The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2005 entrée: David Williamson » » Secret For Rocky » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13103 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hi David, and welcome to the Café.

David, my question centers around Rocky. You make that little guy seem So alive. Besides the obvious "lots of practice," is there a secret that you could share on how you are able to create the illusion of life with the little guy? Is it technique, belief, or a combination of the two? Thanks for your answer!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4276 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Check out "Sleight of Dave", He goes over some rocky techniques....
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

Profile of David Williamson
Yes there are a few techniques, but mostly rember to use the stored energy in the spring to give you quick movements. If you bend his head one way, don't bend it back - just release the spring-let go and the head will snap back. So the short answer is use the spring to your advantage.

The other thing is to give him a personality. In your head make up what kind of guy he is-shy? stupid? eager? Then play with that. Pretend he's really from the woods and hold conversations with him. Sound weird-but that's what I did.

It helps to stand behind a counter for two years and try to pitch him to tourists. The best rocky guy I ever saw is Dennis Sowers, he taught me. The *** thing really came to life in his hands. He'd be standing there talking about something and the raccoon in his hand had a completely different agenda. It would get all aggitated if Dennis did't feed him fast enough or if there was a noise down the hall he'd want to investigate-like a real animal. Dennis seemed oblivious to it all. Maybe he was-it was second nature to him. He sold millions of those things.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13103 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Holy cow! Now you really got me goin'! Thanks Dave. That was more helpful than you will ever know.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Don´t you think that there are some copies of your rocky presentation out there David?
how do you feel about that?
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

No, I copied others as well. The Magic Master's pitch was the basis for what I do with Rocky. I didn't come up with that. There were members of the Royal Order of the Raccoon before I came along, and after. Ken Fletcher (owner of the Magic Masters chain) taught me much about selling magic to people and especially what makes rocky work. Jeff Justice, Dennis Sowers and Mike Abston were the true "Lords of the Springs"

hey-I just made that up...I'll use it!

The thing where he jumps out and catches a card is my idea. Milt Larsen was producing a TV show- Magician's Favorite Magicians and he called me and he asked what kind of routine I could do out in the crowd. Out of panic I blurted out the idea for this routine, even though I had no idea how I would do it. Nick Ruggerio of collector's workshop made the "raccoon launcher" for me. I booked a week at the Magic Castle before the show so that I could work the kinks out of the routine. Carney helped with some ideas.

I had so much fun at the Castle that I blew my voice out-and almost could't be on the show!
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
That´s cool.
I think about buying a rocky myself and copy your presentation ;-)
(it´s good - that´s all I want to say)
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Hi, David, and welcome.

I'm glad this topic came up. Your performance with Rocky on ABC Family channel is one of the most memorable pieces of magic my wife and I have seen. (Watching you literally pull volunteers out of the audience was pretty funny too.)

Thanks for the laughs!
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
I agree! Your Rocky work is great! Still working on my own routine (and failing)...
Consultant, performer, creator, and all around nice guy!
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
David... quit lying... you use a live raccoon.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
588 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2005-01-02 13:28, David Williamson wrote:
hey-I just made that up...I'll use it!

David is it true that this is the way you come up with most of your comedy, on the fly.

If so, do you have a method of recording and saving new material?

Ron Calhoun, President of the DW fan Club KY Chapter.
I make videos
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

David how big are you? Based on your photo you have to be the smallest magician working today! Don't you think so Pete?
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Actually David J. Greens is not "the smallest magician working today", those are the School for Scoundrels Trade Show shells (from Whit Hayden and Chef Anton: http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/street_magic.htm )

I know the feeling, as I thought the same thing when I first saw his picture!!!

But, then he is still probably small from your tall perpective!!! ;-)

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

Ronnie

I knew that. It was a joke.

but thanks for the link anyway!
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
"I knew that. It was a joke."

of course that is what they all say after!!!
(just kidding) Smile

Ronnie -- who wishes you never had mass produced "Card Farm", as he would have been the only one in Montreal with that material!!!
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
No, Ronnie. Those are the Street Shells. David Greene really is that tiny.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Whit Happens! (Whit hates me when I use that line). Those are standard shells but he has BIG BALLS.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

Whit! I hear Donald Trump loves your magic! I do too!

(Hey guys, what's with the chin? I didn't get the memo.)
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
Geesh, I feel like I'm being "sized up"! Seriously, I wish you gave private lessons on Rocky (Hey, do you? PM me). I feel like I need all the help I can get (yes I have the DVDs...you signed them remember? Yes, it's me the annoying one!)

Anyway...

saturnin,
Yes I am "the smallest magician". Have you heard of me? No? I tried to hit the big time, but slipped and fell into the small time...
Consultant, performer, creator, and all around nice guy!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
From what I heard, Donald is very picky, no color-changing knives, no coins, and he hates card tricks... That was a funny bit, David. Just when I thought I had put it behind me...

Pete and I are just trying to cover our second chins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2005 entrée: David Williamson » » Secret For Rocky » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL