The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Problem solving vs. exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
“The superintendent of the school district urged the students to try to figure out how the magicians did what they did because that would be a good lesson in problem solving.”

I think I would have countered the superintendent’s comments by saying,
“Thank you. Students, you may wonder how I do the things that I do. There is an easy answer. It is magic. And I… (look at your garb and accoutrements) I am a magician. You might be trying to figure out how the magic happens. If you really want to know, I will share a secret with you. (Lean close and share) If you want to learn magic… Read. Go to your library. Have fun. But today, if you think that you have discovered something… then do what I do… Watch your friends and enjoy them watching the magic. And… if you are interested in learning more… talk to me afterwards… and don’t forget that magical place… the library.”

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
It is exposure so I guess really it shouldnt be done.
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As a newcomer to magic, perhaps I am speaking out of turn. I became interested in magic after watching a performance. I had a chance to speak with the magician and asked him how I could get started in magic (even I knew "How did you do that?" is an impolite question. He responded, "Read Mark Wilson's book". I like his response because it put responsibility on me, but also showed me that it is possible for a regular person to learn some of the secrets.

As a high school teacher, I am concerned with the dangers of credulity. I am saddened by students who believe wildly irrational things. I do, for example, expose John Edwards's *Crossing Over* for the fakery it is because the possible damage done by such acts exceeds the entertainment value, IMO.

While I don't share the moral horror of many at the exposure of a "pure entertainment" trick, I see no educational reason to expose. But I would encourage any interested person to pursue their own questions.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that there doesn't appear to be a simple rule to follow, but there are important considerations in each case.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
John writes: "I suppose what I am trying to say is that there doesn't appear to be a simple rule to follow, but there are important considerations in each case. "

Well put!
There is NO clear and simple rule to follow; every case has its own merits and drawbacks.

El Lamo writes: "If you really want to know, I will share a secret with you. (Lean close and share) If you want to learn magic… Read. Go to your library. Have fun."

In my magic classes for young people, I have membership cards which I hand out. Every card has the same "membership" number on it -- 793.8 -- and says go to the library and look up this section. (It is the magic section, under the Dewey Decimal System.) Parents and teachers appreciate it and the kids get real value from the number.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I, for one, am not presenting puzzles, I am presenting magic. There is a difference.

Quote:
On 2004-11-08 17:39, Peter Marucci wrote:
El Lamo writes: "If you really want to know, I will share a secret with you. (Lean close and share) If you want to learn magic… Read. Go to your library. Have fun."

In my magic classes for young people, I have membership cards which I hand out. Every card has the same "membership" number on it -- 793.8 -- and says go to the library and look up this section. (It is the magic section, under the Dewey Decimal System.) Parents and teachers appreciate it and the kids get real value from the number.

Criminey Peter! That is REALLY GOOD!! You are a fountain of ideas!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Have a talk with the superintendent.
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
Thanks to everyone for all their responses. I did not reply earlier because I wanted the conversation to continue as long as possible and I thought that if I gave my response right away it would kill the conversation. (It's a teacher thing).

You have all given me (and others, I hope) much to think about. I have decided that I will not use magic for problem solving but instead present other mysteries for them to use instead.

This year I have about five students who regularly check out the magic books from the school library. I have also found them practicing French Drops (which they learned from the books) and often hear the sounds of coins clinking or dropping. I have decided after the 9 days of state testing in March that I will have an after-school magic club for those interested. The requirement to join is that they have to perform one of the tricks from the books to be eligible.

As to the superintendent (not my district by the way), perhaps I did not do a complete job with the context. The reason for the show is that it showcases young magicians in the hopes of encouraging the students in the audience to begin learning magic themselves. So her message was twofold, we should always be problem-solvers, and what if you were the magician? How would you do it. I am sure that 99% of the students promptly forgot the message about problem solving and sat back and enjoyed the show.

Thanks again,

Gene
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Way to go gene !!!!
good luck in your magic club.
and please emphasize to you're young magicians the importance of not exposing a trick Smile
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
I just got my copy of Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Although he is speaking about the challenge and puzzle approach to magic that some magicians use, his words make sense in this thread also.

"Puzzles have solutions. We may not know what the soplution is, but we know there is one. Magic, on the other hand, is, by definition, an eternal mystery for which there is no possible solution. Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to challenge the audience to find a solution." (p. 21)

Sorry, I did not finish my original message. Darwin's point is the same as that made by some of the contributors to this thread. I appreciated the discussion on both sides.

Gene
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Good book and good decision.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
For problem solving, try logic puzzles. There's a great magaizne out that monthly has dozens of problems to solve using pure logic. Chess is another great way to teach thinking skills and how to visualize situations. Magic is a mystery to enjoy and be amazed by. I'm glad to see so many here do not agree with exposing or admitting to how a trick is performed. Let's keep the magic magical.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Problem solving vs. exposure (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL