The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coin in bottle...help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
I've been having a little trouble with my coin in bottle trick. Sometimes when it drops into the bottle it break apart and the secret is lost unless I notice it before anyone else and run into a back room saying "opps...umm..be right back...". Then I take it out and fix it and go on. I read soemwhere that double banding it helps and I've done that but it still happens sometimes. Maybe use a shorter bottle so it doesn't have so far to fall? ANy ideas?

Thanks,
Spiff

PS A great way of giving the coin out for examination is: when taking it out of the bottle have anouther, legit, coin already palmed in that hand and toss it up and someone. EVERYONE follows the coin in the air leaving the other hand VERY free to dump the gaffed one in your pocket.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Get Billy McComb's audio CD or the transcript from the audio for "The Professional Touch" . This trick was a real reputation maker for Billy and at one time he carried and index of over 50 gaffed coins!

A REAL worker and a great CD. Because Billy worked much of the time as a caberet performer, all of the content of this CD applies to the street.

There are two CDs in the set I can't remember if it is on disk one or two but Billy goes into great detail of this trick.

Well worth the investment.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

ahhh but I already bought the coin and have such a very limited budget for an ever increaseing amount of books, videos and CDs. I just need help keeping the one i have from falling apart!

~Spiff
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is an easy solution for this one. Double the bands! Also, don’t expect the bands to last forever. Change them for new ones. These things are cheap and won’t bankrupt you.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Is "The Professional Touch" CD the same as the booklet Billy McComb put out by that name several years ago?

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-09-11 20:41, Joe M. Turner wrote:
Is "The Professional Touch" CD the same as the booklet Billy McComb put out by that name several years ago?

JMT

Identical. It was audio first and transcribed pretty much word for word into the booklet. Then somebody started knocking out CDs. Both CDs are a great value boat loads of info from a real worker.

The second CD is not transcribed in the booklet.

But, Billy specifically goes into how to get out of the broken band situation in one of the CDs it is very clever.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

I'm all for buying books and stuff but I can't afford $10 for a clever solution to this problem. Does anyone else who uses the coin have a nifty patter solution or any other kind they wish to share for free? Thus far I just run away and bring out a new trick.

Much thanks,
Spiff

PS I know he's try'n to make a living and stuff but I'm just a poor student!! Besides its a relativly small tip I'm looking for.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Here's your solution. It sounds like you're actually dropping the gaffed coin in from the top. Try this sometime. Make a real coin apparently penetrate the bottom of the bottle by having the gaffed coin already loaded. Just hold the bottle by the neck horizontally. If you want a detailed description of this presentation email me, I'll send you it.

-Christian Smile
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Magicman01462
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magicman01462
First of all, if your coin is falling apart when it is inside then I think it is time to invest in a "better quality" product. The coin should be able to withstand a lot, I can throw my quarter out the window and it would still stay in tact. I personally don't have a wonderfully cut one, but the coin does manage very well and the bands last for months, so my advice is, buy a new one or get J. B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic for a better routine

best of luck,

Magicman01462
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-09-15 08:21, Magicman01462 wrote:
First of all, if your coin is falling apart when it is inside then I think it is time to invest in a "better quality" product.

If you do the coin in bottle 20 times a day for 4 or 5 days per week sooner or later the band is going to bust on you.

It is knowing what to do in these situations that separates the hacks from the magi and has nothing to do with the quality of the product.

Best,

Dan-

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I encountered the same problem and its not your coin. Its the bottle you picked. Mine started from using a small size vermouth bottle. Same coin I used before without a problem. (sacajawa folder) I thought this light green bottle would be perfect because of the color, not too dark and easy to see the coin. Wrong. The neck of the bottle was shaped funny and had thick and thin bands of glass so as the coin expanded, it hit a thick spot in the glass and one of the wings kicked out, every other time. Double banded it, went over several different texts. Same problem every other time. Traded the green bottle for a medium sized champagne bottle and never had the problem again. Bands also come in different sizes. You may be using a half dollar band on a quarter. I have to use quarter bands on the dollar and change them alot. One of these two should fix it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
My experience has shown a "Corona" beer bottle is perfect. It has a long slender neck and is clear to show the coin. Double banding is good as well. I even soak the bands in Armor All prior to installation. Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Flores Magic
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
54 Posts

Profile of Flores Magic
Here is an easy solution for your folding coin. Find a local orthodontist and ask them if you can have a bag of 3mm(1/8) Elastics. This is a thicker rubber band. It will be a little tuff to get on but they work like a charm.
" Pick a card, any card "
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
Another place to get thicker rubber bands from is your local hardware store, ask them if they have any small, black o-rings, the smaller the better, they need to be black, as the black ones are made of rubber, and are strechy, the clear ones are neoprene, unstrechy and won't work.
Install the o-rings as you would the normal elastic, it will last much longer, as the rubber is higher quality.
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
When it comes to choosing a bottle, look for one with a shallow angle on the neck, if the bottle has a pronounced shoulder the coin is difficult to get out. Smirnoff ice and breezer are bad bottles- corona, miller, becks are good in the UK.
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
105 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
To me it sounds like you'r droping the coin from the top and letting it smash to the bottom. Tilt the bottle slightly and let it slide to the bottom.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Billy McComb's work is well worth the price. Not only do you get the real pro's stuff on the coin in bottle, but a lot of other useful magic and tips as well. Billy is one of the true workers who has done everything, and known everybody, and never forgotten a thing. How much is it worth? It's really only a couple of pizzas and beers in cost. How important is the trick to you? It pays for itself in tips...

I've found that the old-fashioned cut coins with the two wavy cuts hold up much better and last much longer than the "profile" cuts so popular now. The profile cuts will often catch in a broken position even if the band doesn't break.

Paul Diamond used to sell a wonderful coin that was basically the three piece folding coin, each piece with its own locking shell. The shells covered the "rim" of the coin, and also held the band in place really well. These never seemed to break. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Also, Richard Himber had a folding coin with a loose fitting shell over the whole coin. This enabled him to stick a paper circle on the folding coin side, which a spectator could initial. The paper covered the folds, and the shell acted as the second coin. The spectators saw their signed coin, which they had held, inside the bottle.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Guess you could use a folder with an expanded shell, correct?
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
How about this approach to the bands slipping... I have the symetrically folding 3-in-1 quarter and have not tried this yet. What if you added some sort or removable adhesive(oxymoron?) to the groove of the coin near the cuts, so as the folding occurs the bands are not able to simply pop out the side. Should be able to stand up to some serious abuse then......

Maybe a putty of some sort would do the trick nice and simple.
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
I use a Corona bottle.. Never a Problem,

Also.. Look at the 8 edges (cornors) of your coin to see if there is any Burs that may Cut your bands. Especially at the seam of the pieces.. Replace and Double Band your coin...

Good Luck

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coin in bottle...help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL