The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Brainwave, invisible or x deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
newboy
View Profile
New user
coventry, england
6 Posts

Profile of newboy
I am interested in all 3 decks and I understand they are similar can anyone recommend which would be best or are all three worth having in your collection
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Well - that's an easy one, without a doubt:
Invisible Deck..
F. Smile
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Why not X-Deck? I suppose it is an improvement over the ID.
Unfortunately I don't have an X-Deck yet (I'm going to order it as soon as I get some money... but I digress Smile) so I cannot be 100% sure, but it seems that with X-Deck you can do all you do with an ID, plus you can show front and backs...

Cheers,
Gio
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Where can I find the X-Deck? Thanks!
newboy
View Profile
New user
coventry, england
6 Posts

Profile of newboy
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Get all three. I don't know about the X-Deck, but the Invisible and Brainwave decks, while widely used, are two of the strongest effects in card magic. Of course, all these tricks are essentially the same (a thought-of card is revealed to have been predicted in the deck) so you might prefer to learn all three and just decide which one you like best. Personally, I prefer the Brainwave deck.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Whichever deck affords you the most entertaining presentation.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
X_Deck...
the X-Deck can be made, simply, in minutes, with your own deck. And a little "something" (which is always at hand!).
The deck can be cut. And spread from hand to hand, showing front and back. However, when the freely selected card is chosen. It appears to be the only one marked with an "X" ....

how strange...

Invisible Deck...
A bargain at any price. I use it with "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph. When anyone names any card. It is seen to be the only one missing in a complete deck. And when it is shown to be the only reversed card in the second deck, it slays 'em.

wulfie
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Quote:
Invisible Deck...
A bargain at any price. I use it with "Premonition" by Eddie Joseph.

What a great idea. I've always liked the first half of Premonition but not-so-much the method of the second half. The ID is a terrific solution. Thanks! Now I've gotta find my Premonition booklet...

Will
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
No problem Will...pleased to share an idea...

when the chosen card is announced, I give the deck to the spectator. And when they find it is missing...they find it is the only card reversed in the ID deck which has been on the table before the routine started.
All attention is towards the ID deck. Leaving it even cleaner....

regards - Wulfie
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
The description of the X-Deck sounds exactly like Sankey's "X" in the Secret Files series.
dmdk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of dmdk
I find the X-deck demo on the web site.
This look like better than invisible deck. You can cut the card
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
The Invisible Deck is the best, without a doubt.

X is not as good, since it takes away from the card being turned over(which is the killer effect in itself). This almost goes unnoticed when just looking for the X. Moreover ID could be repeated instantly, if you put the cards back in the box. With the X Deck, this is not possible all the times. I don`t want to reveal too much here, but the people who own it know what I am talking about. Plus repeating it would make no sense, since the crossing of the card took place in advance(allegedly, so the spectators are told). So the charm of the effect is lost when repeated, not with the original ID.

Brainwave is another thing. I never understood how anybody can say it is better than the Invisible Deck. The Invisible Deck has a certain purity(one card is named, cards are shown, named card is turned over), which the Brainwave Deck certainly hasn`t.
The Brainwave Deck often causes spectators to ask to see the whole deck, since a blue card in a red deck, or vice versa, is somewhat too suspicious. This doesn´t really happen with the Invisible Deck.
It is hard to explain to some people, but deep down inside, everybody knows that the Invisible Deck is the real thing, that is why a vast majority prefers the Invisible Deck over the Brainwave Deck. ID is the best, there is no doubt about it.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
"ID is the best, there is no doubt about it."

If matters were that easy...

First, I also prefer the Ultra Mental Deck (Invisible Deck was Don Alan's popular presentation for the deck).
I prefer it, because it provides suspense and anticipation. There is one and only one card face down. What will it be?

However, there is one possible suspicion: The magician has quickly reversed the target card somehow. You must take care to avoid this suspicion.

With the Brainwave Deck this suspicion is unfounded. The effect of the Brainwave Deck hits them right in the face. You spread the cards and - BOOM - there is the thought of card. Then you turn the card over for the knock out, there is nothing left, which could explain the effect, except pure luck.

While having essentially the same effect, the ID and BD have very different dynamics. I think it is strictly a matter of personal preference, which deck you prefer.

"The Brainwave Deck often causes spectators to ask to see the whole deck, since a blue card in a red deck, or vice versa, is somewhat too suspicious."

Marco, I take it that your statement comes from experience. Although I have performed the BD only a couple of times, nobody wanted to see the deck. But I can imagine, that it's easy to telegraph that things are not what the are supposed to be, because the BD is more difficult to handle. But if you spread the cards without hesitation and without fumbling or obvious counting, I think you won't have any problems.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Although I don't think it is better than usual ID presentation, I have an idea to show the reversed card is the only one card with different colored back.

If you use this method, the effect becomes as below.

Spectator indicates one card.
You spread the deck face up and one face down card appears. It is red back.
You show backs of the deck. They are blues.
You turn the face down card face up. It is the card the spectator indicated.

If you buy a red back ID and a blue back ID, you can make the deck easily.

Hideo Kato
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I.D.!!! We should not be without this one. By the way, Thanks for sharing that one Kato San!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Are there any dealers in the U.S. selling the X-Deck?
Thanks.
Richard
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Ho Hideo Kato: I know what you are talking about(two Invisible Decks, one red and one blue, and making new ones of them), but how is it possible to show the backs of the cards during the presentation, as you said? Wonder how that should work.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2004-10-21 09:07, Marco S. wrote:
Wonder how that should work.

Dribble off Ribbon Spread.

Hideo Kato
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Have to see it to know I understand you for sure.

Still, I think this is not possible, except there is a thing you didn`t mention here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Brainwave, invisible or x deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL