The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Floating A Lady (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I am wanting to perform something like the
Super-X or similar illusion. I currently
own a Super-X but they all come with weight
limitations.

The problem is I want to be able to suspend
my wife and she tips the scale at 230 lbs.
What I want to know is are there any plans
that allow you to suspend a heavier body
than the standard 125-130 pound limits on
these illusions.

Now I'm being totally serious about this and
I'm not looking for sarcasm or jokes on this
matter. My wife wants me to put together an
illusion show using her. She says anyone can
make a skinny girl disappear (just stand her
sideways) or make her disembodied. But a
big girl, now thats quite something that
will get a lot of attention. I'm also
considering Assistants Revenge its alot
easier than the sub trunk.

Thanks for any help you can provide Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The Assistants Revenge works well for plus sized assistants, I know one professional whos wife is around 200+# and they do it splendidly.They also do the swords and basket, which I admit was astounding.

I'll let someone else take the other half of your question because I'm not sure.

I give you and your wife credit, I'm a little tired of the scantly dressed eye candy hopping around a stage.

Take care,
X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Boy oh boy this is right up my alley. I am currently going to school to learn proper metal working for a future or side life in custom metal illusion. I'll leave the woodworking up to my friends. I think this is highly possable doing the levitation although one must consider. The materals used in the construction would have to be heavier duty and heavier in weight. The super x weighs between 25 and 35lbs if my memory serves me right. This however would weigh 80 to 90lbs. It would also have to be reinforced with angle brackets where most of the strain would be. I have done in the past for some close friends mainly electronic custom props. If you would like I could build a fog machine inside. (to make her float on fog) Or... If there was a board under the gimmick you could make a magical gesture and it would drop. That I can do. It would take a few months though and would be around guessing 1000 to 1300 bucks. Almost twice as much as a normal super x however this is just a random figure I am sure I can cut costs if need be. With or without electronic devices inside. Smile
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have actually built and performed a super “X”/Princess Flying Carpet that held more than the 250 pounds you are interested in.

See my post:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......6&15

Take your super “X” gimmick to a welder and explain what you need and you will have an industrial strength gimmick made. This is not all that hard a project!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The 3-in-one levitation, using a stage hand and using weights (Weight lifter weights), this levitation can be done vertically, horizontally, or flying carpet fashion. To do it effectively, it takes a few moments for the stage hand to load the weights before a levitation can take place. Also it would take a few more moments after the levitation is back on the floor so the stage hand can remove the weights or a counter inbalance will occur and someone could get hurt. It can be done easily but it does require rehearsal and a stall tactic. Check out the video on the builder's site:

3-in-1

The advantage is that in a levitation your wife will rise or float upward. Suspensions are stationary. Given the choice, go for the levitation.
Dennis Michael
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I want to thank everyone who has been so generous and polite in this thread. I really appreciate all the help and guidance I received here and privately.

Mumblepeas, thank you for the information about preparing the Super-X gimmick to take the extra challenges a plus sized person creates. As I told you privately I'm going to have my gimmick altered.

Dennis, thanks for the information about the 3-in-l levitation, my wife and I both liked the effect and are planning on adding it later as the budget allows for it. The multiple ways of levitating with the one gimmick are awesome.

mrmetropolis, I really appreciate your enthusiasm in your response to this project, but I will be probably using a local welder as the budget right now requires minimal cost in the development of our show.

Like I said I want to thank you all for your contributions. It's wonderful finding a forum where you actually can ask questions and get answers with everyone acting like the professionals we're claim to be.Smile

Martin Blakley
Redbeard The Magical Pirate
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
The late John Pomeroy made a broom suspension for a heavy opera singer.He imported an ingot of sweedish steel to cast it. I do not know what happened to the prop.Maybe someone from Seattle knows.
unklepaul
View Profile
New user
hemel hempstead, uk
84 Posts

Profile of unklepaul
I was chatting to a dealer in a store last week and this subject came up. we both agreed that a lot of stage illusions would be more convincing/astounding if the assistant was larger or even a big stocky male.
indeed the dealer used to use a larger assistant for his zigzag girl
bearing in mind the exposure programmes shown all the time, using a larger assistant (i myself am over 280lb) adds a real wow factor!
this thread gives me some food for thought too, so thanks
om mani padme hum
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Magical Pirate-

I recently built a Paul Osborne Super Suspension & strengthed it up- using 20mm stainless steel bent in a 100tonne press at a steelyard as well as a bracket of quarter inch steel under the board- The board is hardwood 25 mm thick x 9 in wide -the whole unit can be carried by me & fits in my car-fits together in 7 mins with 4 large nuts & bolts as well as a base on wheels

I altered Pauls design for strength & use-I do a lot of Promo photos before our shows so use lots of different weight people-During shows I use my daughter who is light but the unit doesn't move at all-Also If she is not available-I can use a person from the crowd at any weight upto 300 pounds if required!

PM me & I will send you pics of me floating the local Mayor over 200 pounds as well as I can support myself with no movement bend of the board etc-Im over 200 pounds-athletic build

-Brent
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I have a very strong levitation that I used to use and am now selling b/c I have something smaller and lighter: a broom susp. This thing was a beast: it levitated me everynight at 170+ pounds and I am told it can hold 200 pounds, maybe even more. PM me if you want more info on it, I might be able to help you
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You may also want to try something along the lines of an Asrah levitation. Weight is no factor at all.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used a Harbin Walk-Away suspension at the Renaissance Festival for a long time. I made it a bit higher than the original plans and I increased the size of the base section for better stability. It served me very well. It would hold 230+ pounds.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
There was an act in the UK that did the mismade girl with a "fat" lady. It worked really well. He used an over-sized shoe horn to get her into the box. The illusion worked better as she was pushed right up against the doors in the front of the box. I think it was Richard De Vere (who now does the Mistique show in Blackpool?), but I may be wrong.
Jimmy Carlo also did over-sized illusions, with himself going in them. He performed as a Sumo and did a very funny comedy illusion act.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Bill, what exactly is the "Walk Away Suspension"?

All I can find in the book is "Magic Carpet", "Chair Suspension", and "Super X Plus", but on page 46, 49, and again on 51, a reference is made to the "Walk Away". I'm confused! Is "Super X Plus" and "Walk Away" one and the same?

... the reason I asked, Bill, is so far you and Dennis Loomis are the only two I can find here who own the book!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Harbin's Walk Away is a board which sits on top of two trestles. The girl lies on the board, and one by one the trestles are removed. (Slid backwards out from under the board. Then a hoop is passed over the girl and board.) I think that the closest you may find to it is the Don Alan Magic Ranch Video which features Jack Gwynne. Gwynne does his own suspension which is very close to the Harbin Walk Away. In Gwynne's version, the board is also removed. The original Harbin can be performed by a performer and one girl assistant. The Gwynne Version requires two additional assistants. Dick Zimmermann build some of the Walk Away Suspensions some years back for the McDonald's Corporation for Ronald's to use in their shows. I bought one from him and still have it. Well made, I don't know the maximum weight it will hold, but quite a lot. For a while I had another Walk Away which was built by David Charvet. His was based on the Abbott Super X gimmick.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Thanks. I have the Gwynne video, so I am aware of what you are referring to.

Bill, if I were to use a prop like Harbin's "Walk-away Suspension," to whom would I pay a user fee, or how do I obtain rights to use such a prop?

Hmmm ... what I'm getting at, Bill, is you so haughtily chastise people for building props without permission from, and payment to, the originator. I'm wondering how you got permission to build the Harbin suspension you wrote about.

Just curious.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
If you own the Harbin book you have the rights to build and perform the illusions in it I believe.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2005-03-19 20:03, Deke Rivers wrote:
Hmmm ... what I'm getting at, Bill, is you so haughtily chastise people for building props without permission from, and payment to, the originator. I'm wondering how you got permission to build the Harbin suspension you wrote about.

Just curious.

Be careful what you say about Bill. He has connections you know. LOL

In one thread he also offered to discuss some things via PM. So, he is giving info to someone who hasn't paid the ones that came up with whatever it is he is offering to discuss. Whatever happened to his "ethics?"

Well, this post shouldn't last long before it is deleted. Oh well.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Yes, MagicTim, but the Walkaway Suspension is NOT in the book!

Actually, Michael, I am not baiting him ... I am genuinely curious.

But, it IS interesting that he fails to respond, when he, himself, has such a visible disdain and seems very opinionated about this topic when others are involved.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I'd be interested in hearing Bill's response.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Floating A Lady (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL