The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2005 entrée: David Williamson » » Johnny Brown » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Dave, could you please post some lines re that very competent -unfortunately departed- Texas restaurantperformer Johnny Brown, as I recall, he did teach you the drummers wandspin way back?

If I'm not entirely mistaken, he's not too well known amongst nowadays magicians, but Lonnie Chevrie too highly priced Johnny's work..maybe you can let us know a bit more, eg. did he have any other influence on you and your work or was it 'just' the wandspin that stayed ?
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Denver
636 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Don't know what DW has to say, but I had the good fortune to session with Johnny Brown once and I will never forget his incredible magic and the aura of joy he radiated when he performed ...
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

Profile of David Williamson
Danny's right. Johnny was one of those people who seemed born to it. I loved his ball and cone routine and does anyone remember sensuous string? What a great effect. Two completely seperate lengths of string are slowly joined together to make 1 long string, then handed out for examination.

He was also a terrific painter.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
He also had a great color-changing knife routine, and was an inspiration for my routine.

His double tear Gene Anderson newspaper tear was something I have used many times. He was a great gentleman as well.

I didn't know he was a painter.
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

My buddy Bruce Allen and I spent an afternoon at his house and he did so many wonderful things for us. I can't remember them all. I do remember that he did his entire school show for us right there in his living room. It was great. He had me on the floor with his byplay with the kids.

Bruce and I were the stand-ins for the kids.
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
Johnny Brown was a dear friend of mine. I'll mention a few other routines. His cut and restored tie was brilliant and very funny. He was most proud of his "dog in a box" routine. Has anyone here seen his coin and glass routine? A coin visibly penetrated the bottom of a glass while a spectator held it. Awesome. Johnny was da man!
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
5 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
Being in the Dallas area, I had the good fortune of "hanging" with Johnny Brown through our Local IBM chapter for many years... I tried to soak up as much from him as I could! I could watch his cone and ball routine forever and still feel like a ten year old kid being amazed for the first time! He was one of the most wonderful, funny, magicians (hmmm... sounds a lot like David!)the magic commmunity ever had. I've been a big fan of yours since Williamsons wonders and I still perform many of hte routines I learned from you! Keep making us laugh and keep up the good magic! Thanks for stopping by the forums!

(and btw, yes my real name IS Jeff McBride)
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
355 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
I can vaguely recall reading somewhere that two small books featuring Johnny Brown's magic were published several years ago.

Can anyone confirm this?
"One arrow. One life."
David Williamson
View Profile
V.I.P.
190 Posts

The dog in the box routine was the highlite of his kids show. Wonderful! And I do his coin in glass trick, he told me he was hired to do strolling and he only did that trick all night!
DyeTube
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
5 Posts

Profile of DyeTube
I can believe that! Johnny made things come to life. I still remember the first thing Johnny ever did for me, it was the balducci levitation (although he did it a little differently: he was prending to push him self off the ground while I was standing to his side) but he didn't do it as a magic trick and this completely caught me off gaurd! I see a lot of that in your magic. which I guess is why I like what you do so much. It catches people a little off guard and makes them appreciate the effect so much better!

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 7:50am
If anyone knows of books by Johnny brown let me know! I'd love to get them! (I'll ask some of the local magicians here and see if they know of any (and they would).
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 06:09, John Pezzullo wrote:
I can vaguely recall reading somewhere that two small books featuring Johnny Brown's magic were published several years ago.

Can anyone confirm this?

The books in question are:

Isn't That Good !?! the magic of Johnny Brown "Does it look good from where you sit?" by Father Bandy. Published in 1974 by John Standridge, Mesquite, Texas. 102 pages.

and

Go Ahead, I'll Wait! More Magic of Johnny Brown "Better than the first?" "Looks good from where I sit!" by Father Bandy. Published in 1975 also by John Standridge. 100 pages.

They are long out of print.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

@Bill Wells,
thanx for the info..more to hunt...
BTW, discovered some time back, we are of the same *age*..doesn't this feel old ? Smile

John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
355 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 00:28, BillWells wrote:

The books in question are:

Isn't That Good !?! the magic of Johnny Brown "Does it look good from where you sit?" by Father Bandy. Published in 1974 by John Standridge, Mesquite, Texas. 102 pages.

and

Go Ahead, I'll Wait! More Magic of Johnny Brown "Better than the first?" "Looks good from where I sit!" by Father Bandy. Published in 1975 also by John Standridge. 100 pages.

They are long out of print.

Thanks !!
"One arrow. One life."
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Denver
636 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Johnny's Dog in the Box was hilarious and his Coin thru Glass was totally amazing ... in fact everything he did was great ...
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 03:56, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

BTW, discovered some time back, we are of the same *age*..doesn't this feel old ? Smile

Werner -

yes, it does feel old, but when ones considers the alternative, it feels great!!!

Be sure to stay on the green side!!

Bill
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-06 14:15, BillWells wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 03:56, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

Werner -

Yes, it does feel old. However, when one considers the alternative, it feels great!

Be sure to stay on the green side.

Bill
Good point Bill Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2005 entrée: David Williamson » » Johnny Brown » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL