The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Real info about hypnotism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
Hi,

I have several questions.

1. Can it be performed in a very nice way without being dramatic?

2. Are there experiment that get the subject himself interested and amused?

3. Have you some nice examples to tell me?

4. In order to start, is the New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism all I need?

5. It is possible to perform and to became a good stage hypnotist without the supervision of an expert?

Thanks a lot. These are very important questions for me. Smile
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism covers a huge amount, but I feel that it lacks a certain amount of theory, and some important and unexpected things that can happen are not covered in it. It certainly is a must to any hypnotist's library, though I advise reading every thing on hypnosis.

I'm professionally trained and was prepared for a lot of things I thought would never happen, and in all that time I have had every unlikely incident I was trained for and more pop up. Also, it is important you check out the laws where you live. In the UK there is 1958 hypnotism act stating you require a licence to practice. I could be wrong on the date, as I don't live in the U.K. On the States I believe it depends on the law of the state you are in.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
Thanks a lot. Please let me know about the other questions. Smile
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi, I am a hypnotist in the UK and back up every step of what HW has said. I would say that making a full time living as a hypnotist in the UK gets more difficult by the year as they are beginning to bring in crazy laws all over the place.

However as far as making the inductions not dramatic, why on earth would you want to do that? You are on stage, you should be taking ownership over your performance space and making things look as dramatic as possible. I would over do an induction rather than under do it, just because its "showbiz".

Just a few thoughts, I hope they help a little,

Kind thoughts,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 14:05, Hypnotic Winter wrote:
I'm professionally trained and was prepaired for a lot of things I thought would never happen and in all that time I have had every unlikely incident I was trained for and more pop up.

Just out of curiosity, HW, would you share a couple of these experiences?

I don't do any hypnosis, but I really would like to hear from someone as experienced as you or Kennedy on this.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Juan D,

I think I would be writing a book. If I had to write all of them, I love the way Mr. Osterlind says on Mind Mysteries, "If you've got interesting stories use them." That's not word for word but close enough.

One thing I think would be very important for people to know is, NEVER, absolutely never leave someone hypnotised when a show is over. In some cases it's harmless, such as after words one of the times I was asked to leave the post hypnotic suggestion in for a game of cards, one of the guy's friend would knock him out and switch the hypnotised subjects cards around and then wake him again.

When I was training I was advised to go and see as many performers as I could. I went o a particular college where one was performing. This particular hypnotist left a girl hypnotised to chase leprechauns when he left. Now you might think this funny and harmless, and it might have stayed that way had she not tried to jump off the second balcony of the buildings library. She was convinced that the leprechaun was on the stone pillar that spanned three floors. It took three students to hold her down. I know as I was one of them.

So long as you always wake them up properly with all post hypnotic suggestions removed, every thing should be OK.

There are lots of other things, but I'm not writing a manual here. Smile

H.W
majhra
View Profile
New user
Australia
61 Posts

Profile of majhra
HW,

From one professional hypnotist to another, it's our job to (at the very least) keep safe those people who amateurs cause problems like you've written above.

What this often means is using the above stories for a purpose, and when given a situation like what you describe, removing the hypnotic suggestions, cleaning up after the event, and hopefully communicating to the performer to find a new business.

Enjoy,

M.
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
I have read the present of a trainer is suggested, but in Italy all that I can see isn't about stage hypnotism, it is about therapeutic hypnotism.

I have also read that I need several people present to make stage hypnotism effective.

So do you think that without a trainer and without a stage, only operating in informal situation with few people, and only reading The New Encyclopedia book of McGill, is it possible to learn and practise hypnotism in an effective way?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
No it isn't and you could land yourself in some trouble..
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Shrink the party pooper..

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Better pooping the party than scaring the crap out of yourself when something happens you can't deal with or find yourself facing a lawsuit.

Hypnosis can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing..no book will prepare you for what can happen. The thread is entitled real info....that is real info.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I always hate to be a party pooper of any kind and try to refrain from telling any one what to do, but I'm forced to agree with Shrink on this one. Every one will do what he wants in the end, but I'm professional and have had the crap scared out of me on occasion.

H.W.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Yeah, but the kids gotta learn from somewhere.

Where did you learn from, shrink?

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Francisco,

Naturally you are correct. The cheapest option is to, of course, get the books, but go and see hypnotism shows and try and meet up with the performer afterwards. Even if all you do is befriend them, at least you will have someone to call if things go wrong.

Good hypnotists will direct you to courses in your area. Basically learn everything you can, courses, other performers, books tapes, CD's, etc.

H.W
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
OK, fair enough. I'm not an expert, sorry!

-Francisco

Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

No matter What I have done, I would never class myself as an expert in anything. I've simply put in the time and money and have almost 10 years in hypnosis behind me, but I don't think anyone is ever an expert especially me. There always seems to be something new or old to learn. Anyone can do what I can.

I'm nothing special in any way.

H.W
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I trained with a professional stage hypnotist initially then got several hypnotherapy diplomas.

Even then some things that have happened in the early days scared the **** out of me.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 14:05, Hypnotic Winter wrote:

I advise reading every thing on hypnosis.

Have you done this yourself? Wow!
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Gosh, this thread is raging out of control.

Did you know there are organizations that will sell you a certificate in clinical hypnotherapy? (If being an "expert" is important to you, just buy it. Actually, seriously, do it; it'll help you get gigs.)

This reminds me of the Penn & Teller Bullsh*t episode with Wendi ("Wendi with an 'i'".) They tore her a new a-hole. (But if you go to her website, she promotes it as a total success.) She might not be a bona fide expert, but that's a person who knows what she's doing (no one is rich by accident).

Best,
JS
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

DoctorAmazo,

What I really meant to say was that I advise reading everything on hypnosis you can get your hands on. Do not fall into the trap of reading one book and assuming that is all there is to learn.

H.W
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Real info about hypnotism (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL