We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Optical Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rrowell25
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rrowell25
I do it the way Daryl does on his ENCY of card sleights, vol 2 and it is great!
Does anyone have tips on making this a stronger shuffle? I really like this shuffle and heard that if you do it with the face of the deck towards the spectators it is even stonger. There is one major problem with doing it with the faces towards the spectator (anyone who knows this shuffle will know what I am talking about). I am having trouble hiding the descrepancy when doing it with the faces towards the spectator.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1336 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Do it while looking at and talking to the audience. Pay no attention to the shuffle. It's unlikely, that anyone will notice a discrepancy.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
642 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Why should it be stronger with the faces towards the spectators?!
rrowell25
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rrowell25
Because the spectator sees different faces of the cards during the "Chop." But again, there is that discrpancy to deal with....how do you hide the bottom card? It is my understanding that it is suppose to add a visual aid to the shuffle. I read somewhere that Daryl mentioned it in one of his lecutures that he does it this way...but he did not mention or show it on the video.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
The optical shuffle, in my oppinion, is like any other false shuffle, in the sense that this is not something that you want to call attention to, but rather do cassually, as you would any other type of shuffle. This reinforces the idea that nothing special is happening, as opposed to saying "look! I am shuffling the deck and nothing funny or unusual is happening!".
With that in mind, it does not really matter which way the cards are facing. If you are talking to the spectators (and looking at them in the eyes... as opposed to staring at your deck), They most probably wont look at the deck either, only perceive by the corner of their eye the motion of your hands shuffling the cards.. and you will have performed a wonderful false shuffle without anyone noticing anything wrong. Wich, by the way, is the whole idea behind the false shuffle..

Have a good day!
rrowell25
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rrowell25
You are right. I guess I was just looking for a way to prove I was shuffling the cards and that should not be necessary if my presentation is done correct.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1155 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Whilst it is nice to "show off" with differnt shuffles, I feel that false shuffles should look like a shuffle that a normal punter would do.

It is about entertaining them and not a "see how clever I am".

Just my POV.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Optical Shuffle (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.180567 seconds, requiring 26 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [1] [9] [2] [6] [6] [4] [5]