The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Late starters » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Hi Derren

It's well known that you got into magic relatively late in life. I was wondering if you consider that an advantage or a hinderance?

Personally I didn't start learning and performing magic and metalism until well into my twenties. At first I thought this was going to be a huge disadvantage, until I went to my first convention and sat through the close up competition.

After the seventy third teenager demonstrated yet another identical way to find four aces and move some coins around the table I was very grateful I'd spent my formative years developing personality rather than card skills.
DerrenBrown
View Profile
V.I.P.
109 Posts

Profile of DerrenBrown
Yup. I went to a convention a couple of years ago with a girl who wasn't a magician. We watched some of the competition and some of the close-up performers. She enjoyed some of it, but made me laugh by sincerely asking, "So is the idea that everyone has to do the trick where you make the four coins collect under the one card and there's a prize for the person who does it best?"

Yes, I'm quite pleased I came into it late. I think it's easier to think originally if you haven't been in magic clubs since the age of 8. However, that's not going to be the case for a keen hobbyist: for him/her, it would make absolute sense to go down the club route and hang around other magicians as much as possible. That's fine too.

It's certainly not the case that you'll be better at magic for having done it for longer. It doesn't take long to do it well if you have it in you.

Thanks,
db
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Late starters » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL