The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..26~27~28 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Quote:
On 2001-09-14 23:14, Tom Cutts wrote:
Bill Tarr’s Now You See It, Now You Don’t is what got me going with the real stuff.

Tom Cutts

I agree with Tom.Bill Tarr’s Now You See It, Now You Don’t was the first book I got and it and it had my interest flowing.i still consider myself a beginner( a good beginner hahah) .a beginner should start with a book which cover many stuff but up to a certain extent otherwise he'll face the hard sleights and he'll loose interest .it will also help him to understand what genre of magic he is willing to get into.the books should be based mainly on non gimmick magic or the gimmicks that are easy to make .after I thoroughly finished Now You See It, Now You Don’t .i got myself bobo's,hugard,royal road to card magic,erdnase ,slydini,tamariz,fritz books etc and bought some real gimmicks.(I'm actually still reading these books and just got the Tarbell magic course..These books are amazing and considered as bibles of magic.

the point is maybe I wouldn't have cling on to magic if I hadn't started with bill tarr's book.i would have been lost if I started with the big bobo's book or hugard's or fritz as they are really hard to finish off and some sleights take time to master.Now You See It, Now You Don’t is a small book and can make anyone feel that he can perform magic whether closeup in the table,streets or even stage.i believe this is the biggest boost one can have.i also recommend some books on performance like Tamariz's five points on magic.Smile
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
waso
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of waso
I agree, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, it covers a broad range of topics and has excellent illustrations. Its cheap and available from amazon.
genecircuit
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of genecircuit
Hi all; I'm trying to attempt the Penn and Teller Shadow trick (the one with the flower) for a school project, but I'm rather new to magic and not sure how it's done. Any inputs or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Dionigi
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Dionigi
I found most of my closeup repetoire from Jon Tremaine amazing book of magic and the book of closeup magic 1&2 by Lewis Ganson
Sapien
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Sapien
Hey,

I'm a beginner too; just working my way through Mark Wilsons, and I'm loving the process. I do get a bit impatient at times, but I'm dealing with it! I've got myself the DVD version of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and was wondering whether I should get the book as well. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Richard.J.E
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard.J.E
As already mentioned I would advise Card College by Roberto Giobbi. I myself as a novice returning to cards belive it is the course for any card magician regardless of skill level. The Card College Light series also is a recommendation to accompany the main series due to its easier to master tricks which allow you to start doing illusions while learning sleights from the main. Just my two cents.
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
I gotta go with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, being one of my very first magic books when I was a kid. It covers so much. And of course for coin magic, Bobo's Modern Coin magic is a must have.
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
blackskirt
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of blackskirt
Not trying to promote my site, but you can check it out if you're only after some simple and fun magic. The link 'Magic Tricks Central' is in my signature if you're interested. Created to share some fun magic tricks around Smile
bicycle66
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
The first book I read was Royal Road to Card Magic and then Modern Coin Magic I am now reading Tarbells course in magic all of these I believe are great (most books are) I have yet to crack the cover of Mark Wilsons book but that is next I kinda like DVD's more for me it is easier to see and mimic "the move" that I am trying to learn. I have MCM DVD's and they are great very helpful for someone like me who likes to learn by video. Sean.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2001-09-25 16:01, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
My list of required books for the budding magician:

Amateur Magician’s Handbook-Hay

Royal Road to Card Magic-Hugard & Braue

New Modern Coin Magic-Bobo

The Magic Book-Lorayne

Close up Card Magic-Lorayne

Stars of Magic

Mark Wilson’s Complete Course

After these, get Tarbell, Greater Magic, and Card College. Follow with Ortiz’ Strong Magic and the Tamariz Trilogy, and you’ll have all you need to make a living in magic!

An outstanding list! I would, likewise, put Henry Hay's book at the top of the list. And, personally, I'd probably read Our Magic before reading Greater Magic. And don't forget Dai Vernon!
All great books.
anjomagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of anjomagic
My first Magic book was Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic and I trully love this book. The book covers numerous branches of Magic and a beginner will learn how to appreciate learning a magic trick at the same time appreciate the performance aspect of magic.

I have been performing magic for 15 years and even today I will go back look through the book and often find an effect I can use and be able to add sleights or take the concept and add to an existing routine enhancing the effect all together.

Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic Highly recommended for all beginners.
alexoid
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of alexoid
There are some great suggestions here- I think that DVD's also have much to offer because they show the trick being performed, usually very well and often using text to explaine a trick just isn't clear enough.

For a beginner wanting to perform strong "Street magic" I'd recommend this
http://www.squidoo.com/street_magic
(My review of "Street Magic" by Paul Zenon) because it's excellently written with clear photographs.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I've significantly rekindled my childhood affection for magic in the last 5 months. During this time I've highly enjoyed Joshua Jay's Complete Course in Magic. The large pics and great DVD have been huge. I've also gained some valuable stuff from Magic for Dummies.

I really appreciate all of the posts from you veterans. This will save me some time and money on my book selections.
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
I also think the card college books are essential for a beginner in card magic
Paped
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Paped
Jak Pan to Robi - Jerzy Mecwaldowski Caroni
Aleksander Wadimov
Sekrety Kart - Jerzy Mecwaldowski Caroni

This books are in polish language
chiroh2000
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of chiroh2000
I am new to magic and the first book I bought was by Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It is very helpful, fun to do. It teaches you the basic sleight of hands necessary for card magic. some routine for mentalism and other magic tricks using ordinary things.

Highly recommended!!
nyphoebe
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of nyphoebe
Mark Wilson's course in magic is great,a must for every beginner and even advanced magicians.
Dick.OShea
View Profile
New user
MA
6 Posts

Profile of Dick.OShea
A book that I started with and believe to be very helpful - Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms. There's plenty of good insight to be had from this. You'll learn some good effects - but more importantly, you'll learn about Magic.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
Thought guys reading this post might want to know that Alibris books has a sale.
The Art of Magic and Sleight of Hand by N Einhorn for $0.99 better get them while they last
Steve
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Knack Magic Tricks by Richard Kaufman

Mysterio's Encyclopedia of Magic and Conjuring by Gabe Fajuri

My Best (J.G. Thompson)
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommended books for beginners (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL