The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Retaining The Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Hi All,

I'm currently putting together a new card act and plan to use a full deck stack as I'll be doing some memorised deck work later on in the routine.

I'm looking for effects which leave the entire deck in the same order. I've got a few ideas including a face up/face down zarrow whreby the chosen card is the only card left reversed.

Any ideas which keep the deck in the same order would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid using a cold deck if I can.

I have no problems false shuffling like crazy as the act already has several pull through and zarrows.

Thanks,

- Chris
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Lennart Green is your man. His moves for this are easy and very strong.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Honestly, if you can get your hands on "Mnemonica", you'll have a good source for finding effects that fulfill your requirements here.
tjo'
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Simon Aronson's new book, "Try the Impossible".

Taken from Mr. Aronson's Web Page http://www.simonaronson.com

An all-new, in-depth look at the Aronson Stack, with over 25 new effects that require no memorization and retain the entire stack intact!

If you take a look at his web site under the Magician Only section he has a handful of effects that do exactly what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Thanks jcigam you answered my question wonderfully.

Just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Thanks again,

- Chris.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi Chris,

I would be curious to hear your reason(s) why you cannot use a deck switch...

Please let me (us) know.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
If you think about it, there are lots of effects that can be retooled so that just a few cards are displaced. A quick spread cull will let you restore the stacked deck order. Mnemonica also has a few strategies for putting slightly altered stacks back in order.

Here are a few effects that don't disturb the stack very much:

Haunted Pack
Triumph (with a thought-of card, if you wish)
Card Blendo (found in Card College Vol. 5)
Pick-off Pip
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I have no problems with using a switch and just may end up using one, but if it can be done without a switch, GREAT! If simplicity is a factor I can focus soley on my presentation and let the words to the work. I like to keep the cards in full view at all times as I constantly advertise complete fairness and welcome, "burning my hands".

I'm looking to make a clean, fair, and personal performance.

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far.

-Chris.
etawil
View Profile
New user
New York
64 Posts

Profile of etawil
One classic source on this issue is Ravelli's essay on "delayed setups" in IBIDEM Volume 2 (at the end of the reprint of the volume). I think the original issue would have been IBIDEM 28, April 1963. --Ezra.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Retaining The Stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL