The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2004 entrée: David Parr » » A few details about David Parr... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
David Parr is an actor, director, author and magician who has been fascinated by the strange and mysterious since childhood. When not performing magic for corporate events and private parties, David devotes his time to theatrical endeavors. These generally share two important qualities: a distinctly offbeat sensibility and an emphasis on history or literature.

Projects have included directing Swoop, a surrealist take on Bram Stoker’s Dracula; appearing in Pirandello’s classic play about madness and deception, Henry IV; and writing and directing a re-creation of a Victorian-era funeral for Final Respects, a citywide exhibition featured in the Chicago Tribune.

Around Halloween, David can be found haunting stately old mansions with original shows such as Visions of Poe, an interactive journey into the tales and poems of Edgar Allan Poe, and Haunting History, a guided tour of the shadowy realm where history meets myth and folklore.

Among magicians, David Parr is best known for his dramatic performing style and his writing and teaching skills. In addition to providing hands-on instruction and guidance to magicians at lecture appearances across the United States, David was among the organizers of Jeff McBride’s Mystery School and was the designer-editor of the Mystery School newsletter. Many magicians recognize David from his appearances on Eugene Burger’s Gourmet Close-up and Magical Voyages videos or from his 1990s video review column in Genii magazine.

David’s thought-provoking writings have been featured in The Linking Ring, The Magic Menu and Genii, as well as publications in Germany, France, Australia, and Sweden. David’s first book for magicians, Brain Food, was published in 1998 by Hermetic Press. Brain Food went on to become a magical bestseller and continues to appear on lists of “must read” magic books.

David’s latest book is The Magic Mirror, co-written with Dr. Robert E. Neale, former Professor of Psychology and Religion at Union Theological Seminary in New York. David currently writes book reviews for Jeff McBride’s e-magazine The Secret Art Journal and is an official reviewer for the MyLovelyAssistant.com Web site. He resides in Chicago, Illinois, with his dear partner Dawn.

Here’s what magicians are saying about The Magic Mirror: “Extremely well written. This is a fascinating book.” — Paul Cummins, Genii Magazine

You will be challenged, stimulated, even inspired. To say that there are magical gems here is oversimplification. Performing these effects may change the way your magic is perceived by others. Highly recommended to all who feel that magic is important in their lives and want to make it important to others.” — Phil Willmarth, The Linking Ring

Mr. Parr has done his job well. The Magic Mirror is an accessible and stimulating text. It will get you to think in new areas. Pick up a copy of The Magic Mirror. Think about what you read. Apply it.” — Michael Close, Magic Magazine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s what magicians have said about Brain Food: “I wholeheartedly recommend Brain Food to all magicians who are convinced—or want to be convinced—that magic is, indeed, an art form.” — Ariel Frailich, IsawThat.com

I enjoyed Brain Food very much. Mr. Parr writes clearly and intelligently, and what he has to say will make you think.” — Michael Close, Magic Magazine

There are both excellent thinking and superb effects here. I recommend the book highly.” — Phil Willmarth, The Linking Ring

I read the book twice in the same night and I’m reading it again! The real value of the book is in the author’s thinking, his approach to magic. I just loved it! By the way, did I say I recommend Brain Food?” —George Robinson, Viking Manufacturing
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2004 entrée: David Parr » » A few details about David Parr... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL