The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Frayed ends » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I'm relatively new to rope magic. I just went out and bought about 50 feet of rope for an upcoming gig. I want to do professor's nightmare. How to I keep the ends of the ropes from getting frayed after I cut them so I can use them for a while? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Dann
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Take the ends of the rope and dip them in white glue. That will cure the problem.
Jim
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hey Jim,
Nice to run into you again. Thanks for the help. I'll do that.
Dann
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Or you can tuck the ends inside themself, but that's only if you've removed the 'core'.

ollie
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Use sewing thread instead..it takes a little longer to do, but works well.

I always use it starting up with a needle, run it right through the rope approx. one cm from the end and roll it AROUND the rope a couple of times, then again through the center of the rope (using the needle still on) and the make a few knots using the ends of that sewing thread used..

After this, cut the rope with scissors approx.5 mm's wherefrom the sewingthread around the rope is placed...

Will last a lifetime and doesn't make the rope ends looking unnatural or makes them stiff..if you don't use too much strength when rolling the sewingthread around the rope, you neither get any *groove*, but actually it doesn't matter. One can also stick the needle with thread a couple of times through the rope to secure the work..any method almost is possible to use. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
RS
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of RS
Check your local fabric store. They have some suff called frayed stop or something.
RS
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I usually want some freying to get a natural effect. To prevent excess freying, I usually wrap a piece of tape tightly about 1 inch from the end and trim the excess as it freys out. that way the freying is limited and I keep a nice natural appearance at the end of the rope.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I just wrap some white electricians tape around the end of the ropes
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dip them in elmer's white glue. Smooth off excess. Let dry. Will last for years.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks for the help everyone. I went with the Elmer's glue. Seems to work great.
Dann
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I put glue on the ends and then put tap on the ends to make it look good.
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Or you can tuck the ends into the center AND glue them as well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Frayed ends » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL