The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Holy moly review (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
At the risk of being redundant, I purchased Holey Moley at a Sankey lecture as well. I thought it would be a 'cute' trick, sort of one of those that we 'just happen to have' in our pockets. Man, this thing kills! Putting the one item in the specs hand with just the index finger on top the edge - they are so sure it couldn't have happened! I thought perhaps this was one of those routines that only Jay could get a reaction from - oh no, this is more bang for the buck than anything I have ever purchased! Oh, and its fun, too.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Niva - your comments are unwarranted and incorrect. No-one has said anywhere Sankey is a bad magician - quite the contrary he is seriously gifted... he has some great effects like Holy Moly, Paperclipped, Mr Clean Across but he also has some not so good effects... his style more than most can offend some but amuse others... that's about it... you can worship him or dislike him or both... so say what you will but I don't remember a single comment saying he was a bad or ungifted magician... not one...

As for Holy Moly - I don't remember any bad words about it either other than the fact it's a copper silver effect with washers - which it is...
catch you later

Clarioneer
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
I don't get the impression that Niva is stating that Sankey is a bad magician nor has he made any bad comments about Holy Moly. What I think he's saying is that there are some honest unbiased reviews of Sankey's effect here and that the thread hasn't degenerated into a Sankey bashing session because the Sankey bashers haven't shown up. My impression is that Niva appreciates Jay Sankey's magic.

-Dan
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Mine should be here tomorrow, definitely going to learn the 6 Magic Moments Routine, since the moves aren't that hard, but will need some practise.

Will do the simple version as well if I don't have coin purse on me.

I think I will store mine in a coin purse, but the one I have is about 10cms high, is that ok for the routine though?
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
BILL DAVIS MAGIC
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
25 Posts

Profile of BILL DAVIS MAGIC
I guess I just don't get it. I watched the promo video and it's 100% obvious how everything is done, just as it is for Holy Stretch. Gonna swing by Home Depot, pick up two hole-less round metal shims plus a longer "stretched" one that's round on both ends, go home, bust out my drill and metal drill bit, and make my own set for about a buck or two total, tops.
- ABRACADAVIS!

"Magic is in the Hand of the Card Holder"

Visit me at:
HTTP://BILLDAVISMAGIC.COM

Follow me on:
http://instagram.com/billdavismagic
http://facebook.com/billdavismagic
http://twitter.com/billdavismagic
http://billdavismagic.tumblr.com

...and please SUBSCRIBE at the right of my White Spade logo on top:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+davis+magic
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have always combined this with "UnHoly." That way I can repeat with a different ending,
or retrieve the blank for the spectator and get the hole to jump back even more visibly.

SInce I sometimes use a walker and may be in a wheelchair someday, I like effects that use objects that apparently "fell off" my machine.
a 6" wrench or screw driver makes a wand and a whole show can be done from a tool kit and spare parts.
Nuts and bolts are easy to palm.

I have difficulty watching Sankey describe his effects, but applaud his inspiration that has influence many effects I use. I pay for the ideas -- not the props.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I just picked this up, as well as Grand Opening and Portal.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to share a Jay story as well.

I was at the A1 Multimedia convention, waiting for a lecture by Jay Sankey, who at the time I had never heard of.

This geeky looking kid comes and sits next to me, and asks if this next guy was any good. I said I didn't know. He said he's probably some card guy.

Mike Maxwell gets up and starts his introduction for the session, and the kid starts to get up, so I tell him that Jay should be in shortly.

Yup, the kid sitting next to me was Jay. We both had a good laugh.

Dave
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Someone wrote:

Quote:
...it's 100% obvious how everything is done...Gonna swing by Home Depot...and make my own set for about a buck or two total, tops.

All that for a trick that you feel is "100% obvious"?

If it is because you think it obvious to you but will fool non-magicians you might want to consider supporting the creator.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I would love to be able to get Holy moly made up in Chinese coins it would be perfect then however having chatted with a couple of coin gaff makers apparently it's a no go :-(
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, Boomer wrote:
I just picked this up, as well as Grand Opening and Portal.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to share a Jay story as well.

I was at the A1 Multimedia convention, waiting for a lecture by Jay Sankey, who at the time I had never heard of.

This geeky looking kid comes and sits next to me, and asks if this next guy was any good. I said I didn't know. He said he's probably some card guy.

Mike Maxwell gets up and starts his introduction for the session, and the kid starts to get up, so I tell him that Jay should be in shortly.

Yup, the kid sitting next to me was Jay. We both had a good laugh.

Dave

This is a great story! Smile And it reminds me of when I used to teach college in NYC...

...I was pretty young looking then (actually I was pretty young) Smile and the students used to call me the "homeboy professor." Smile So, at the beginning of each semester with a new class, I would come in and take a seat way in the back as the class would fill up. Smile I typically would chat a bit with people sitting around me, and even sometimes wait a few minutes pass the start of the class so as it to appear that the professor was late. Smile Then, I would stand up and walk to the front of the class and introduce myself... What fun! Smile You should'a seen all the popped-out eyeballs from all the students, especially the ones I just happened to be chatting with while sitting in the back. Smile I remember hearing all sorts of comments from around me about the professor being late... Smile It took some of them a while to believe that I was actually/ really their professor. Smile It became something I did for several years to begin my classes and some lasting relationships with some of my students...I'm sure there's many of them out there everywhere now that remember me doing this. Smile

...And yes, after a while, I would also do magic for my class, especially to accentuate a point I wanted to make about the lecture and or life itself, as to focus and "things not being always what they seem." Smile After a while, students would happily ask me to do some magic for them, just because, and I would...I remember "3-Fly" blowing them all away. Smile Needless to say, my classes were always crowded and among the first to fill-up. Smile Other professors were jealous, but regularly asked me to divulge how I made my classes so popular. Besides my youthful teaching style in relating to the students, I'd like to think that the magic helped to do the trick, so to speak. Smile

*And just my 2 cents here...but Jay Sankey is an amazing talent, with plenty of great closeup magic to prove it, i.e. Holy Moly, etc. His zany wit and crazy chops with coins, cards, whatever is hard to beat. And that he has also shown himself to be a prolific magic creator are some of the things that make him an absolute Master of a magician, IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
@Mb217,

Great story, thanks. I used to be a college professor, but I never performed any magic for them.

I took a break from magic when I was teaching, just didn't have time to practice/rehearse as I was teaching days and evenings.

Dave
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just picked up the "New" "Holy Moly" direct from Jay's site and I couldn't be happier. The new size washers are just a hair smaller than a half dollar. In fact, if you lay one on a half, the only part of the half you will see is the rim. The addition of the "Karate Coin" washer gimmick in the set was a nice addition too. Well worth the $20 plus shipping to me.

I have also picked up a couple of cool Sankey effects on sale at the Magic Warehouse. Got "Wanderful" for $10 (reg $40) and got "Devil's Tail" for $15 (reg $50). I actually bought 4 of the Wanderful as I like longer props for it plus I wanted an extra for a 5" ring and rope routine (and I really liked the rope). Still a bargain if you only want the well sourced rope. As for the Devil's Tail, I bought 2 (so I would have a back up set) he actually charges about $10 for just the rope (as an extra) on his site. For the $15, I got the rope and an extra set of the ferromagnetic finger rings (that I can use in other effects too). http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/ Has the best sale items of any site I frequent. Check them out, great regular priced stuff too, customer service, fast shipping... One of my oldest and favorite internet / brick and mortar shops for years.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Holy moly review (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL