The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ring and Thimble sleights question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Can a thimble routine be done with a ring routine? Both can be worn in the fingers so I could just ask if can a thimble routine be done on a ring?
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi,
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. But if you are asking if you can adapt thimble manipulation moves to work with a ring, the answer is "of course"!
Some moves will work better than others and some rings will work better than others but sounds like a viable and clever idea to me. Good luck with it!
-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

That's what I'm asking.
I'm sorry if it was not so clear.
Thanks for the reply. Any video where I can learn thimble routines?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Johnny "Ace" Palmer has a quick ring routine he uses while talking about magic. It's quick, takes only a second, and it fits perfectly with his "patter" (I hate using that word!)

Although the techniques can be similar, thimble manipulation would be a bit more difficult with a ring as usually a ring will vanish or reappear completely on the finger instead of just the tips as in thimbles. Also, there's only one ring where there can be many more thimbles so little of what is written about thimbles will translate well to a ring.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hey DA,

I've done thimble moves with rings on more than one occasion.

There is a limit on what you can do. Rings don't nest and you can't use rings as miniature cups.

Most of the thimble vanishes are possible w/ rings.

Coin sleights work well with rings.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Jeff McBrides ' world class manipulation' dvd's

Has loads of great stuff!
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

The routines I'm after with a ring routine from a thimble are mainly vanishes, transpositions and reproductions in the hands. I've tried using coin routines with coins but I didn't work well for me.
I'm also after the video of Gregory Wilson called Ring Leader but it seems to be out of stock at most online stores that's why I turned to thimble magic.
Jeff McBride is no doubt good in manipulations. I just don't know if he teaches those moves with vanishes, transpositions and reproductions.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
McBride teaches vanishes, productions and colour changes with thimbles.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I found a quick clip of Johnny "Ace" Palmer's ring move at http://www.magicsmith.com/detail.aspx?ID=67

It's about 15 seconds into the intro.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There's an entire routine done with rings in the place of thimbles, including productions, vanishes and changes, in Dr. Sawa's book, written by Kaufman. Check with the magicians in Japan, if you can, they should know it.

Speaking of, Shimada also does a quick bit with a ring, I think he teaches it on one of the Stevens' videos. It seems to be the basis for the Palmer routine.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Thanks Curtis. Smile I'd better start making magician friends.. I never leave the US base so I never get to mingle with our Japanese friends. I'll soon get out there. User Hideo Kato says that Tokyo is full of illusionists and street strollers. I'm visiting it in the weekend.. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ring and Thimble sleights question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL