The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jermay's Fang (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
His Coral Fang, anyway.

I did a search here and was amazed no one's posted anything on this yet.

I only got the booklet two days ago, so won't review it properly, just give you my opening thoughts, for what they're worth.

Here's the official blurb...

"Touching on Hoy:

Which is in my opinion the best thing I have ever come up with. Simple, direct and strong. Three people think of different things. You then reveal what each person is thinking of. No pre show work, no props, no stooges, no kidding

The Dangerous Opener:

The performer influences a spectator to select the safe bag for him to crush. He slams his hand down on the selected bag revealing under the bag left, an upturned razor sharp knife. A 100% safe version of the modern day classic. No pre show work, no danger, no stooging.

Pre - Show Scripting: A powerful model to be used for pre show work. It allows the performer to reveal much more during performance with no extra effort.

The Psychic VS Psychological Performance

An essay that features a model of scripting to allow the performer to involve all types of audiences in his performances. This scripting allows the performer to appeal to both the sceptical members of the audience and the true believes without offending either party. It also means the mentalist has the potential to work within both market places.

Blowing Bubbles:

The performer reads the mind of a spectator who is visibly seen to react the moment the thought leaves their mind. They also confirm the fact that they felt you reach into their mind and remove that very thought.

Phone Prediction:

A novel and entertaining prediction effect with a very different climax. We will let you discover this one for yourself!

PK Lip Stick

A stunning twist on the modern day classic. Bridging the world of the unreal and the magickal.

Blindfold Sequence.

A member of your audience is blindfolded while another focuses on a number they think of. Amazingly and with no pre show work or stooging the blindfolded spectator accurately reveals the number focused upon. This could be used as much more than numbers."

First off, this is for performers as opposed to people who perform for their friends and family in homes and pubs. It's stuff which needs a crowd to appreciate it, so if you only perform to a handful of people at a time it's probably not worth it.

LJ has come in for a lot of criticism for various reasons and most people IMHO seem to be in the love him or hate him camp.

The CF is, in size, similar to 7 Deceptions and my first thoughts are those who perform to crowds - and who know and like his work - will like this. Those who don't wont.

Early comment on Dangerous Opener: Yes, it's 100 per cent safe, but you need to be good at managing your specs and not picking a moron who's just out to stich you up. Of course, you can spot these I guess when your mid flow, but therein lies the danger of using it as an opener. Mind you - from threads I've read here and from what scripting ideas are in CF, I guess it shouldn't be too much of a concern!

The CF iteslf seems like a natural progression from 7D (more so than from BB), so I'll probably post more when I've had time to read and roadtest.

Mind you - big gigs for me are hard to get so that may be a while!

Plus, I'm lazy Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Hi Withnail,

Thanks for that great review of CF. I personally love Lukes work. I incorporated some of his routiens and they workes well so far. One is the safe danger routinge out of building blocks.

It took me a time to practice of course. Since I already had knowledge of suggetion techniques and NLP it was a bit easier for me.

I'm looking forward very impatiently reading CF when I will receive it.

Thanks again Whithnail. My impatience is getting bigger due to your review.

Do you still use some of Luke work?

Regards

Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
So, can you do this close up? it sounds like its for stage, but I'm confused
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I really loved this publication.

Every effect in this book I want to put in my show. This is coming from someone who is quite picky about keeping my show quite original. The effects in Coral Fang are very well constructed and beautifully thought out.

-George Tait
Next
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Next
Where can you purchase this? It's a manuscript correct? I haven't heard a single thing about it.

Thanks.

- Next
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
You can purchase it on: http://www.alakazam.com
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 01:29, philipmac wrote:
You can purchase it on: http://www.alakazam.com

I believe you meant: http://www.alakazam.co.uk/
JohnGL
View Profile
New user
Northridge, CA
21 Posts

Profile of JohnGL
'Touching on Hoy' is probably the best effect I've seen since PK touches. It's a great stage and/or parlor routine.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thanks for posting this Withnail!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
'Touching On Hoy' is completely and utterly brilliant and almost shouldn't be allowed
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
So it’s true, you guys CAN’T keep a secret… j/k.
‘Touching on Hoy’ is such a logical next-step development from the original it’s a wonder no-one had developed this before.

Nick.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Sorry I took so long posting back.

To go with the common consensus, TOH is the best effect by streets, and indeed, a great logical progression from Psyc Subtleties.

Some of the Fang can be used close up, as in close proximity, but this is definately for stage workers.

Most of the stuff I do is for free shows for about 20-30 people and some of it should be great. If the crowd is 20 or 30 people who don't really know each other, most of it will be awsome! Those who have the booklet know what I mean!
Next
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Next
I've tried asking this in another post, with no luck. Where is the best place to start regarding "psychological magic and mentalism"?

Would "Psychological Subtleties" be a good starting point, then move on to other things from there?

Thanks.

- Next
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
No. You would make no sense out of Psychological Subtleties if you are a beginner. Pick up Corinda's 13 steps or Cassidy's Fundamentals.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I find Psychological Subtleties to be polishing and ideas to incorporate into already learned mentaism, David is correct, it would be like being given seat covers for your car, only you don't have a car.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Poooo......
I was hopeing this book would stay a secret but the truth will out......
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
This book should stay a secret - it is brilliant work !!
Dark Thought 13
View Profile
Regular user
Washington D.C.
122 Posts

Profile of Dark Thought 13
A great piece of work, I personally prefered this to 7 deceptions and Building Blocks..
Some of it is a little too good...
"I love the one with the plastic thumb!"
Someone who has seen a s*** magician
ScottJ
View Profile
Regular user
Hertfordshire, England.
143 Posts

Profile of ScottJ
Could someone please describe the Touching on Hoy effect? It sounds truly brilliant.

Scott.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Touching on Hoy: Three spectators are sat on three chairs and asked to think of three things, one each. For example someone's name, a shape and a date. The performer names all three things. Nothing is written down, there is no pumping, it's just a quick - but very sharp - bash to the head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jermay's Fang (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL