The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Fred Kaps Homing Card Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
Hi,

Fred Kaps Homing Card Routine

Can anyone help regarding the source for this trick? I would like to offer it for sale and need to know if it in exists in book form or packet trick, etc.

Fred Kaps is a particular favourite of mine, and it would delight me if I could master it.

It was featured on UK Channel 4 - "Heroes of Magic" and is probably one of the funniest routines you can do with cards - if performed as well as FK...

I hope someone is familiar with this, or knows someone who is, it would be great to know.

Many thanks
Watch Magic Videos

Show your skills to the WORLD

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18245 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob Sheets sells a version. The original is in print in one of the early Hugard booklets.

Kaps' acting was 99 percent of it. If you can't act like he did, forget it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 01:53, Pete Biro wrote:
Bob Sheets sells a version. The original is in print in one of the early Hugard booklets.

Kaps' acting was 99 percent of it. If you can't act like he did, forget it.
I second that!!!

And yes, Fred always mentioned he took it right out of Hugards!!

*Showstoppers with cards*

was the title!!!

There's only one who could get the impact he got out of this, and that one was Fred Kaps..

Imitators forget it!!

I have seen a few and they all did it lousy!!!!

You can read *Showstoppers with cards* a hunbdred times and probably will not recognize anything...as Pete said, it was the acting..

Actually, I saw FK doing it life around 1961 or 62 at a convention in Hamburg/Germany..
on stage..he simply interrupted his stageact and put that piece into..
Slydini was there too..
Great memories...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
Thanks, I know he was more than a Magician....

Great to have so much knowledge on tap.

Thanks
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

*Showstoppers with cards*, page 13, *The Homing Card*, by Fred Braue...that's the booklet.

BUT, also the routine basically is described there, one has difficulties in recognizing/comparing it with what Fred did. He did his own handling and presentation, and that was what made it the great and entertaining routine he got out of it. The basics are there, but here we have a scholarly example what can be made out of *nothing*, by clever and entertaining presentation (and handling)!

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 3:42am
----------------------------------------
One more thought re Fred Kaps and his performance of the *Homing Card*..

I always thought very highly of this, not only because it was *the* perfect example of how Fred Kaps handled *magic*, how he could make an entertaining piece of magic out of practically a routine everybody did overlook in that tiny booklet called *Showstoppers with cards*, only consisting of 16 pages, with one single illustration in it!!

A booklet/routine overlooked by most...yes...it's all in the books!!!
(Jonathan Townsend does know Smile )

But also, because the presentation/routine, the way he did it, was an anywhere, anytime routine!
Magic that can be done anywhere!!!
Not too many routines can claim to be.

By anywhere, anytime I mean, a magic routine that can be done almost without any preparation, anywhere anytime...on the largest stage, in the smallest room.
A couple of cards and you can entertain.

There are very few routines in magic able to be used under the same premises.

One of them is George Sands Ropesational.
Sure, one has to have the rope...but you can do the routine at close-range in a room, at the tables, you can do it on-stage for a large audience.
(I don't...I don't work stages, but the routine can.)

Another example, the Hindu-Thread, packs small...plays big...6 card repeat- which unfortunately I don't do. Smile

A couple of others like the TT- silk vanish, when done WELL!!

To get on topic again, those interested in how a lot of others rated the FK performance of the *Homing Card* highly, have to read the article done by Fred Robinson on Fred Kaps in the Nov. 4, April 1980 issue of Pabular.

Here Fred Robinson does describe a bit more about, WHY that routine worked that well when FK did it, and a bit about the *psychology* behind it and even the *misdirection* it created.

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4434 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Search for Kaps here and for 4 booklets will show up:
http://www.magicinc.net/
Magic is very fun!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-06 04:00, Kjellstrom wrote:
Search for Kaps here and for 4 booklets will show up:
http://www.magicinc.net/
Thanx for the link!
I always wanted the Jelsma booklet -which I knew existed-, and I never had.. I ordered it now..just for the collection of FK material and joy..

The other stuff, his lecture notes I have, re Kaps on Cards an Coins I have on video, unfortunately bad quality though.. Smile

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 5:44am
----------------------------------------
More thoughts..
One has also to read:
Pabular Vol. 1, No.7, March 1975, pages 82-83 re Fred Kaps' thinking on magic..
I just reread, everybody should!!!....

One single sentence out of this:
The professional doesn't want to think about tables and props when he is performing. He is too busy being a pro. He wants attention to HIM, not on his surroundings.

Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 01:48, sidesteal wrote:
Hi,

Fred Kaps Homing Card Routine

Can anyone help regarding the source for this trick? I would like to offer it for sale and need to know if it in exists in book form or packet trick, etc.

Fred Kaps is a particular favourite of mine, and it would delight me if I could master it.

It was featured on UK Channel 4 - "Heroes of Magic" and is probably one of the funniest routines you can do with cards - if performed as well as FK...

I hope someone is familiar with this, or knows someone who is, it would be great to know.

Many thanks

I'm confused. I'm sorry if I'm not reading your post right.

You want to offer it for sale?

You say it would delight you to master it, which implies that you haven't performed it that much yet...and probably haven't contributed anything original to it yet...and probably don't have a deep understanding of the effect yet...and probably don't know much about it beyond the performance you saw on video...

...and you want to offer it for sale?

Is there anything about it that's yours?
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
WOW, that's quite an attack Mr Magic Traveller

It would have been nicer to clear this up in a private message.....but anyway...

Fred Kaps has been an inspiration to me over the years. Through reading about him and collecting video of his performances has been a delight.

I always try to reconstruct most card tricks I see, before I ask to find out its source. As you don't know me, you can hardly assume that I havent practised it much yet, not contributed anything of my own to it or have a deep understanding of the effect. How deep is your understanding? After all, I believe Fred Kaps had been the biggest advocators of performance over method(effect) since Dia Vernon.

I really and honestly do NOT know (at the time of writing) HOW FK achieved the ending in his routine. I do NOT know every secret in Magic, but I reconstructed everything jsut as he did, purely by my own effort and skill+knowledge.

I wager that it is a simple mechanism (gimmick, sleight or otherwise) that achieves this ending, but through my years in Magic (less than others, greater than some) has taught me that a "deep understanding" is needed regarding the performance, more so than the effect itself. More attention is (or should be) given to performance, seating, positioning, patter,angles etc, than any other aspect of the trick. Therefore I completely object to your comments regarding ALL your assumptions - as that is what they can only be - you do not know me personally do you? So on who's authority can you make these?

I suggest that next time you post publicly what YOU percieve to be correct - you refrain, and simply find out the facts first.

All to often in the retail of Magic, shops (online or otherwise) tend to stock everything that is available, regardless of its true quality.

Do you assume also that as a retailer of Magic, I am NOT allowed to offer (showcase) such a quality item? If so, I would love to know why........

Regards
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-06 23:56, sidesteal wrote:

I really and honestly do NOT know (at the time of writing) HOW FK achieved the ending in his routine.
<snip>
I wager that it is a simple mechanism (gimmick, sleight or otherwise) that achieves this ending,
What???
You don't know??
Strange!
It's so easy to se..
He did use a move similar to the one used by Max Malini to *change* the face of the card..
It's called a colourchange Smile
Just done without a deck, solely the card(s) and the hand position is vertical instead of horizontally as nomallly in a colourchange..

Note his misdirection during this move...

Strange enough *I* always thought this last move was the only weak point in this routine, seen from magicians point of view (as if it did matter) but now I can se by your remark, it is not.. Smile

Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Sidesteal,

It's not so much an attack as an honest inquiry. I find myself really puzzled by someone who says they saw something on TV and based on that alone, they would like to market it. This is especially on the heels of the understanding that the person who simply saw it and would like to market it doesn't even really know how all of it works.

But the disturbing thing about it really is that you've never asked if it's within your rights to sell it. The assumption seems to be (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that just because you saw it and once you know how it works, you can sell it. This is the issue that I find problematic.

But by all means, as has been noted, it's in Showstoppers With Cards, so sell away!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26046 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 01:48, sidesteal wrote:
...I would like to offer it for sale and need to know if it in exists in book form or packet trick, etc....

I don't understand this part of your post. What do you mean about offering a routine for sale?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

The Fred Kaps handling and presentation -in my mind- is *copyright* his estate/widow.

HE made it the trick it is. HE took it out of practicaly 'nothing' and made a masterpiece out of it.
Everybody else did read it and didn't spend any time on it, neither recognizing its value.

Only a true professional can!!!

Tielie
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of Tielie
I also said this on another forum where he asked this but I find it sick and disgusting to sell a routine by this legend, only for your own wallet's pleasure. Easy money is in this case very dirty money I think.
Deal cards, not drugs!
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of frankw
James Swain has published a version that Bill Malone used, in Miracles with cards page 36-40 Also the finale is a little bit different but I think this version is more for close up conditions and not for stage.
I think there is also a version with jumbo cards on the market, from Trevor Lewis?
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
Fine then lads...

I won't sell it.

Understood, thank you.

Regards.

P.S. I am gutted. But you are all saying its too good to go on sale, so I wont. I reserve the right to change my mind. Like I did this morning on the phone to my magic wholesaler, to CANCEL the payment for a dozen booklets "Showstoppers with Cards" by Hugard
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

I never said it was too good to sell. I just questioned your entitlement to sell it.

I tell you...I could never be a magic dealer...
Nik_Mikas
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
159 Posts

Profile of Nik_Mikas
No one is saying it is too good to sell (even though it is). We are saying it isn't yours to sell and make money off. If you still don't get that, then you are not the right person to be selling magic...
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18245 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You want to offer it for sale. It is already an item that was sold. It was in Show Stoppers by Hugard.

That is the method.

The presentation, the acting, the performance of Kaps was all Kaps. That you cannot sell.

Nobody, other than his two daughters (the Kaps Estate) has any rights to what Fred did.

The Kaps DVD was produced with all rights and all clearances obtained and paid for. That's why it cost what it does.

Trevor Lewis created another version from the original in Hugard's and Bob Sheets, in concert with Lewis has a marketed version with cards between poker and jumbo size.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4434 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Other world famous routines performed by the King of magic:

Fred Kaps Coins and Silk (invented by Vernon and taught to Kaps)

Fred Kaps Currency

Fred Kaps Homing Card

Fred Kaps Floating Cork

Fred Kaps Chinatown Coin

Fred Kaps Purse

Fred Kaps Coin Off Ribbon

Fred Kaps The Signed Card in Box

Fred Kaps Wallet

Fred Kaps Sidewalk Shuffle

Fred Kaps Matting Copper/Silver Coin

Fred Kaps Smoke to Glass

Fred Kaps Smoke in Thumb

Fred Kaps Migration Miracle, he performed it several times on TV.

Fred Kaps Touch

Fred Kaps I Am In Debt

E-Z Money Fred Kaps & P. Page

Curse Of The Rasta Fred Kaps & P. Kane
Magic is very fun!
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:

sidesteal,

By all means, if you want to buy printed material from a supplier and sell it, go ahead. That's not a problem. What you seemed to say in your first post was that you simply saw Fred Kaps do a routine on TV, wanted to learn how it was done, and sell it. What I (and I think others) read was that you wanted to sell Fred Kaps's work simply because you were fortunate enough to see a clip of it.

No one will raise the slightest complaint if you order and sell Showstoppers With Cards as part of your retail line. But if you sell something called "The Fred Kaps Homing Card Routine," that's a bit different. As far as I can understand the issue, you're not entitled to sell Fred Kaps' work, particularly if your only claim to it is that you simply saw it.

Regards...
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
I am sorry for ANY confusion that arose from my original post.

I know enough about Magic to respect the intellectual property of others, respect for originality and Plagiarism.

I would never have sold "Homing Card" as a stand alone item - either with or without FK's patter and presentation. But, my original question was "where is its source" and thankfully, that got answered somewhere along the line!

Even after buying "showstoppers.." I didn't expect FK's patter to be in there either!!! And I completely recognise the ownership of the effect as FK's.

All I was after was to find out its source, I have, I will be selling it - thank you for all the constructive posts on this, and my aplologies to those who took it wrongly and rebuked me.

Subject closed ..........?

Regards
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Definitely closed.

And best of luck to you.
sidesteal
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sidesteal
Quote:
On 2004-11-07 07:24, Tielie wrote:
I also said this on another forum where he asked this but I find it sick and disgusting to sell a routine by this legend,

It wasnt you that I was offended by Open Traveller......but again, maybe this quote is my fault too.....
Watch Magic Videos

Buy Magic and Sell Magic

Now its YOUR Magic Shop!
dannydaniels
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of dannydaniels
I don't know why, but in Germany here, I have learned the Fred Kaps Homing Card marketed under that exact name. It was with Fred's photo on the front, the packet of cards and the complete handling. I borrowed it from my friend (professional magician) and after studying it over, the exact - and I mean EXACT handling (I can follow all the moves on my video of Fred's British TV Special). I then loaned it to another professional magician here, and haven't seen it for years. I perform the routine in the handling that Fred used, but, no one that I know of can come close to his face, his mimics, his smiles, his spirit and his acting. So, even though I can perform it smoothly, I have yet to perform it publicly as much as I would because it's all in the presentation, and I haven't seen anyone come close to that feel that Fred blessed us with.

And, Sidesteal, you site is not yet working. Are you a newcomer to the magic market? I understand that you wanted to market the Kaps Routine, but it has already been done so here in Germany. I just need to get back the 11 x 14 inch booklet (with photos and all) to find out who produced this. But, it is the genuine handling, to say the least. It looks Kaps authorised, but I cannot attest to that at the moment, seeing I don't have the booklet.
I'm not confused... I just don't know yet.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-03-12 06:41, dannydaniels wrote:
It looks Kaps authorised, but I cannot attest to that at the moment, seeing I don't have the booklet.
I'm pretty sure it's not authorised!

dannydaniels
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of dannydaniels
[quote]On 2005-03-12 07:08, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-12 06:41, dannydaniels wrote:
It looks Kaps authorised, but I cannot attest to that at the moment, seeing I don't have the booklet.
I'm pretty sure it's not authorised!

Will post the details when I get the manuscript back.

Pardon my last entry... I don't know how this quote thing works. I wanted your quote in small font, Werner, but got the results above. Smile
I'm not confused... I just don't know yet.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
One of the most anticipated and hyped moments in television history was the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. The crowd of teen girl fans was litarally hysterical. What could follow such effusive hysteria? Fred Kaps doing the Homing Card with standard size cards in an auditorium.
Amazingly, Kaps had the audience in the palm of his hand. You can buy a DVD of famous Sullivan shows and see Kaps mastery in action...a great lesson in how to capture and hold the most difficult of audiences.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-03-13 03:27, Glenn Godsey wrote:
You can buy a DVD of famous Sullivan shows and see Kaps mastery in action...Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Glenn, is that on the *Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles* DVD or one the *The Beatles - The First U.S. Visit * ?

Quote:
On 2005-03-13 02:50, dannydaniels wrote:
Will post the details when I get the manuscript back.
Thanx, that would be interesting..
Fact is, that Fred Kaps -of course- didn't release/publish his handling, nor allowed anybody to put it into print, whilst he still was alive, and the only person(s) that would have been able to give permissing where his wife Nel, now deceased, and later his daughters.
This is the estate of Fred Kaps..and IF it was released, it most certainly would be via Dick Koornwinder..so I'm pretty sure the manus put out is a pirate- and unauthorised version.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Fred Kaps Homing Card Routine (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.514263 seconds, requiring 112 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [2] [9] [2] [6] [7] [2]