The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HN Magic Review 104: Cut and Restored Credit Card - Mark Leveridge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Magic Review 104: Cut and Restored Credit Card - Mark Leveridge

AD:

The magician displays a small leather wallet inside which is one of his credit cards.

He explains he would like to show something with a similar card but does not want to use his own. So saying the card is returned to the wallet which is slipped back into his pocket.

Having borrowed a suitable card, the magician slips it into a pay envelope, puts the spectator’s initials on the envelope flap and then seals the card inside.
Brandishing a pair of scissors, he proceeds to cut the envelope - and therefore the spectator’s card - completely in half! With total confidence the magician claims the card will restore itself, despite the fact the envelope is clearly in two separate pieces.

Placing the two sections together, he cuts off the end of the envelope, reaches inside and pulls out - HALF A CREDIT CARD!

After much comic by-play, the halves are put away and the performer removes the small wallet he showed at the beginning to offer his own card in exchange.
However, to the surprise of all, the performer’s card has vanished and the spectator’s TOTALLY RESTORED CARD is found inside instead! The spectator removes his card himself to confirm it is indeed his.

Very easy to do, no sleights, no palming, no fuss - highly practical.

REVIEW:

I would be hard pressed to name 10 effects with credit cards – probably because people are always a bit reluctant in handing them out.

To perform this effect, you will need to walk around with special wallets, a pair of scissors and gimmicked envelopes – not something you will do “impromptu” for your friends; it is also awkward to perform in professional table-hopping situations, since the reset can’t be done on the spot. Refills (i.e. envelopes, good for 25 performances) are sold separately.

I thought about routining this one with a few lousy effects I already knew, such as Brad Manuel’s Credit Card Fraud, or Tony Antoniou’s Credit Card Quickie (in the Ammar’s Easy to Master Money Miracles video series) but abandoned the idea immediately...

OVERALL RATING: below average

H.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
There is a great credit card effect by El Duco "Credit Express" that I purchased about 7 years ago. Hopefully he still still carries it.
"A credit card is borrowed from a spec, placed under a handkerchief held by the spec. Credit card vanishes and handkerchief is shown empty. With an eppty hand you reach inside your jacket and remove your wallet. The credit card is inside one of several plastic see through holders for photographs!" No palmming, a briliant method and very easy to do.
Gerard
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1216 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Actually, I have used Mark's credit card effect many times and in the right situation, it is an amazing effect that gets to the audience because the object restored is a very common one. Mark put this out over 10 years ago, at a time when not many effects utilized credit cards. he has a few other effects using credit cards - all of which are great! Check his website http://www.markleveridge.co.uk

He does mention the limitations to performing this effect on his website and emphasizes that it is for use in a more formal close-up situation rather than walkaround.

Mark is a very fair and reputable british dealer who provides sterling service. I have bought almost all his effects and have found them to be as he has fairly advertised. So I think to give tis product a below-average rating solely because it doesn't suit this member's specific performing venue is unfair to Mr. leveridge.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1216 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Besides, why does Mr. Nerzof say taht he wants to include this effect with some other "lousy card effects"? Is this implying that Mark's effect be included in his categorization of 'lousy card effects'? Or that he is interested in producing a 'lousy card effect' act? Either way, it sounds rather funny to me!

BTW, I'm not soley a Leveridge Magic buyer; I purchase magic from a variety of dealers depending on what effect I'm looking for and who provided the service I require. I thank all members of this forum whose sage advice has led to me making informed purchases. Also, I don't mean to offend Mr. Nerzof...he is entitled to his views as I am...just be fair to the inventor of the effect that is all.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Magicbern, thanks for your comments.

I tried to routine the credit cards effects I knew at the time (the restaurant owner specifically asked for it), but abandoned the task because the effects themselves were lousy after all...

The “below average” rating is also justified by the props you have to carry around. When I first bought this item from a US dealer (in the early nineties) the ad was quite deceptive, and no mention was made of the envelopes; on the other hand, we certainly have to appreciate the honest ads posted on Mr. Leveridge’s website.

H.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1216 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Mr. Nerzof, thanks for your reply to my post regarding Mr. Leveridge's trick. You are a very open-minded member who can accept other magician's views! I partially agree that some of Mr. Leveridge's effects are not totally practical in walkabout situations but it seems to fit his performing venues (see his DVD the Strolling Magician). However, the ad copy on his websites do let buyers know what venues are best suited. If in doubt, email him...he always gives speedy and honest replies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HN Magic Review 104: Cut and Restored Credit Card - Mark Leveridge (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 3.72 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL