The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cube-A-Libra (Bewildering Blocks) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher
View Profile
Elite user
462 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am considering purchasing this from Hocus-Pocus. Has anyone bought one? I would like to know the quality of the construction. I saw a photo of Cube-A-Libra from another dealer and the blocks looked really cheap and flimsy. I travel a lot (daily) with my props and need to make sure that this version from Hocus-Pocus is well constructed.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18254 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Contact Mark Burger at his shop in San Francisco, his dad used to have the best ones ever made. I think Stevens sells a version made by Harries in Sweden.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1871 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
If you ever get a chance, watch Bob Sheets perfrom Cube-A-Libra. He has an awesome presentation.

I was dying to get one after seeing him kill an audience of well posted magicians with it.

Mike
JL608
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of JL608
Joe Stevens used to sell a German (I believe) import which was beautifully made. They came in two sizes. The last I checked he didn't have them in stock and wasn't sure if he'd be getting them again. Most dealers now carry the Harries made blocks, which in my opinion, are inferior in construction.
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
372 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
I owned a set manufactured by Harries in Sweden. I got it through Hank Lee's. (why I had it is a long story)... Anyway I sold it. But it was excellent quality. It's a very very good routine. It's a complex routine. Each step must be followed because it builds. If you miss any step you have no outs and are screwed. But that is easily overcome with practice. If Parlour or stage is your type of magic this is definitley something that I've not seen anyone else doing. Little quirky things about it to overcome like sometimes the slides might stick when they're supposed to slide... again overcome with practice. But overall it's high quality powerful magic. Especially the end when the spectator is allowed to choose the order and it still matches. Very cool.

Eric
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18254 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I understand Sheets kills with it, but in my early days there was a guy in San Francisco, Jan Ballan, who had the best routine I had ever seen like it.

Buma used to sell the original sets, called Cube A Libre. Stevens has a newer version with LESS blocks, that I would GUESS might be easier to follow, both for performer and the audience.

There is a book, German, with the details of the trick, I believe by Conradi-Hoerster.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
I just received my Bewildring Bloks this weekend. I've been toying with it, like it this far. Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

The 'gimmicks'. I've heard feedback that they're not well made and flimsy. Well, you can't throw them aroud and be careless with them, but the'll be fine.

From my limited experimentatioin this weekend, the only thing that I don't particularly care for are the vinyl graphics that are on the tube. Glitter vinyl and fake marble...ug.

So, I chose some plain vinyl that looks less like a magic prop. I thought the days of spray painted dragons and unkown chineese characters on magic props was over.

What I would like to open up is a presentation idea(s) for this piece. I'm not interested in a "now I take these blocks and stack them 6.5.4.3.2.1...and look! They're in the same order...big deal right...any other suggestions.

I thought of routining a story about how my spouse and I are opposite and doing arranging things in different ways, then she arranges them to how 'she' wants them...etc...

Thanks!
Stuart
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4098 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
It was invented by Conradi. The set made by Buma is wooden and very well made (no vinyl letters).
NEW: Magica Analytica www.barnowskymagic.com

The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
eb02
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi Christopher

I have a Bewildering Blocks from Harries magic from Sweden for sale.
I got it on last FISM and never used it.

PM if you are interesting.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=76
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2755 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Jay Leslie has a new version out where the cubes are hollow thereby making the cubes weigh less than 50% of the normal wieght of the solid cubes. Hocus POcus is selling them and Jay LEslie's site is houseofenchantment.com

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
southern california
7273 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
StuBek
The post is asking about the set of blocks from Hocus Pocus. Your reply states that you just purchased a set and the quality leaves much to be desired.

People are asking about the quality of Jay Leslie's set from Hocus Pocus. You can not pessibly own a Jay Leslie set and be in the position to review the Jay Leslie set because it has not been distributed yet.
I should know..... I'm still making them.

Jay Leslie
Whatever you did to make it this way is obviously how it happened! JL

Performance www.jayleslie.com

Manufacturing www.TheHouseOfEnchantment.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
southern california
7273 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
After reviewing the posts I see where I've made a mistake. The posts, up to a certain point were made in 04. the last two posts were made in 07.

I apologize for assuming that StuBec confused my version of the Cube A Libre with the one he describes. It's possible that three years ago he did buy a version with draggons from Hocus Pocus.

The search engine placed both myself and Micheal on an old page but we read it as if it was new.

Even so, The set I'm making today does have hollow blocks and the tube has inset decorations. The sample set I performed at several shows, worked very well.

Jay Leslie

emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2615 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Bob Sheets really does kill with this. Saw it at the magi-fest a few years back and he brought the house down. It's definitely something different.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2755 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Jay Leslie has made several innovative changes to this effect. One of them is that the cubes are hollow making them very easy to pick up. Jay has also made other modifications which make it much easier to use and to perform with. I have the new Harries' version. While the new Harris' version is an improvement over the older Harries' version, I will still be getting this one by Jay due to the modifications as well as to the fact that Jay includes a performance and instructional dvd. The instructions provided by Harries' is certainly sufficient but can be confusing and difficult to master due to the very nature of the effect.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2121 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've heard great things about Bob Sheet's Cube A Libre routine, too. Unfortunately, I've never seen him do it in person.

I wish someone made a high quality close-up version of this.

Robert
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2755 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Robert,

That is a terrific suggestion. I think it would make a great close-up trick. However, I do not know how difficult it would be to make the blocks and the s....s.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6894 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob Sheets was made by a hobbyist doctor in Ohio. I just saw him at IBM. He is way behind in orders. I have not gotten my set yet. I joked with him that since I had sent him so many orders that I should be moving up the list faster.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1249 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 08:34, hugmagic wrote:

Bob Sheets was made by a hobbyist doctor in Ohio.

Don't you mean "delivered by"?

And really, was that a good time to use a "hobbyist"?
"If heat rises, then heaven might be hotter than hell..." - Steven Wright
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1301 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I bought and sold mine a week later.I think it was the Harries make.
The cubes were made from card board. You will find that Jay Leslie version will be well made from plastic.
Richard.
shpf100
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of shpf100
Ouch the Harries version is expensive-I would expect a lot more than cardboard for that kind of money. Sounds like if you're interested in this effect Jay's version is the one to wait for a little more than the Harries version, but better made and comes with dvd instruction, and a case.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
738 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I wouldn't touch the Harries version with your ten foot pole. I've seen it and in my opinion it's garbage.

A friend of mine bought it a few years ago and the tubes started to loosen up a very short time later. Soon after that they became so loose and sloppy he gave up on the trick and put it on the shelf.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Years ago Harold Voit used to sell a very nice close-up version. I believe it was made by Eckhart Boettcher and I'm sure I just completely butchered his name, but he made many very nice things for Harold in Munich, Germany. You might contact Harold as he may still sell them through his Zaubercentrale Munchen. Or, contact Joe Stevens who used to import a lot of Voit's stuff.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
738 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I have the set made for Harold Voit. I'm not sure if it's classified as close-up or not? This set has 2" blocks and was called "club" or "parlor" size at the time of purchase.

It is a very nice set and well made. It came with a video including two performances and instructions for the routine by Dr. Peter Kersten.

Joe Stevens has several of the stage size sets on the way to him from Harold Voit. I'm not sure if the smaller size is available or not.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6894 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Hobbyist is the correct term. He makes his living as a doctor but he is passionate about the magic. He does very good work. He is an ob/gyn so I guess you could say he "Delivered" the prop but most doctors are not involved in the conception process with their patients.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
southern california
7273 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes, I'm in the shop working but I just wanted to address a few issues for the in-crowd. The tube I'm making is strong enough to stand on. The gimmicks are not cardboard but have enough flex that you can hold them and the blocks without having to put your hand under, which in my opinion looks natural.

Back to work.

And remember, Richard will be turning off his PM's

Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
738 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
In talking with Jay a few days ago about his set, he really does have some excellent features that others may not have.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
southern california
7273 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thank you Doug.

There is a reason I have 20,000 samples junking up the shop (mostly inherited from Jim Swoger) I study the atributes of other effects and apply them to what's currently on the drawing board. In many cases what I do is not copying at all but improving by modifying. Example: not advertised is how the hole (if you don't know what I'm discussing Email me) is hidden. My trim has a zig zag pattern and the rise and fall (or land and valley) of the pattern is a perfect place to incorporate it. The use of a CNC machine aso allowed me to make the shape of the hole out-of-round which makes what you have to do, more comfortable. Someone using home equipment or even professionsl shop equipment may not have this ability or inclination to spend the extra design time on the zig zag pattern and hole but I believe it was necessary and that's the way I would like to see the product made if I was buying it from myself. (Not really practical... but it could be a write off.)

I'm going to refrain from talking about this product any more (unless people have questions)and let the chips fall where they may.

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2121 Posts

Profile of Robert M
FYI - Here's the response I got from Stevens Magic after inquiring about the Voit model:

"We have the new Voit that is incredible. We took it to Dallas SAM and sold 3 - and two of the clients already have one but this is FAR and away the most superior model they have ever seen. It's new and improved.

This is for parlor and stage. The price will be: $425.00.

It features a completely new mechanism and it's going to be a winner. It is not on our site yet and won't be for about two weeks as we have sold out of the small first order we got. More are coming."

Robert
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2755 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2007-07-12 12:48, Robert M wrote:
FYI - Here's the response I got from Stevens Magic after inquiring about the Voit model:

"We have the new Voit that is incredible. We took it to Dallas SAM and sold 3 - and two of the clients already have one but this is FAR and away the most superior model they have ever seen. It's new and improved.

This is for parlor and stage. The price will be: $425.00.

It features a completely new mechanism and it's going to be a winner. It is not on our site yet and won't be for about two weeks as we have sold out of the small first order we got. More are coming."

Robert

"Mechanisms" of any sought tend to break, jam or malfunction at the worst times. Harries' version has a terrific "mechanism" in the back of the tube but it is not 100% and can break. A hole in a tube, as is made by Jay Leslie, can not break, jam or malfucntion. Perhaps using a finger is not as flashy as using a mechanism but it is fail safe and you have complete control which is most important durign a real live performance. I am not doubting the quality or craftsmanship of the Voit model but I am getting Jay LEslie's version to perform with.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
When I was in Munich MANY years ago, Harold showed me the close-up set. The blocks were only about 1" cubed or less. It was tiny, specifically for close-up. He also had the parlor/stage set at that time. I suspect the close-up set simply got discontinued. They were wood and black and white. It had a mechanism for the required work, rather than just a thumb hole, because the tiny size would not make the usual approach practical. Now, I wish I had bought one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cube-A-Libra (Bewildering Blocks) (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.269301 seconds, requiring 104 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [1] [4] [1] [8] [7] [2]