATAR(one god) ELBERETH(woman god)

pm me for more names, but usually only the most die hard LOTR fans can name the five wizards in normal speech and even I do not know Alatar and Pallando and Radagast{s elvish names. Please don{t use mithrandir, though, cause thats me!! Also maybe we could talk about LOTR routines because I am on a quest for a more epic brand of magic.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Marvoulus ALATAR it is!
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
For the Tolkien fans there's also Radaghast (roughly Travelling Spirit or Riding Ghost in Old English) who had an affinity for birds and the animals of the woodlands and naturally travelled. If you tend to use animals and travel - maybe that's you. Gandalf meant Elf of the Wand I think - so, if you use something similar, wand tricks are probably a good idea as you might strike the odd adult who's a Tolkien fan in the audience and they will probably get a buzz if you do something in keeping with the name.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I didn{t say Radagast or Gandalf on purpose because nearly everyone knows who they are, so it seems like you are just using a LOTR character for sure. Maybe that is what you are trying to accomplish, but it would be more original to try something more subtle.

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
Penna Anna Muriel
Silvren Aglar Elanath
Gilthoniel A Elbereth!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Mithrandir,

>I didn{t say Radagast or Gandalf on purpose because nearly everyone knows who they are,

I agree with you on an oblique approach, but it can't be too oblique. Also, the names need to be changed somewhat or you'll be in litigation city. However, you'll still need a name that's recognisably similar and I don't know if using one the languages and their broad terms for wizard or god will do it (of course, many would probably disagree). My other point was that depending on the name and how recognisable it is, you'll probably get requests for certain types of magic. If your name is to some extent recognisably LOTR, you may
wish to capitalise on that and do certain types of tricks (Note that beyond a certain point name may well become, er, tacky).

Anyway, this is a decision that WR will have to make...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need a wizard name for shows.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL