The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Shadow Tent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
I wish to order it, any reviews for it ? Thank you
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Anyone seen/have this yet?

Cheers,
Jerry
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
if you guys do stage magic and know the method of the original SHADOW BOX them I'm sure you don't need to think much about it other than the props are made from Quality Material.

Many years ago I used to do the shadow box illusion and still today its one of my best loved effects.

if any of you end up guying that effect ill give you some extra tips to add some life to the effect.
Matt Redd
View Profile
New user
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
63 Posts

Profile of Matt Redd
I had the chance to see this at the Daytona Festival of Magic. It is a great new look to the old shadow box. It all folds up and goes into a small carrying bag. Matt Redd
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I agree with Matt. It is a great old look to the shadow magic. Wish it was a little cheaper though....
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
As of a three weeks ago, I am the proud new owner of a Shadow Tent and cannot say enough about this illusion! They've put a new twist on a classic illusion. The effect is a great opener, and has gotten an incredible response from audiences. They love it! The tent itself is made from high quality material, not like a cheap tent, and is clearly designed as a magic illusion. Those of you familiar with the effect will appreciate some added features that make it easy to perform. Setup is a breeze, and it looks great. The video explains how to set it up, how the illusion works, etc. Creative Magic has done a great job with this one, I hope they're planning on coming out with more!
Slydini62, I was very skeptical of the price as well, but the quotes on their website convinced me it had to be something worthwhile. I guarantee this one is worth it! It's everything it claims to be. Beside being as cheap or cheaper than other shadow boxes, it packs down and fits in a small bag. I love the new tent, it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine!
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Dearwiseone

Thank you for the first hand review. I had seen the ads and admit I was skeptical.

I do need to ask. How have you justified in your presentation the use of camping equipment?

~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Sorry for not been a Stage profesionnal, but can someone tell me the original effect of this?

thanks

Devilix
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Fredrick,
Good question. so far, I haven't used it in a camping routine. I have simply used it as a production. In other words, I haven't taken the time to make a large routine around it. The tent is such that I can use it by its self and it looks like a magic prop. It also looks like a tent thought, so I could use it in a camping routine. I think it would be easy to have a fake camp fire on stage, use a lantern for the light, we're around the tent telling ghost stories, and maybe the person even appears in a sleeping bag! Anyway, I haven't really developed the routine enough yet, so far just using it for productions has gotten a great reaction! I'll let you know what I come up with. To sum up, the tent looks enough like a tent that people would recognize it if it were placed in a surrounding with camping things. It also looks enough like a stage illusion/ that it can stand on its own two feet, without a setting of any sort.
Devilix. the effect is the typical shadow box effect. A box is shown empty, a light illuminates the box/tent, a shadow begins to appear, and then a person bursts out! go to their website creativemagic.org and they have several demo videos. I just checked them, they're working great. They've added a new one as well!
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Dearwiseone,

How is the shadow tent when using a Audience member like a CEO or Vip. Can it be taught quickly? Will it tip the gaff to have them wiggleing on stage? How are thge angles? Any other cons we might have to consider?

Thanks

Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I must say that this is the most awful 'illusion' I have ever seen.

These guys are selling you a tent and a lightbulb!

I'm all for creativity in the magic world but this just takes the biscuit!

I don't mean to tread on anyones toes here but, you guys actually LIKE this?

Best

Gary
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I thought it was cheezy at first glance, but I think a good presentation that justified the prop would help. Seems priced very high. Tents like that cost $80.00.

I guess you're paying for the "secret" Smile
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Actually Gary, I LOVE it. Have you actually seen one or are you trashing this sight unseen? It is MUCH more than a plain tent and has a ton of presentation possibilities. I have yet to hear one negative review from ANYONE that actually owns one.

I admit the price is a little high right now, but if you bought it at the introductory price, it was a steal for such a versatile illusion.

Remember, not all shows fit the traditional big shinny box mold. We keep saying we want to see originality, but when it is produced we dump on it because it is not what we are used too. Keep an open mind.

Mike
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Mike,
I assume by your post that you own the effect. Without tipping it out in the open can you give any examples of how it is new or improved? My wife was asking me if it was something that I wanted to add in to my act but I will have to admit that I said no until I see it in person. Any additional information other than just saying that it is great would be great.

By the way the reason that I really would like to know is that I do Boy Scout and Girl Scout shows and it seems a good fit with the tent theme.

Thanks,
Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
By the way the reason that I really would like to know is that I do Boy Scout and Girl Scout shows and it seems a good fit with the tent theme.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw this (or something very much like it) in live performance at the IBM convention in Cleveland. I hate to say it, but it left me cold.

But if you are looking for a good, cheap illusion, you could do worse. I don't see this as a method of producing a CEO. The rehearsal time would be excessive and the person would be uncomfortable for quite a bit of time, I think. Most CEO's I know don't do "uncomfortable."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2004-12-30 15:24, pikacrd wrote:
Mike,
I assume by your post that you own the effect. Without tipping it out in the open can you give any examples of how it is new or improved? My wife was asking me if it was something that I wanted to add in to my act but I will have to admit that I said no until I see it in person. Any additional information other than just saying that it is great would be great.

Thanks
Kris

I will PM you as this is an open forum.

Quote:
On 2004-12-30 18:11, Bill Palmer wrote:
I saw this (or something very much like it) in live performance at the IBM convention in Cleveland. I hate to say it, but it left me cold.

But if you are looking for a good, cheap illusion, you could do worse. I don't see this as a method of producing a CEO. The rehearsal time would be excessive and the person would be uncomfortable for quite a bit of time, I think. Most CEO's I know don't do "uncomfortable."

Bill, I have to disagree. The rotation of the tent is optional. Having the front flap completely open is also a good convincer that the tent is empty. Done this way, there is no discomfort. Rehearsal time for this illusion is fairly minimal. My ten year old took about ten minutes.

Mike
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
MrPhil,
Good questions. I haven't taught a CEO yet, but I've taught others. It takes 5 minutes to run through the workings, and how it will work into your routine. I usually like to let them try it as well, do a little run through. As far as angles, yes, there are some, but they are very well covered. There are large black flaps on the corners of the tent that cover the angles very, very well. I don't think I've had any problems with angles. If you watch the video on creativemagic.org you can see the flaps I'm talking about.
Are there any cons? The price is a little high, but I honestly can justify that by saying I have a stage illusion that packs super small, and yet plays great to audiences. I've seen a few posts from people who say they can buy their own tent for much less. When you get the tent, you'll see that it's very obviously though out, and designed to be a magic illusion. It's very far from being just another tent.
Bsears, where can you get a tent like this for $80? Send me a picture or website. This tent has flaps (that look natural) to conceal your angles, special bottom flaps, and a dozen other modifications that make it far from a normal tent.
Bill, Rehearsal time is not excessive at all. I've never done a CEO, but the others I've taught are very comfortable after probably 10 minutes. I guess it depends on your ability to explain.
Hope this helps.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Thus it can't be done surrounded.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
How long does this tent take to assemble? I'm obviously not a camper.

Thanks,
Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Shadow Tent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL