The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » The Amazing Maize Maze (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
On Bank Holiday Monday, weather permitting, we're planning to visit one of the maize mazes in Norfolk. I seem to have discovered these rather late in the day as a visitor attraction even though they grow them yearly from early summer to mid-September.

I was curious as to whether anyone had any knowledge of other natural mazes that are seasonal rather than being a permenant fixture, particularly in countries other than the UK.

Apparently this one does supply an escape route if you get stuck, but am I correct in thinking if you hug the left wall you'll eventually reach the centre, or does that depend on the type of maze?
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 11:26, dr chutney wrote:
.....but am I correct in thinking if you hug the left wall you'll eventually reach the centre, or does that depend on the type of maze?

If you continuously hug the left wall or continuously hug the right wall from the word go, you'll eventually come out of the maze. Whether or not that strategy takes you via the centre depends on whether the walls that define the centre are connected to the walls at the entrance.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I have to say we didn't get very far. Typical of a normal Bank Holiday for this country the heavens opened about five minutes into the maze and it chucked it down. Sadly for us we also failed miserably at retracing our steps and couldn't find the exit. Any sort of strategy went right out the window.

By the time we emerged we were soaked. However, they have a glass making area on site so we dried off by the heat from the furnaces as they demonstrated various glass making and glass blowing techniques.

As to the maze I guess we'll try again next year as it's due to be harvested any day now. They create a different pattern each year ( this year was on a theme of Jack And The Beanstalk ), and from the air it looks more like a crop circle than conventional maze. Very long corridors and lots of swirls, so I'd have to study their map again to see if wall hugging would work. It's a very large field and I'm sure we would have spent a long time finding our way to the centre and back. Don't you love this summer.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 11:26, dr chutney wrote:

I was curious as to whether anyone had any knowledge of other natural mazes that are seasonal rather than being a permenant fixture, particularly in countries other than the UK.

These are quite common in farming communities in the US around Hallowe'en. Some of them make shapes when seen from the air - one not too far away from me outlines a barn and silo.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Theres one down here in Cornwall, near Callington. I've never thought of it before, but I might go along and give it a try, sounds good fun.
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Wow, that does sound good, A trip to Norfolk is now on the cards! Are there any good ones in Kent..?

Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » The Amazing Maize Maze (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL